Recommendations for a PS3-friendly router?

mrlogical

CAGiversary!
I currently have a WRT54G wireless router. It's a total piece of crap. Among other things, turning my PS3 on or off causes my internet connection to reset, and I typically have to change around the settings on the router for games that want to download patches. It's a total mess (and yes, I've read various strategies on the internet about port forwarding and all that, and it hasn't helped). So tomorrow, after I beat this thing to death with a hammer, I'm going to get a new router. Does anyone have suggestions on what particular brands and/or models of routers that play nice with the PS3? Thanks

The wrt54g is pretty much the standard. If it isn't working for you, there's a good chance it has something to do with the setup somewhere in your network.

What version of the router do you have?

I'm running a WRT54GS v1.52.2, and it works fine.

The reseting of the internet connection might actually be due to the PS3. I'm not sure if Sony has fixed it in recent firmware upgrades, but when they first introduced the media server option, if I had it turned on, every time I turned on or off my PS3 everything hooked up to the network would get kicked off. Some of my friends had this problem as well, and it was fine after we turned off the media server option.

I'm running a Buffalo WHR-G54S with custom tomato firmware. Have had 0 problems since I got it (about a year now) and it's on sale frequently (I think) for like $20-25 after rebates.

Get a DD-WRT or similar firmware compatible router. Personally I have a WRT54GL, but there are cheaper alternatives out there. Totally rock solid, I haven't had to reboot since I set it up.

Routers vary in quality and break all the time. If you want a quality router that will last and function great, get the D-link gaming series routers. I have one and it's great.

[quote name='notorious_pip']The reseting of the internet connection might actually be due to the PS3. I'm not sure if Sony has fixed it in recent firmware upgrades, but when they first introduced the media server option, if I had it turned on, every time I turned on or off my PS3 everything hooked up to the network would get kicked off. Some of my friends had this problem as well, and it was fine after we turned off the media server option.[/quote]

I had that problem, it would kick people off my network. Also it than started just acting bonkers and I would have to reset it at least once a day.

Now I'm running a Belkin N1 and it works like charm. So far no problems, hopefully non develop down the line.

Actually, I highly advise against the Linksys WRT54G (or whatever it is, the one I have in my apartment), because some Linksys routers have issues working with the PS3. I'll tell you my exact number when I get back to my apartment (It drops my PS3 connection a lot and I'm wired).

Yeah, I used to have a WRT54G that worked okay (not with the PS3 because this was a few years ago) but that was a different version and I did use all the custom firmwares and stuff that were out there. But for whatever reason, because the one I have now is v8, the custom firmwares don't work on it. I'll check out the Buffalo, the D-Link or the Belkin. Thanks for the suggestions.

dlink di655 is my recommendation. It's advanced QOS works much better than dd-wrt on a linksys. Rock solid router for the money (more so if you download a lot :p )

on the cheap, I have th Dlink 615. It is fine. The d655 adds iQoS, which would help if you have a lot of network traffic (i.e., torrents, or many downloads) while you are trying to play online games at same time. If you can avoid that situation, save $100 and get the 615. There is a model in between, ... the 625? It has QoS, but it is a fair share QoS, not intelligent QoS, I wouldn't bother.

I do second the motion for DD-WRT. That was my first choice, but the thing is, most companies have stripped the memory on their routers to the point that you really have to run a bare bones DD-WRT. Buffalo is the only one that hasn't, and because of a lawsuit, they are not currently selling routers, which has inflated their ebay price.

So I ended up trying two other, and just getting the 615 because my local store had it. I will say, that of the 10 or so routers (linksys, dlinks, belkins, smcs, trendmicros, microsofts, etc) I have tried in the last 5 years, it is hands down the best. Very fast web interface, flexible options. The ps3 likes it, shows up as NAT2, and UPnP works. I paid $65, to get it locally, but I am sure I have seen it for $49.

~S

I have a Linksys WRT54GS and it does take me a while to sign in and when i quit a game and go on the XMB it automatically signs me off all the time..it sucks..

I've got the WRT54G v.8. Wired works perfectly. Wireless, however, resets the router every 60 seconds unless I turn off media center. With that off, I have no problems.

I have a Dlink D-524 and it works great. Doesn't drop the signal and it is stable. Had it for many years and had it hooked up to the PS3 since October. Great router.

[quote name='imascrub']I'm running a Buffalo WHR-G54S with custom tomato firmware. Have had 0 problems since I got it (about a year now) and it's on sale frequently (I think) for like $20-25 after rebates.[/QUOTE]

I also have a buffalo router which uses AOSS it's a one button setup that automatically sets up a secure connection between the router and the ps3,wii and ds systems.

I should try that custom tomato firmware, but, I figured it works good why bother.

I have a wrt54gl with dd-wrt firmware flashed on it and it's been amazing so far. Just installed yesterday but so far it's been great. Had ps3 downloading the 5 Heavenly Sword videos, 360 playing army of two online, and 2 comps generally browsing the internet and it was fine. My PS3 d/l seemed to be faster than before (which may just be the router).

I'm running a cheapass linskys wireless g router. It does the job fine, I would reccomend it because it only costed me 50 bucks and i have had no problems so far.

i have no issues with my wrt54g i usually have atleast 2 computers and a ps3, wii, and 360 running at the same time, only time i have issues is trying to download on the pcs while downloading on the game systems

I'm using a D-Link DI-634M. Works great on the Xbox 360, PS3, and the Wii with no problems. Great range throughout the house.

Should be able to find it for less than $35 on e-bay if you don't mind buying used.

I have the Linksys WRT54GS wifi router, and I used to have the same problem with the ps3 kicking my router offline for a brief moment. I learned that you have to disable the uPnP feature in the router. The problem never happened again. =)

I have an airlink101, really cheap. I got mine at fry's on sale for 9.99 and it has worked perfectly, it actually can go from my computer down to the opposite end of my home and downstairs to my ps3 with no problem at all and very little signal loss.

I'm running into the same problems with my belkin router, and the problems are not only with my ps3 (even after port forwarding) but on my laptop as well.. I constantly get booted from AIM.

It could just be that something in your router got shorted out at some point. If you're planning on buying a new router anyway, I'd advise first trying to use a third party firmware (if you have the correct version) Look on the internet for DD-WRT or my new favorite, Tomato.

If neither of those works, then go ahead and get a router. I personally have a bunch of routers--Linksys, Buffalo, Belkin, and Trendnet. For my gaming needs, I'd say Buffalo and Linksys are equal, Trendnet would be third (not good quality but it's an inexpensive router that works), and Belkin fourth, due to its horrible firmware.

bread's done
Back