Recommend ONE album you LOVE that not many know about

[quote name='Whambamm']I can't pass up a suggestion topic without mentioning the godly Jeff Buckley. Most people have heard of him, but surprisingly not his music. The man had a voice like no other I've ever heard. The only album he released while he was alive was "Grace", and it is the greatest album ever. If you want to listen to the entire album go here:

www.jeffbuckley.com/prt/prt.html

Here's the video to the title track:

Grace video on Youtube[/quote]

I think ol' Jeff is beyond the "Many may not know about" phase.... I know this girl who was dating him when he died.

[quote name='godhatesjustyou']Oh god yes!

I was gonna say the same exact thing, that album is just so great.

Hats off to you.[/QUOTE]
:lol: thanx

Kami Lyle - Blue Cinderella

I found this for $1 in a Wherehouse bargain bin and nearly turned it down, because I couldn't tell what kind of CD it would be just by looking. Very glad I gave it a chance.

She's mainly known for playing trumpet (and can be heard in the background on Patty Griffin's great cover of "Tomorrow Night") but on this CD she is the singer/songwriter, with some trumpet solos for good measure.

The music is a mixture of pop, jazz, and country, but not firmly in any one of those three camps. The songwriting is strong and varied, and the lyrics are clever. There are so many great tracks.

I listen to a XMU (only station on XM I listen to actually) and KEXP at work.

Some of my favorite bands that I have heard on those stations:

Cold War Kids
The Born Ruffians
The Decemberists
Z-Trip (fun, and um, interesting)
Tokyo Police Club
TV on the Radio
The Fratellis
Alexi Murdoch

I have more I have written down, but they are at work.

I can't recommend a specific album, but most are sold on Amazon and the user reviews are very insightful and helpful.

[quote name='st0neface']dead prez- let's get free[/quote]

A horribly racist album, but you cant deny the fact that it's good music
icon14.gif

I found the band At The Gates through Emusic some time back, and though I don't like satanic/anti-Christian lyrics, this band (and others after) got me back to my thrashing self again. Here's the first song (I think) off Slaughter of the Soul.

P.S. I always wish threads like this had a poll-like area at the top that listed all our picks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VS5c6H_x0rI

[quote name='Mookyjooky']I think ol' Jeff is beyond the "Many may not know about" phase.... I know this girl who was dating him when he died.[/QUOTE]

I know several people know of Jeff Buckley, what I'm saying is that a lot of people have heard of him but not actually listened to his music. That was the case with me up until a couple years ago. Regardless, I could be recommending a band everyone and their mother has heard of like the Beatles for all I care. I think every person should listen to Grace at least one time.

[quote name='wakeandbake']The Fall of Troy - Doppleganger

Best Guitar work ever.[/QUOTE]
just about to suggest the same album

since it's already taken, ill suggest The Coral - Invisible Invasion

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Streetlight Manifesto - Keasbey Nights or Everything Goes Numb[/quote]
:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

One of the few people I have heard besides my core group of friends who would even know let alone suggest Streetlight and ewn. If you want to hear Keasbey Nights, listen to the original Catch 22 version.

For my own album.... Lincoln by They Might Be Giants. Very diverse, great lyrics, good energy.

[quote name='mcgavin27']:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

One of the few people I have heard besides my core group of friends who would even know let alone suggest Streetlight and ewn. If you want to hear Keasbey Nights, listen to the original Catch 22 version.

For my own album.... Lincoln by They Might Be Giants. Very diverse, great lyrics, good energy.[/quote]

I agree about listening to the Catch 22 version over the Streetlight Manifesto. But, Everything Went Numb is the superior album of the two.

Dii-Jay Slimm Pickins: Wii Trollin'.

Kidding.

Autolux, Future Perfect. Totally ambushed by their greatness as an opening act for Nine Inch Nails a little over a year ago. Like Sonic Youth, but less dissonant. A lot less dissonant. Only 'playas' and Toby Keith fans need not apply.

[quote name='DJ K8E']Neverending White Lights - Act 1: Goodbye Friends of the Heavenly Bodies

Daniel Victor managed to create one of the finest albums I have ever heard in my entire life. I can't begin to go on about how excellent it is. It is absolutely the most perfect disc to play when it gets dark. It's haunting, and beautiful, simple, but complex, and never gets old or boring thanks to the revolving door of vocal talent such as Raine Maida of Our Lady Peace that each lend their amazing abilities to a new and different song.

You owe it to yourself to at least check it out, at night, with the lights off, letting it be the only thing you focus on. If you can't appreciate it, even after that, then frankly I don't want to know you.

His MySpace: http://myspace.com/neverendingwhitelights Do avoid the remix though, it effs with Daniels vision.
His Website: http://neverendingwhitelights.com/news.html[/quote]

You're listening to The Horrors! Woot! Anyways, I recommend

We Are the Fury- Venus I can't stop listening to this! fucking amazing.

And lastly, because I have to name it...

Abandoned Pools- Armed To the Teeth Incredible

[quote name='munch']I'm pretty sure this is an album everyone has heard of, or at least everyone in my group of friends, but nonetheless everybody should own it.

Refused - The Shape of Punk to Come

I can't tell you how amazing this whole CD is. It's a shame they didn't release more stuff. I wonder if they would have degenerated into the screamo bullshit that ripped them off. I don't know, but I don't judge this CD by the music put out by bands that were influenced by this.[/QUOTE]

agreed

this is an epic release that will be revered decades from now as a seminal moment in the evolution of early 21 century rock music.

and i'm not joking

carbon_echo_cover.jpg

Carbon Leaf - Echo Echo

[quote name='"Wikipedia"']Echo Echo was released in 2001 with "The Boxer" as the first track. "The Boxer" went on to bring Carbon Leaf local, regional, and even some national recognition. In January 2002 Carbon Leaf won the first-ever American Music Awards Presents the Coca-Cola New Music Award for "The Boxer." As part of winning they performed "The Boxer" live on the AMAs to 80 million television viewers worldwide.[/quote]

It's their fourth studio CD (their sixth just came out in September), so it's a bit different from their newer stuff, but it's my favorite overall.

You can hear their music on their website or their Myspace. VH1 has some of their music videos on its website, I believe. Also, they're really good live; you can hear some streaming live recordings on the Internet Archive.

Three - Wake Pig. Marc Rizzo - Colossal Myopia. Excellent instrumental album Ill Nino - The Under Cover Sessions. just for the song Zombie Eaters

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']I agree about listening to the Catch 22 version over the Streetlight Manifesto. But, Everything Went Numb is the superior album of the two.[/quote]
I don't know till this day, I still can't choose one over each other. Ewn is a great fantastic album that I have listened to 200 times in the past year, but Kn is a classic and just something about the energy and the mediocre recording just appeals to me. Doesn't matter which one is better, they are both great and deserved to be listened to.

This album was actually really popular back in the day, but Layla and Other Assorted Love Song by Derek and the Dominos is one of the best cds I've ever heard. I typically only listen to live concerts but I always come back to this cd everyone once in awhile. Their Live at the Fillmore release is also top notch for anyone looking for some great early '70's Clapton.

B00004NHDD.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Angie Aparo - The American

Here's a video from it, called "Spaceship"

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0B2G-1uJxQ[/MEDIA]

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']This is tough, to narrow it down to just one. I think I'd have to give it to Pink, by Boris. It's probably their most accessible album, and it's a masterpiece. There are so many others I want to say though.[/quote]

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXr1nTsWKYk[/MEDIA]

Here's a live show of thiers, featuring the songs
Akuma No Uta (Hard Rock)
Ibitsu (Hard Rock)
Furi (Hard Rock)
Death Valley (Hard Rock)
Feedbacker (Drone)

The first four are from the same album, Akuma No Uta, which isn't as good as Pink, but is still great.

Excellent sound quality too.

[quote name='mcgavin27']:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

For my own album.... Lincoln by They Might Be Giants. Very diverse, great lyrics, good energy.[/quote]

I can't believe that it took until post 67/68 until somebody mentioned my Streetlight Manifesto post.

Personally I was a bit turned off to the Streetlight version of Keasbey Nights, because I had been so used to the original Catch 22 version, but I must say that other than Riding the Fourth Wave where the flute in the beginning of the song is not as good as the original, the album is the superior version. On other messageboards I have heard of it being called the remastered version of the original album and that is why the first one is better that it has a rougher sound, and while this is true after listening to Streetlight's version for pretty much everyday since it came out, I happen to think of it as better. But of course there truly has never been anything wrong with the original version and I still listen to that one immensely.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']I agree about listening to the Catch 22 version over the Streetlight Manifesto. But, Everything Went Numb is the superior album of the two.[/quote]

I simply can't say which is better. They're both classics. Streetlight Manifesto - ergo Kalnoky/Catch 22 - are one of the few bands that I have listened to that they have mannaged to either keep their same ferocity and their greatness or go on to improve on their sound and become even better. I love both and have probably listened to both a bunch of time each month. Keasbey Nights has some of my absolute favorite and classic songs on it such as 9MM and a three piece suit, keasbey nights, riding the fourth wave, etc (actually the entire album), while EWN has some of the best lyrics and music I have heard such as "A Better place, A better time".

[quote name='mcgavin27']I don't know till this day, I still can't choose one over each other. Ewn is a great fantastic album that I have listened to 200 times in the past year, but Kn is a classic and just something about the energy and the mediocre recording just appeals to me. Doesn't matter which one is better, they are both great and deserved to be listened to. [/quote]

I totally agree. I love basically any band that Kalnoky has played in. If you want to listen to a super early version of Supernothing and some other songs that would go later onto be on Keasbey Nights/Catch 22, then hit up Kalnoky's early band Gimp. This is from an early tape recording and some of the songs sound almost demo like in quality, but it has some great songs on it like the Mrs. Butterworth song. BOTAR is great as well and I can't wait for the new Streetlight and BOTAR albums coming out sometime around spring next year.

[quote name='jughead']Hey, this is a very good cd. I own it. Perhaps you should check out the Shins if you like them.

As for my one cd, I would recommend "Perfect From Now On" by Built to Spill. Awesome Cd that is about 10 years old.[/quote]

I took a listen to Clap Your Hands Say Yaeh when they came out and absolutely dreaded it. Couldn't stand it one bit and this is after I was told every which way how great of an album it was. I simply couldn't get over that whiny screeching voice of the singer. aww..just the memories are enough. And I really really tried liking the damn thing too.

[quote name='ahmedmalik']Arcade Fire - Funeral[/quote]

Quite possibly the greatest indie band/album in the past 5 years. Actually sctratch that as The Decemberists have come out with three and ..And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead with two all tied and up there at the top.

[quote name='defiance_17']of Montreal - Satanic Panic in the Attic

In some respects I prefer their older, less...danceable albums, but this is the one I always find myself listening to. It's probably their most accessible, too.[/quote]

I like both SPitA and The Sundlandic Twins.

[quote name='senorwoohoo']We Are Scientists - With Love & Squalor

Just some good straightforward indie-style rock that I just enjoy immensely.[/quote]

Good album.

[quote name='LiquidNight']Ghostland Observatory - Paparazzi Lightning

fucking amazing local band from here in Austin (who I'm hopefully going to see live soon). If you like that album, then check out their other one, Delete.Delete.I.Eat.Meat.

Their myspace: http://myspace.com/ghostlandobservatory

Edit: Also, this is a great idea for a thread.[/quote]
I have heard so much about this band recently. All the blogs keep talking about them.

I already suggested one, but technically it was an EP, so instead, how about "Venus Hum - Big Beautiful Sky." I like practically every song on the album.

[quote name='Sporadic']It's a shame they broke up.

They were amazing live.[/QUOTE] I really wish I had made the trip to St. Louis last year to see them with QotSA and NIN. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Oh, I forgot to add the trilogy of NWL videos.

This one is called "The Grace" and features Dallas Green of Alexisonfire on vocals.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/v/dj5aQaQg4vg[/media]
"Angels & Saints" featuring Chris Gordon of Deckard.
[media]http://youtube.com/watch?v=u-zrn6aX4Iw[/media]
"Age of Consent" a New Order cover featuring Nick Hexum from 311.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgbGQjMQOBE[/media]

Can't recommend them strongly enough. :bouncy:

bread's done
Back