Rechargeable Battery Issues

1NintendoFan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I had the Nyko charge kit for my 360, but after all the negative reviews/comments I was reading, I decided it wasn't worth it and returned it. I took the advice of others and decided to pick up an actual Microsoft Rechargeable Battery and then I got the Energizer charging station to charge it, I have an Energizer for my PS3 and I really like it, so that is what I decided on.

I opened both of them up the other day because I wanted to make sure they worked. I have had my 360 for over a month and the original batteries that came with the system still show full power. The rechargeable battery says up to 25 hours of play, I wasn't expecting that much time out of it, but was expecting a decent amount since I've gone so long on the non-rechargeable ones.

So, I opened them up and put it on the charger right away since it said to charge before first use. I was expecting it to take a few hours, but when I came back less than an hour later it was already fully charged. I didn't think much of it, I just assumed it had some charge already. I put it in the controller and it also showed a full charge, so I assumed it was fine. I played for a little bit and in under an hour the battery is completely dead.

I'm still not thinking much of it, this time assuming that it has something to do with how fast it charged the first time and put it back on the charger. This time it took a few hours, but still not the amount of time it says it should. I put it back in the controller and start playing. Pretty quick after it loses one bar of power but then it seemed to hold there for a little while. So when I go to play the next time I notice that the lights around the Xbox button on the controller are spinning as if it was trying to connect, then they would go solid, spin, etc. a few times it disconnected and after about an hour of play time the battery was dead and gave no warning.

So, I'm assuming I have an issue with one of the products, but don't know for sure which I should try returning first. I'm thinking that it is the battery that the issue based on the way things have been happening, but was just wanting a second opinion before I return it.

Is this a common problem with the rechargeable batteries from Microsoft? If so, I'm not sure sure I think I may go with regular rechargeable batteries so I have spares and ones that work a little better. I've never heard anything like this, but wanted to check.

Thanks

[quote name='1NintendoFan']
Is this a common problem with the rechargeable batteries from Microsoft? If so, I'm not sure sure I think I may go with regular rechargeable batteries so I have spares and ones that work a little better. I've never heard anything like this, but wanted to check.[/QUOTE]
I can't speak to your specific problem (sounds like a defect), but I do recommend buying standard rechargables. I had an MS pack that, while not as bad as your situation, would drain out rather quickly, even when I wasn't using it. The Duracells I have now are cheaper and last longer.

I do not like Rechargeables, because they operate at 1.2V, and really do not give you good rumble feedback.

I like Energizer Lithiums AA they are rated 1.5V are are half the weight or 2 other Alkaline or NiMh batteries.

Thanks for the replies guys. Kind of wish I would have researched this a little more now. My Target store doesn't have anymore of the battery only packages, so I shouldn't have a problem getting my money back on that, but it looks like I'm stuck with the charger. I read bad reviews on the Nyko, but pretty good reviews on Microsoft, I always get rechargeable batteries, so that is what I decided to do with the 360.

Master Ninja, I didn't realize it until you said it, but the rumble does seem like it improves a lot when I went back to the Duracells that came with the 360.

Since I have the charger, I will probably try to get another battery pack and just use it as a spare or something.

Thanks for your replies!

I have had the official play and charge packs and quick charge kit. Worked very well for about 2-3 years. The packs are just now dying, and I'll probably replace with eneloop batteries that I also use for my wii-motes:
http://www.amazon.com/SANYO-eneloop...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1252473964&sr=8-1

And i've got a lacrosse charger (recommended on another forum post here). Not this exact one, but I think an older (blue) model:
http://www.amazon.com/Crosse-Technology-BC-9009-AlphaPower-Battery/dp/B00077AA5Q/ref=pd_sbs_e_1

Or the "gimped" version for $10 less: ;)
http://www.amazon.com/Crosse-Techno...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1252474010&sr=1-2

Haven't used it much for my xbox yet, but for the wiimotes, it's great. They don't die over time, so now when I go to use my Wii, I don't need to pop in fresh batteries each time.

[quote name='Malik112099']I've had the Nyko recharge kit for over a year and it works great[/QUOTE]

^^ This

My Nyko kit has been going since Dec. 07' On average 30+ hours a week.

The Play n Charge ones seem to work well as well, but I like wireless controllers for a reason :whistle2:#

The rechargeable battery packs aren't worth it. Over a couple of years, I've had two packs hold a "normal" charge, two that have a "half" charge and one that was pretty much useless. I used a Quick Charge kit and a Play and Charge and it didn't make a difference with either one. I finally had my fill and decided to switch to rechargeable AA's.

Kick them to the curb and replace them with some Enerloops AA's. I did this multiple months ago and don't regret it at all. A good starter pack with 8 AA's, 2 AAA's and a charger is $29 at Costco (if you have one handy) or $39 at Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Sanyo-Eneloop-Battery-Charger-Batteries/dp/B00198BF9W/

There's a few other vendors with the batteries, chargers and kits out there as well as Amazon.

Thanks again for all the replies. I will probably try and get another battery pack from Microsoft since I already have the charger from energizer, hate to just throw it away since I would have no use for it.

I don't really want the play 'n charge because I don't like using my system to charge controllers, that's why one of my first purchases for my PS3 was a dock and then I got one for my 360. With the 360, it especially makes me nervous since it gets so hot anyway.

I'm going to pick up some regular rechargeable batteries as well. I had a whole bag of batteries that I've been using, but they don't hold a charge at all anymore, not too sure what happened to them (not sure if being in the moving truck ruined them or what, but after I moved is when I started noticing the issues) I figure this way I have the best of both worlds.

Thanks again for all the help!

I've had the quick charge kit and 2 batteries since launch with no problems. I think one of them has a *slight* bit longer charge, but overall it's no where near what you described. I can't say it's too surprising however to see people having various performance issues, given Microsoft's hardware track record with the 360.

I bought some of the Duracell's (the ones with the Greentop that say they are already charged and last longer) tonight at Target that they had on sale. I planned to replace the battery pack as well, since I have the charger, but they don't have any with just the battery. I checked Wal-Mart, Gamestop, Toy's R Us, etc. since I've had the issue and none of them just have the battery pack.

I may just take the charger to Gamestop and see what they would give if I trade it in, probably two bucks or something, but I guess it is better than it just sitting around.

bread's done
Back