Recommend any boxed sets with commentary?

Leggo

CAGiversary!
I'm addicted to commentary tracks, and unfortunately most series just dont have them.

The rare and incredible cheap series that got me started on this kick is Stargate SG-1.

every season, 4th onward, has a commentary track for every single episode, and they're awesome. Peter DeLuise (director) is hilarious, it makes listening to the commentary at times more entertaining than the show itself. It's like Stargate: MST3k. (I really hope they re-release the first 3 seasons with commentary, because those shows desperately need them. I'd buy them again if they did that.)

I also know the rereleases of Sorcerer Hunters have commentary tracks as well.

Can anyone recommend any commentaried series? More importantly, entertainingly commentaried series?

I prefer Sci-fi and anime, although I'm open to any recommendations.

Thanks in advance!

The Simpsons and Futurama have commentary tracks for every single episode.

Not scifi or anime, but great stuff, IMO. (I guess Futurama could kind of be called scifi, but it's more like a standard animated sitcom set in the future.)

I really enjoy the commentaries for those two series, but I'm a big fan of both shows. A lot of what I like about the tracks are the insights they give into the series/characters.

Sledge Hammer's commentary was very highly regarded - in the 2nd season (which I'm now watching) 4 episodes / 19 have commentaries, but they're really insightful. Plus the show's worth watching anyways.

Supposeldy the Boogie Nights Commentary is great.

They also say the commentary that Arnold Schwarzenegger does for his movies is killer. Like, when the tri star horse breaks through the screen he goes, "Hi, I'm Arnold Schwarzenegger, and I'm coming right towards you right now." Also, Don and Mike often play clips from his Terminator 3 commentary. "They really did a great job in this part by the way the camera accentuates the breasts." (While discussing the female terminator.)

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar']Supposeldy the Boogie Nights Commentary is great.

They also say the commentary that Arnold Schwarzenegger does for his movies is killer. Like, when the tri star horse breaks through the screen he goes, "Hi, I'm Arnold Schwarzenegger, and I'm coming right towards you right now." Also, Don and Mike often play clips from his Terminator 3 commentary. "They really did a great job in this part by the way the camera accentuates the breasts." (While discussing the female terminator.)[/QUOTE]

oh hell yeah. I nearly fell out of my chair watching the Total Recall commentary

Onscreen: Sharon Stone kicks Arnold in the balls
Commentating Arnold: "Ow. Dat hurht."

The commentary from Anchorman (Unrated) was hilarious!
Within the first five minutes, Will Ferrell and Adam McKay are testing the system.
They play a game with themselves to come up with and say the worst swear words.
I encourage you to take a listen!

[quote name='thehuskerfan']The commentary from Anchorman (Unrated) was hilarious!
Within the first five minutes, Will Ferrell and Adam McKay are testing the system.
They play a game with themselves to come up with and say the worst swear words.
I encourage you to take a listen![/QUOTE]

I thought it was pretty stupid frankly. It wasn't testing the system; they already knew good and well what they could and couldn't say, so it becomes "How many consecutive bleeps can I string together?"

The Clerks: Animated Series commentaries are pretty cool.

how about volume over quality?

I like to feel I'm getting some serious value with my DVD box set purchases, so even if the commentaries arent laugh-out-loud funny, even if they're just discussing cinematography, thats cool too, as long as there are lots of them. featurettes are great too, I just love the behind the scenes stuff.

Specifically, I'm looking for boxed sets of TV shows, not individual movies, although thanks for the suggestions.

Does anyone know whats up with the Andromeda or Star Trek DVDs?

Although there isn't an abundance of actual commentary, the Seinfeld discs have enough extras to last you a month. I absolutely love the "Notes About Nothing"--they remind me of Pop-up Video. Throughout the episodes, there are subtitle-esque pieces of information running almost continuously.
Also, the commentary on Sideways was extremely entertaining.
Sorry for the non-sci-fi and non-TV suggestions, but everyone should check them out.

oh, non-scifi is totally fine, I was just giving suggestions.

Seinfeld is awesome, thanks for the heads up :)

If you like value in terms of commentary, check out The Dead Zone.
Season One has 13 episodes, all with commentary for less than $19.
Season Two 19 episodes, all with commentary again. Season Three is out in June, 13 episodes, all with commentary. And, if you wait another couple months, you can get 20% off of these when the DDD sale hits. I've got the first two sets, and the show is surprisingly good. I thought it'd get gimmicky fast, but every episode brings something new to the table and keeps you interested. In addition to the commentaries, there's also plenty of behind the scenes stuff as well. Definitely one of the better bargains in terms of TV on DVD.

Also, I'm sure you probably already have them, but the LotR Extended sets all have 4 commentaries per film, and are all utterly engaging. Some of the best tracks I've heard. Not to mention, the documentaries are awesome. And the movies are pretty good as well. :lol:

Let me see if I can think up some more great ones.

[quote name='modium']If you like value in terms of commentary, check out The Dead Zone.
Season One has 13 episodes, all with commentary for less than $19.
Season Two 19 episodes, all with commentary again. Season Three is out in June, 13 episodes, all with commentary. And, if you wait another couple months, you can get 20% off of these when the DDD sale hits. I've got the first two sets, and the show is surprisingly good. I thought it'd get gimmicky fast, but every episode brings something new to the table and keeps you interested. In addition to the commentaries, there's also plenty of behind the scenes stuff as well. Definitely one of the better bargains in terms of TV on DVD.[/QUOTE]

Thanks man, that's exactly what i was hoping for with this thread, a cool show i was completely unfamiliar with, is cheap, and has plenty of bang for your buck. I'll DEFINITELY pick that up next sale :D

and no, I dont have the LOTR sets, I'm not a big fan, to be honest. :)

Ah, glad I could help you out with The Dead Zone. It's a much better show than people give it credit for, I hope you enjoy it when you get it :)

Thinking about it, seems like you might also like the 3-disc Dune set. It was a mini-series based on Frank Herbert's classic sci-fi series of novels. It aired on Sci-Fi in 2000 I believe. It's 300 minutes long, in DC form, and it's got a full-length commentary. Not to mention, a bunch of featurettes and interviews and DTS audio :drool: Digital Bits review and DVDAnswers review if you're intrigued.

The kicker? How's $9.78 sound for all this? Plus, knock 20% off if you want to wait.

bread's done
Back