Recent Rare Game Reprints...

Amano

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
I morely just want to know if I'm missing anything that may have been reprinted. So far I know about the following...

Disgaea (PS2 - third reprint)
Persona 2 (PSone)
Rhapsody (PSone)
Gitaroo Man (PS2)
Rez (PS2)

And I think I recall Atlus recently putting out another printing of the following:

Digital Devil Saga vol. 1
SMT: Nocturne
Riviera
Atelier Iris (Atlus distributed)
Makai Kingdom (Atlus distributed)

Am I missing anything? I'm worried I can't keep up wit this...news... anymore, which I never find out about until after I buy.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Update: (12/07/05)

Here's the compiled list so far. Let me know if anyone else knows of any others or if I just have something that's incorrect.

PS1

Breath of Fire IV
Dance Dance Revolution: Konamix (GH)
Persona 2: Eternal Punishment
Rhapsody: A Magical Adventure
Saiyuki: The Journey West
Vagrant Story (GH)

PS2

.hack//MUTATION
Disgaea
Gitaroo Man
Lowrider (?)
Rez
Shadow Hearts (SH:C Pre-Order Bonus)
Shadow Hearts: Covenant (?)

CUBE

Cubevoire
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 3

.hack 2 Mutation (PS2)
Cubivore (Cube)
RE2,3 ( Cube)

I have a feeling Star Ocean The Second Story and Suikoden 2 will be reprinted.

[quote name='Amano']

And I think I recall Atlus recently putting out another printing of the following:

Digital Devil Saga vol. 1
SMT: Nocturne
Riviera
Atelier Iris (Atlus distributed)
Makai Kingdom (Atlus distributed)

Am I missing anything? I'm worried I can't keep up wit this...news... anymore, which I never find out about until after I buy.[/QUOTE]

OH NO! What happened to Atlus?! I'm glad I'm out.

[quote name='masha'].hack 2 Mutation (PS2)
Cubivore (Cube)
RE2,3 ( Cube)

I have a feeling Star Ocean The Second Story and Suikoden 2 will be reprinted.
[/QUOTE]

Excellent. I didn't know Mutation was reprinted. Odd, considering it seems to be the harder one to find, at least around here.

Suikoden 2 would be a blessing. It's not like it's rare right now or anything, it just has incredibly high demand for some reason. Same with Disgaea, though there seems to be an over-abundance of this game now from what I hear. Star Ocean I'm not too sure on, though. SE did give Xenogears another printing, so I guess games like Star Ocean and Valkyrie Profile aren't out of the picture.

Makes me irrate as a collector, but happy as a gamer, ya know? At least it makes me all warm and fuzzy knowing I have an actual original of Rhapsody. :cry:

Star ocean was reprinted a while ago, I think BOF 4 was reprinted, gamestops have been flooded with them for the last 6 months to a year. A new one just opened and had like 7 or 8.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']I don't think Rez got reprinted. It was a rumor, but never happened.[/QUOTE]
it just did like 2 days ago.

Heh. Right on a couple of days ago.

I remember the BoF4 flood at Gamestop too, now that you mention it.

Vagrant Story seems to have gotten a reprint as a Greatest Hits as of late, too. (New or old news, I don't know).

Hey, any news on a possible reprint of Saiyuki: Journey West for PSone by Koei? I saw two in perfectly new, "used" copies at my local Gamestop today.

Yeah, I hadn't heard anything about it either. GQD still had some from the original print run for $59.99 a month or two back, but they're sold out now. But I might as well dump my used one on Amazon while it's worth something - I have a new one coming in the mail from a trade anyway.

[quote name='Amano']Hey, any news on a possible reprint of Saiyuki: Journey West for PSone by Koei? I saw two in perfectly new, "used" copies at my local Gamestop today.[/QUOTE]

I think there was talk of the copies of Saiyuki showing up at Gamestops, were reprints. There is a thread about it in the deals forum.

Video games don't make good investments. Do not buy to collect games from the current generation as investments in rarity. You're a fool to do it. Anyone who bought Puzzle Fighter or Rhapsody as an investment has egg on their faces.

It never works, people. You have to wait YEARS for the dust to settle to figure out what's hard to find. Hell... people thought (and still think) that NCAA Basketball for the Gamecube is a rarity. I'm sorry, it isn't. And anyone who paid $100+ for a copy on ebay has buyer's regret.

Wise, completely, and it took the Rhapsody/Persona 2 thing to make me realize it. Unfortunately, I only have a small number of games I still need. I doubt it'll occupy me for a long while (like the duration of half next gen's lifespan), but you're right. It's time to get back to basics.

My advice is to pace yourself and not go apeshit ballistic just because some current gen game is being dumped for $100+ a pop on Ebay.

Do NOT buy PS1 games for investment. Sony recently waved their royalties for PS1 games sold. That means that companies such as Capcom can publish 'cult hit' games like Puzzle Fighter for $20 each and make it all profit because they're not paying royalties to Sony anymore. Many other companies have followed suit. Konami is going to reprint Castlevania Chronicles. This is why you don't invest in modern machines. It takes many, many years to determine what is hard to find and what isn't. You want rare PS2 games? The only sure-fire rarities will be the Kiosk discs given to retailers, and even those won't be worth money for at least a decade, possibly decades with an 's'. Diddo for the Gamecube Kiosks.

You want to collect modern machines? Your motives for doing so should be to have either a complete collection, for the 'WOW' factor, or just for the sake of playing the games (yeah, you can play the games in addition to collecting them).

But for god's sake, don't buy games as investments. You'll only end up with a lighter wallet and a copy of $300 Makai Kingdom that is worth less then $10.

[quote name='Survivor Charlie'] Konami is going to reprint Castlevania Chronicles. [/QUOTE]

Just wanted to ask if there's any confirmation on this. I have a copy thanks to a trade on here (illennium is the MAN btw). I don't care so much for collector's value and have no problem with reprints, so I'm not focusing on that...

Just wanted to say that Iga has gone on record as saying that the small run of CC was meant for hardcore Castlevania fans and that he has no intention of it getting reprinted.

I don't know how that factors into reprint situations - if another company can come in and handle it themselves or whatever - but this particular game might not quite get reprints.

Of course if I'm wrong, then I highly suggest CAGs pick themselves up a copy. It's quite good. :)

[quote name='Survivor Charlie']Konami is going to reprint Castlevania Chronicles.[/QUOTE]

News to me. When was this announced? Link? Publication?

I'm in for one if this is true.

[quote name='Survivor Charlie']My advice is to pace yourself and not go apeshit ballistic just because some current gen game is being dumped for $100+ a pop on Ebay.

Do NOT buy PS1 games for investment. Sony recently waved their royalties for PS1 games sold. That means that companies such as Capcom can publish 'cult hit' games like Puzzle Fighter for $20 each and make it all profit because they're not paying royalties to Sony anymore. Many other companies have followed suit. Konami is going to reprint Castlevania Chronicles. This is why you don't invest in modern machines. It takes many, many years to determine what is hard to find and what isn't. You want rare PS2 games? The only sure-fire rarities will be the Kiosk discs given to retailers, and even those won't be worth money for at least a decade, possibly decades with an 's'. Diddo for the Gamecube Kiosks.

You want to collect modern machines? Your motives for doing so should be to have either a complete collection, for the 'WOW' factor, or just for the sake of playing the games (yeah, you can play the games in addition to collecting them).

But for god's sake, don't buy games as investments. You'll only end up with a lighter wallet and a copy of $300 Makai Kingdom that is worth less then $10.[/QUOTE]

QFGT. And the rare games are going to be the ones that nobody recognizes as rare yet - I think most Kemco games fall into that category because their distribution is so bad and their marketing is nonexistant. They sell an average of about 3,000 games a month total. The question is whether anyone is ever really going to want them - but if people decide they want a complete PS2 collection for some bizarre reason, they're going to have a very hard time finding Egg Mania in 10 years.

I have one of the rarest Sega CD games - Lords of Thunder. But it's not worth much, because nobody cares about it.

It was given another run back in September IIRC.

Oh, and those Kiosk Demo discs actually get to having value?

I thought Suikoden 1 and 2 were being ported to the PSP instead of being reprinted? I don't have a PSP but I would like to play the second one at least.

DDR Konamix for PS1 was reprinted in the spring. I was getting difficult to find (new copies were going for $40 - $50 when the MSRP was $29.99). They reprinted it as a Greatest Hits game.

I think Ecco the Dolphin PS2 just got reprinted. I was watching ebay auctions for a while and suddenly sealed copies of Ecco just popped.

[quote name='sonarrat']I have one of the rarest Sega CD games - Lords of Thunder. But it's not worth much, because nobody cares about it.[/QUOTE]

The sad thing is that I really care about it since it's an amazing shooter with excellent gameplay and a rocking soundtrack but I don't know its worth and, honestly, I probably wouldn't pay over $15 or $20 for it since I don't have a Sega CD to call my own.

Oh well, didn't stop me from getting Popful Mail. You could luck out with a shooter genre fan and all of that but, to be fair, I think a lot of them would be more interested in a lot of the recent Japanese releases that would never see the light of day over here and such.

[quote name='Amano']/b][/u]
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 3[/QUOTE]

Are the reprints going to be going for a reduced price, or are they still $40?

eBay prices dipped low back when they were first reprinted, I recall. Standard GameStop price seems to be $40 "Used", though.

[quote name='cletus']I thought Suikoden 1 and 2 were being ported to the PSP instead of being reprinted? I don't have a PSP but I would like to play the second one at least.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Radioactive_Man']VP is going to be ported to PSP

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6141048.html[/QUOTE]

Don't eBay your original copies yet kiddies... these two haven't been confirmed for the US. And VP isn't being ported, it's being remade for the PSP.

I'd feel like sh*t if I paid a ton of money for a rare game and then it was reprinted. Sure it gives others a chance to play it but I ended up paying tons more just to play it. I've been keeping a lot of PS1 games because I paid a lot for them ($60 for VP, $87 for Suikoden II) and want to play them then resell them. But if they keep reprinting them, I'll be screwed.

[quote name='Vinny']Don't eBay your original copies yet kiddies... these two haven't been confirmed for the US. And VP isn't being ported, it's being remade for the PSP.

I'd feel like sh*t if I paid a ton of money for a rare game and then it was reprinted. Sure it gives others a chance to play it but I ended up paying tons more just to play it. I've been keeping a lot of PS1 games because I paid a lot for them ($60 for VP, $87 for Suikoden II) and want to play them then resell them. But if they keep reprinting them, I'll be screwed.[/QUOTE]

It's a chance you take. I managed to find my copies of Rez and Gitaroo Man at a GS, so the reprints don't hurt me too much. But what about those poor people who paid the $80+? They probably would have wished they sold it.

So it's how much risk you're willing to take on an uncertain possibility of a reprint. Personally, I don't play a lot of my old PS1 rpgs and sold those I don't care to keep.

Besides, if I really want to get the game again I'll just track it down using GS's item locator and calling around. Sure, it takes more time and effort but it'll be cheaper than eBay.

I hope I speak for others when I say: bring it the fuck on. This will teach you hoarding twits to pick a good mutual fund instead of mediocre strat-rpgs.

In the meantime, the rest of us will have awesome games to play for a reasonable price.

[quote name='Ecofreak']It's a chance you take. I managed to find my copies of Rez and Gitaroo Man at a GS, so the reprints don't hurt me too much. But what about those poor people who paid the $80+? They probably would have wished they sold it.

So it's how much risk you're willing to take on an uncertain possibility of a reprint. Personally, I don't play a lot of my old PS1 rpgs and sold those I don't care to keep.

Besides, if I really want to get the game again I'll just track it down using GS's item locator and calling around. Sure, it takes more time and effort but it'll be cheaper than eBay.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I probably should've waited until I was ready to play the games before buying them. But I have a bad habit of keeping RPGs even if they're not great... there's something about every RPG that I liked (except for a few games) so I end up keeping them.

[quote name='Survivor Charlie']Video games don't make good investments. Do not buy to collect games from the current generation as investments in rarity. You're a fool to do it. Anyone who bought Puzzle Fighter or Rhapsody as an investment has egg on their faces.

It never works, people. You have to wait YEARS for the dust to settle to figure out what's hard to find. Hell... people thought (and still think) that NCAA Basketball for the Gamecube is a rarity. I'm sorry, it isn't. And anyone who paid $100+ for a copy on ebay has buyer's regret.[/QUOTE]

Games are a bad LONG term investment, but they can be a pretty damn good short term one.

Example: One day I hear that DDR Mario Mix is in short supply(for whatever reason), I buy 2, one for myself, and one to sell for a jesus-load. If anything is rare, and you happen to find it, you ditch it before it has a chance to get devalued by a reprint. short term investment

Yeah DDR Mario is a awesome short term investment, I regret not picking up the copy at work considering I could have walked off with a good $50+ profit with ease.

Alot of games are good short term investments, and remember you always have that receipt to return the game if things dont work out. If you wait too long you have to eat the money you spent or pray the value stays high.

[quote name='Amano']eBay prices dipped low back when they were first reprinted, I recall. Standard GameStop price seems to be $40 "Used", though.[/QUOTE]

OMFGawd QFT.

My gamestop sells almost everything "new" for $40. It it isn't new, then its a couple dollars less than the game costs new. I'm cheap, but dammit, I don't like getting used games (often dirty, missing manuals, boxes, etc.) for only a few dollars difference.

Shin Megami Tensei Digital Devil Saga 1 either got a reprint, or a new release. I saw new sealed boxes of the game just arriving at my local TRU. This is the game only, not the delux set. (Oh yeah, this game is $49.99 used at my local gamestop, disc only, no special edition goodies included. About $50 new for the same thing at my local TRU).

The cheapest in B&M I've seen for DDSv1 is $44.99 @ GC. And as far as a reprint, I know we received a memo at work about DDSv1 being either reprinted/re-released due to high demand. Haven't seen any new, stand-alone game copies, though.

[quote name='Nirvanaguy777']Rez didnt get a reprint, it was just a rumor as far as I know.[/QUOTE]
it did

bread's done
Back