Recommend games for new-to-gaming girlfriend

El Toro Fuerte

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Hey everyone, I'm trying to get my girlfriend more interested in gaming and games in general and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions? She's got a 360 and already finished Fable 3 and is almost done with Fable 2 (she went backward for some reason).

I gave her my RDR to play after she's done with Fable and was thinking about re-buying Bioshock for her to play. These would be her first shooters so dunno how it will go over.

What else would you suggest for her to look into?

I'll give you the list that my girl plays, Fable is already off the table so try naughty bear, alice madness returns, alan wake, majin and the forsaken kingdom, blue dragon, Venetica, Lego anything, skylanders, la noire.

I loved Dragon Age. I also really enjoyed playing Resident Evil 5 with my husband. It was a great co-op game. You also can't go wrong with You Don't Know Jack. The dlc is on sale this week.

The Portal series. It will help her become acclimated to first-person maneuvering without worrying about shooting enemies and shit, if she needs it. Portal 2 requires less coordination than Portal 1.

It seems to me that for girls who had not historically played video games, they are most comfortable with sidescrollers, okay with third-person games and awful at first-person games to start. For example, my girlfriend finally got the hang of Portal 2, but will not play any first-person game that has enemies you have to shoot and dodge and things like that. She hates it and throws the controller down because she doesn't like the pressure. On the other hand, she can easily beat a Mario World or a Link to the Past.

Your mileage may vary!

Portal is a great one to get acclimated to controllers on.
Ilomilo is a great little colorful co-op puzzle game.
Mass Effect and Alan Wake are great for story although they are not co-op.
The Lego series is great! (Unless you are burnt out on them like me)

Perhaps even something like Peggle... My fiancé loves that game. But she also plays Fable, L4D like I mentioned, Rainbow Six Vegas. UNO.

She says shes starting RDR today since she already has it. I'll prob grab orange box from a friend so she can play Portal to get used to controlling two sticks. Then move onto Bioshock or Portal 2 from there.

Wonder how she would do with a game like Halo Wars.

seems like she is doing just fine with finding games she enjoys if she is playing games like the ones mentioned. I can barely get my wife to play Lego games with me, occasionally Burnout Revenge, but only one track because she somehow beats me most of the time.

Well, if she bought the console herself, I would assume she must have some idea how the controller works. Then again, I commented to my girlfriend that the 360 controller doesn't use motion like the Wii, and that shaking up and down doesn't do anything.

Of course, she knew this, and I'm just a jerk.

Uh... I dunno. What are her likes and dislikes? If you've played Braid, I think it would be fun to watch her and help her along if she needs help. The story itself delivers quite a payoff. Plants vs. Zombies seems like a good idea. Rayman Origins, Bastion, Trine 2, Brutal Legend, Castle Crashers.

Depends what she wants to get out of playing (e.g. mindless fun, good stories, etc.).

My wife is a big Fable fan and is now enjoying Reckoning, so you could try that one. I also know a lot of women who like Dragon Age Origins.

my wife loves gears of war (all three), assassins creed (all of them), mario party, zelda, fable(1 and 2 more than 3), mass effect, you dont know jack, singstar, lips (great for alone time together as long as you arent the shy type), to be honest there arent many games she wont try

Assume she has distinct likes and dislikes just like a normal person. I mean, she is, isn't she? Rather than try to second guess her, just let her browse your collection and see what catches her eye. She'll figure out what she likes soon enough.

If she does like Bioshock, Target is blowing out Bioshock 2 for $7.48. The one near me seems to have about a hundred copies just gathering dust on the clearance shelf.

I would think Bioshock or anything First person would be difficult for someone new to gaming. My wife hates first person games, because she can't aim for shit in them. She does love Skyrim however...

bread's done
Back