Recommend a wireless router

dragonsho

CAGiversary!
Feedback
35 (100%)
I'm looking for a new router because my current one (linksys wrk54g) drops signals all the time, even on wired. So I'm looking for the following

1. MUST be very reliable and not drop connection several times a day
2. MUST have wireless G
3. MUST be able to handle online gaming well
4. Looking to spend at max $70

Any suggestions?

What version of the 54G do you have?

If you are running the default Linksys firmware, and if you have version 5 or earlier, you could try flashing a different firmware and play around with the settings to see if you get less dropped connections.

See:

My experience with the default Linksys firmware has been pretty shady and have found that performance has increased greatly with just the initial flash of custom firmware. I would suggest trying some of these first if you haven't already to see if they help.

I'm so sick of my WRT54G at this point. None of the firmware's ever seemed to make a difference and only put up with this thing as long as I have because I hate buying things like routers.

Thinking I'm going to go with D-Link this time round since I'm not all that impressed with what Netgear and Linksys have out for the price. Probably leaning towards the DIR-615 or the DIR-655 depending on what I'm willing to spend. It's just so hard to tell how much a difference features like the QoS on some of them make a difference when it varies from connection to connection as well.

[quote name='amusedtoe']I'm so sick of my WRT54G at this point. None of the firmware's ever seemed to make a difference and only put up with this thing as long as I have because I hate buying things like routers.

Thinking I'm going to go with D-Link this time round since I'm not all that impressed with what Netgear and Linksys have out for the price. Probably leaning towards the DIR-615 or the DIR-655 depending on what I'm willing to spend. It's just so hard to tell how much a difference features like the QoS on some of them make a difference when it varies from connection to connection as well.[/quote]

I second your desision on D-Link. Have used them for about 5 years, that's underestimating too, and the only problem I've had with them is that after 5 years the router finally died. So 2 D-Link routers in 5 years and they work flawlessly is pretty damn good I think. Especially because before I had a D-Link I went through 3 Linksys routers in a few months.

I bought the DIR-655 at Costco about 6 months ago for $120, and it works fine. The purchase certainly doesn't qualify as "cheap ass," but I figure it's worth Costco's unlimited return policy since routers die all the time. I got tired of buying cheap Netgears, Belkins (although that still works).

[quote name='BlueLobstah']What version of the 54G do you have?

If you are running the default Linksys firmware, and if you have version 5 or earlier, you could try flashing a different firmware and play around with the settings to see if you get less dropped connections. [/quote]
How would I go about finding which version I have? I know how to check the firmware version, but not how to check what router version.

[quote name='dragonsho']How would I go about finding which version I have? I know how to check the firmware version, but not how to check what router version.[/QUOTE]

If you look on the bottom of your router, there should be a sticker with "model number" with your version number on it. And I actually told you wrong with the versions, it's version 4 or earlier.

If you have version 5 or up, I wouldn't even really be concerned with it and end up getting another router. I'm not sure what else is good, as I've been using my 54G for years without any major issues. D-Link seems to be the typical recommendation in addition to the 54G, although I've heard some good things about Buffalo as well.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']What version of the 54G do you have?

If you are running the default Linksys firmware, and if you have version 5 or earlier, you could try flashing a different firmware and play around with the settings to see if you get less dropped connections.

See:My experience with the default Linksys firmware has been pretty shady and have found that performance has increased greatly with just the initial flash of custom firmware. I would suggest trying some of these first if you haven't already to see if they help.[/quote]
Only thing about those sites is that they're all WRT. I have WRK. I checked linksys' site and I seem to have the most up to date firmware (updated in 2003 :cry:). I think the router is just a big pos.

[quote name='dragonsho']Only thing about those sites is that they're all WRT. I have WRK. I checked linksys' site and I seem to have the most up to date firmware (updated in 2003 :cry:). I think the router is just a big pos.[/QUOTE]

Oops. My bad, I read it as WRT. I'd say go for another router in that case.

I have a $90 Linksys WRT150N router, and it also randomly restarts every now and then. Sometimes it can go 3 weeks without problem, sometimes it restarts 3 times a day. Thanks for the links BlueLobstah, I may give the Sveasoft firmware a try.

Ended up getting the Netgear DIR-625 for just a bit more then the 615 since it game me a few more features that could make a difference, like the QoS, that I figured it'd be worth it if it worked out. So far so good.

I use a Belkin router which I got for about $30 at circuit city. It's extremely reliable and the firmware that came with it is dependable as well. I would suggest Belkin if you dont want to spend much and require a reliable one at that. But linksys is also dependable as well, bit pricier. Look around for rebates and you'll definitely get a good deal.

bread's done
Back