Recommend a retail job!!

l_unico

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Basically I'm not digging my current job and I always wanted to work in some store like BB, CC, Target, etc., etc. So, the question is has anyone here ever worked for any of these stores and if so how'd you like them? Do you currently work at one of these stores? Do you like it? Pros/Cons? I really want a job at Target for some unknown reason but anywhere else is fine. EXCEPT Wal-mart.

Also, who has the best pay? What's the average pay for these jobs? Do they pay extra for bilinguals? (spanish). I was also thinking of working for GameCrazy/GameStop but I've heard they pressure you a lot to sell pre-orders and BS like that.

Any and all advice is welcome.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Wait wait wait. You WANT to get a retail job? Are you a masochist?[/quote]

They can't be that bad can they? Where do you work?

[quote name='l_unico']They can't be that bad can they? Where do you work?[/quote]I work at a radio station where I get paid to watch football games. But I've worked at a gas station/convienience store, took me all of 8 hours to know it wasn't for me. There were more mosquitos in the store than outside, and I had to make crappy gas station pizzas, and never once did the chick who trained me in wash HER hands while making them, or tell me to wash mine. Perhaps a clothing store or something of that nature wouldn't be as bad.

[quote name='getmeoutofjoliet']Where do you work now?[/quote]

In an office, selling electricity over the phone. 40 hrs a week, Tues-Sath, 11-8, $13/hr(bilingual). But I just hate the job, the environment, the people I work with (most of them) and also cause we have high rates and they still want us to maintain an unreachable quota. And they encourage us to "sucker" old people into 3 year contracts knowing that it's going to save them little to no money but old people like hearing the words "fixed rate, peace of mind, price protection" and it works sometimes but I always feel bad "suckering" these poor old people on fixed incomes (Social Secuirty income). I almost want to tell them that another provider has lower rates but I would get fired.

Good luck making $13 an hour in an entry-level retail position. Can't you get a factory job somewhere, or go back to school (assuming you're not in school now)? I don't think there's anything in the world that could make me work in any type of store ever again.

[quote name='defiance_17']Good luck making $13 an hour in an entry-level retail position. Can't you get a factory job somewhere, or go back to school (assuming you're not in school now)? I don't think there's anything in the world that could make me work in any type of store ever again.[/quote]

I'm not expecting $13, hopefully $9? Not in school but I'm not the school type, not yet I guess. Warehouse is always an option but I've done that before and I want to try something new. So you've worked at a store before? Wich one and what was so bad about it?

High paying job and retail don't mix. I would be a waiter if you want to make some decent cheddar and still have a decent time meeting people IMO. A buddy of mine waited at Red Lobster and made a killing every weekend.

If your bilingual and have sales experience, and I would consider selling stuff over the phone were you have quotas is legitimate sales experience but some might not. I would try a cell phone store AT&T, T-mobile, Verizon. Its retail and it can pay decent money. I know every time I am in a cell store theres always someone that can only speak Spanish there.

You can always work at wal mart as well, I worked there and it really was not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. I think they still start at around 8 bucks.

[quote name='Temporaryscars']Sears if you like to not work. But YMMV. When I worked there way back when, I had fun co-workers. You might get lame people.[/QUOTE]

I worked at Sears too, and I can say it was the best job I ever had, because we did so little.

I noticed you are in Dallas too, so I have a pretty good idea as to what kind of wages you'll be expecting. I think most, around here, will pay around $6-$8. Guess it depends on what part of Dallas. I'm in the Plano/Frisco area and they seem to pay a bit more here.

Anyway, I really wouldn't recommend retail to anyone. It's okay for people who are looking for a first job, as they need to start somewhere. One good thing about retail is the benefits you get. As a gamer, you might get some good use out of a Best Buy discount, or the 5 free rentals you get from working at Blockbuster.

If you have an IKEA around you, apply. I'm on the opening team for IKEA Orlando, and so far it's by far the best company I've worked for. Miles ahead of Disney. Starting pay for my position(I'm a student so no degree yet) is $11/h. Decent enough for retail, plus they have a great benefits package.

[quote name='rcannon']I worked at Sears too, and I can say it was the best job I ever had, because we did so little.[/QUOTE]

Ditto. I played soccer with jewelry boxes. In a whole 8 hour shift, there would probably only be 3-4 customers.

ill 2nd the cell phone store, you can make bucko bucks if youre a good salesman, they generally pay higher than other retail spots and being bilingual should help with sales in your area.

Get a job at a video store. It's great, you just watch R rated movies on slow nights and pause it when kids or suspicious soccer moms come in. Work at a smaller chain, then you'll have a lot of slow nights because customers go to the bigger chains.

[quote name='Surferflames']If you have an IKEA around you, apply. I'm on the opening team for IKEA Orlando, and so far it's by far the best company I've worked for. Miles ahead of Disney. Starting pay for my position(I'm a student so no degree yet) is $11/h. Decent enough for retail, plus they have a great benefits package.[/QUOTE]

There is one in Frisco, OP.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']ill 2nd the cell phone store, you can make bucko bucks if youre a good salesman, they generally pay higher than other retail spots and being bilingual should help with sales in your area.[/quote]
This actually sounds like a sweet idea. T-Mobile it is!!

Why not Walmart? I'm sure it's not any worse than any other retail job, and I'm pretty sure they pay the most.

How do you feel about manual labor? You could always do overnight stocking for one of these places. It tends to pay more, and you don't have to deal with shitty customers.

I think best buy pays $8 starting in CA, which was a few years ago before .75 cent minimum wage increase. It might be a little higher now. I work in an office making $11/hr.

I work at Blockbuster and do not recommend it; I was a Shift Lead at GS and actually do recommend that (it seemed much more relaxed and cool, and, well, video games), although as a reg employee (game adviser), I say no. That job looked like it sucked and I didn't see why anyone wanted it (low pay+no hours+grunt work... like most entry retail I guess).

I would say if you're going retail try to find something more independent, as the poster above said about video stores. A job in a video store would be badass if I didn't feel like a corporate tool all day...

Tomorrow. Tomorrow is update resume day.

[quote name='yukine']Why not Walmart? I'm sure it's not any worse than any other retail job, and I'm pretty sure they pay the most.

How do you feel about manual labor? You could always do overnight stocking for one of these places. It tends to pay more, and you don't have to deal with shitty customers.[/quote]

I work at walmart, I do unloading and stocking from 4pm - 1am. Only $7.20 an hour. But I'm part time and still in school

I would defenatly recommend trying to get on with AT&T. Ive been with them for a year and have loved it. The pay is good, I'm making 52,000 a year and have bought my first house(I just turned 23). Insurance for my wife my son and myself is $50 a month for medical dental and vision. the insurance is no slouch eaither its through United Health and is the cheapest Ive ever had with them. You get three cell phone lines and one actual cell phone free. All uniforms are paid for and infact they provide between $90-$175 a quarter for uniforms. You recieve a discount on all home products and on other products like flowers, pc, mac, cars, camera, food, etc. All expenses are paid back with in 24 hrs of claim.

The cons are that it takes aprox 30 days to get hired and in training (which is paid for btw). You will still deal with bad customers and your working retail hours. The only real thing i can say is that its retail.

Its defenatly worth getting into. Please note all ive posted is about the wireless side of the company. I would encourage you to get on with the compnay in any manner cause bussiness is good

[quote name='Temporaryscars']Sears if you like to not work. [/quote]

I was just at a Sears and there were four-five groups of four or five people and they were all just standing around talking to each other. :)

But to be fair the store looked great, The video game section was amazing. The clearence section was nice and neat and by console AND mostly in ABC order!

It's just a shity mall that no one goes to, which is why I do. :)

[quote name='bigdaddy']I was just at a Sears and there were four-five groups of four or five people and they were all just standing around talking to each other. :)

But to be fair the store looked great, The video game section was amazing. The clearence section was nice and neat and by console AND mostly in ABC order!

It's just a shity mall that no one goes to, which is why I do. :)[/quote]

Exactly. That's what we did. I worked in electronics and we pretty much just stood around, goofed off, watched movies, played video games, and when a customer happened to find their way to our section, we'd tell them to go to Best Buy.

If you do go with Sears, stay on training pay. You get commission after you do your training, but nobody buys TVs at Sears, so it's not worth it. Just don't do your training. They really don't keep track of it, so you'll stay on $8 per hour. you usually get 30+ hours per week, so in the end, it's not so bad.

I'm interviewing at Sears tomorrow for a second job. I took the advice of others on here that it is an easy job.

Target sucks, don't work there. I'm about to quit and go to Gamestop. I'll let you know how Gamestop is in a couple of weeks :)

[quote name='aacx97']I work at walmart, I do unloading and stocking from 4pm - 1am. Only $7.20 an hour. But I'm part time and still in school[/quote]

Where do you live? It's close to $10.00 an hour here.

bread's done
Back