Recommend me a gaming mouse and graphics card.

randomevent

CAGiversary!
Feedback
68 (100%)
I've read the Build-A-PC thread, but I'm not too savvy with PC gaming, so I'm asking here for recommendations. I know that I just want a decent card (hopefully cheap) that will allow me to play newer games for a couple of years.

My PC is a Dell XPS 410 and is running on Vista, 2.4 dual core Pentium, 4 GB DDR2 ram, and I use a Samsung 19" monitor that is hooked up via DVI.

Like I said, I don't want something super great, but something decent would be ideal. Something that can handle newer games and a little bit more. I'm looking at about a $100 - $150 budget, and I have no idea if I can get something good for that amount of money.

Also, if someone can recommend a cheaper, but decent gaming mouse, I'd really appreciate that.

I don't know if I have to post more specs or things like that, but if I do, let me know. As I said, I'm not too familiar with PC gaming, and I'd like to give it a chance, but have no idea what I should buy,

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had an msi 4850 with 512mB for a year now and am happy with the performance on everything I've played (22" monitor).
The gaming mouse I use is a saitek gm3200

card: 4870 1gb
mouse: any fucking mouse that feels comfortable.

do you see yourself switching sensitivity in the middle of a game?
do you feel the need to adjust the weight of your mouse?
do you like extra buttons to assign macros to?
will you notice .001 seconds of lag?

if you can say no, just get a mouse that feels comfortable. i personally use a G7. Feels great, wireless, laser for playing on my desk that optical has a problem with, has 4 buttons, lets you switch between 3 sensitivities (which is actually helpful in some games, usually when you need to snipe something at a distance turning the sensitivity down is nice).

i could probably do without everything except laser, so finding a cheap laser mouse would be preferable.

Yeah get the 4870 1gb for a card. It's the best card you'll find for $150.

and any cheap laser mouse (wired) like crystalklear said.

card: 4870 1gb
mouse: I like my wired optical MX518, but this really comes down to personal preference (optical vs laser, number of buttons, weight, feel, etc)

The G5 gaming mouse ca be gotten for as low as $30-ish new on eBay or Amazon (from other sellers) and maybe other places too. Got mine from an eBay store and works and feels great.

I would highly recommend a Razer DeathAdder as it is the most comfortable mouse that I've ever owned. I previously had a G5 that cramped my hand a lot. I don't miss the lack of weight adjustment from the G5 at all either.

I got mine for $30 or so at a GoGamer sale early this year and I wouldn't hesitate to buy it even if it was $50. So far it has been a solid mouse for the 8 months that I've owned it for.

Another vote for the MX518 mouse. Love it and have never had problems.

As far as the GPU, I'd just pick a few that are in your specific price range that
has the best reviews. Then when you get a few you like, compare them on
tomshardware or anandtech.

I just found out that I need a new power supply for a new graphics card. Anyone wanna recommend one of those too?

Also, I wanted to ask if I really need that much power in my card? I have no idea about overclocking, and I don't want my PC to overheat and whatnot. It's all too confusing for me. I should also mention that I will in no shape or form add any extra fans or do any modifications that will give me better performance. I'm not a PC gamer in any shape or form, and I don't claim to be. I simply want to get a card that is good bang for the buck and can play most new games.

Can I get one of the cheaper cards with DDR2 ram and play games like COD MW2 and L4D2?

Thanks for all the replies so far. I've at least got some choices now.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='xcopy']I doubt your motherboard can run todays video cards at their full potential. Upgrade your motherboard.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure? Some friends I know are telling me it will work out fine. My XPS was bought in 2007, so it shouldn't be that old. Then again, I know next to nothing about this stuff.

[quote name='randomevent']Are you sure? Some friends I know are telling me it will work out fine. My XPS was bought in 2007, so it shouldn't be that old. Then again, I know next to nothing about this stuff.[/QUOTE]

Your motherboard is fine. I'm assuming you have a Pentium E5200, which is still a viable CPU for many games. But with your system being a Dell, and knowing that they used a cheaper power supply in your computer, I would recommend getting the ATI 4850 video card instead. It requires only one power adapter and your power supply should handle it without problem. ATI 4870 that others are recommending will definitely last you longer, but I'm afraid your Dell power supply could not handle it or it might not have enough power adapters to plug into the video card.

[quote name='SOSTrooper']Your motherboard is fine. I'm assuming you have a Pentium E5200, which is still a viable CPU for many games. But with your system being a Dell, and knowing that they used a cheaper power supply in your computer, I would recommend getting the ATI 4850 video card instead. It requires only one power adapter and your power supply should handle it without problem. ATI 4870 that others are recommending will definitely last you longer, but I'm afraid your Dell power supply could not handle it or it might not have enough power adapters to plug into the video card.[/QUOTE]

I believe I have an Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4 Ghz. Thanks for the recommendation on the ATI 4850. I'm actually debating getting a new power supply also. I've been told I should buy Antec in that regard.

[quote name='randomevent']I believe I have an Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4 Ghz. Thanks for the recommendation on the ATI 4850. I'm actually debating getting a new power supply also. I've been told I should buy Antec in that regard.[/QUOTE]

I did a bit of searching and it seems like your Dell XPS 410 does not use proprietary power supply, so that means you can freely replace your current one with any power supply out there. I recommend Antec BP550 Plus 550W for your purpose.

[quote name='SOSTrooper']I did a bit of searching and it seems like your Dell XPS 410 does not use proprietary power supply, so that means you can freely replace your current one with any power supply out there. I recommend Antec BP550 Plus 550W for your purpose.[/QUOTE]

Awesome! I'll order it later today.

bread's done
Back