Wii Play
Madden NFL 07
Carnival Games
Rayman Raving Rabbids
Mario Kart Wii
Super Mario Galaxy
The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
Wii Sports
Order Up (looking to trade it for a shooter)

I like playing all of them but now I'm in the neighborhood to get a shooter. Any recommendations for some fun ones where I can use the gun? Not looking for anything like Resident Evil 4 or anything too scary or bloody because the kids (my little sister and her friends) are always around and they get freaked out. Something along the lines of an arcade style shooter is where I'm steering more towards.

Amy

Last edited by a moderator:
There's Godfather: Blackhand, although that might be a bit too mature for the kids (it's basically a GTA clone; but it's not hyperviolent like RE4. Hard to know without a scale to go by though), and the controls aren't that great (they're not BAD per se, things like switching from lock-on mode to free-aim mode are just a little rough around the edges. The motion controls are actually pretty good)

By "use the gun" I assume you mean pointer, correct? And that you're looking for an FPS. Blast Works is a great shmup, and very kid-friendly, but it's probably not what you're looking for. Still, I highly recommend looking into it and giving it more than a bit of consideration.

A more arcade shooter like Ghost Squad or Link's Crossbow Training might be good, but they are very short, and the only replay value you'll get is trying for a higher score (and really, you already have Wii Play if you want to do that)

By your last sentence I'm assuming you're specifically not wanting Metroid Prime, but it might be worth looking at some reviews on it. I haven't played it myself, but I've heard that it's closer to being like Halo-- linear, more combat and storyline driven, puzzles not nearly as much of a focus.

That Stinky bastard is onto something.
Metroid Prime 3 is a GREAT game.

If you are looking for shooter as in = Wii Zapper games, well:
Ghost Squad is awesome. MSRP of $30, but easily can be found for $20 or below
House of the II & III Returns, is the same as Gost Squad. Great game & can be had cheap.
Link's Crossbow Training is ok, but it does make for a really good pack in title (Comes with Wii Zapper)
Wild West Guns (WiiWare). Only $10 and pretty fun/addicting/challenging. If you get a Zapper and you enjoy Link's Crossbow Training, you will enjoy this very much. Co-Op is a good time.

I never played Medal of Honor 2, but I hear it's another great shooter.

Ghost squad is great. It is short, but most shooters are of late. It has replayability if you are into unlockables, because killing people in a panda suit is fun. (it can be found new, sealed and shipped on many CAGs tradlist for $18 or a wanted game).

Nice, thanks for listing some titles, I'll look into all of them. Over night I thought about it and decided it doesn't HAVE to be kid friendly (because I can always play it while they're not around). An arcade shooter is exactly what I'm looking for. Never been too into war games though. Right now Ghost Squad and House of the Dead 2 & 3 seem like a must buy. Gonna stop by some stores while I'm at my guitar lesson and see if I can pick up a used copy.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Chacrana']Good shooters? There is only Metroid Prime.[/quote]Unless you wanna count Medal of Honor Heroes (no local multiplayer on that one = no buy for me) or the various on-rail shooters, of which Ghost Squad was indeed the best.

I'm so happy. My university has an arcade with Ghost Squad in it. That gun is somethin' else.

Over night I thought about it and decided it doesn't HAVE to be kid friendly

Then RE4 is an excellent choice. Great shooting controls; it's good enough that I have no interest in RE5 on any other platform, and am greatly hyped over Wii FPS potential. Beyond simply being fun to shoot things with the Wii Remote, it's a very good game; and there's a ton of bang for your buck. There's the main game, of course, which is probably 15-20 hours for most people the first time through (and you WILL want to replay it at least a couple times, which is another 3-10 hours depending on how quickly you go and how much you skip); there's a shooting gallery minigame placed throughout the main game-- I didn't bother with it, but it's something to do if you want. There's an 'other side' story which takes a few hours to complete, and a little substory to play through too (it's pretty short, but I can't give an accurate estimate because I wasted a lot of time screwing around when I did it). THEN there's the Mercenaries mode, which is sort of an arcade "how many zombies can you kill/survive" thing; again, I didn't bother with it, but there's plenty to do there. And then there's trying to beat it on Hard Mode, and getting the PRL... It's a great game, and a great bargain. You will get so much replay value out of it; and without being nearly as repetative as something like Ghost Squad or Wild West Guns.

I like Ghost Squad a lot, and HotD 2/3 is OK. But if you like war-themed shooters, I strongly recommend Medal of Honor:Heroes 2. It has a huge arcade mode (perfect for Zapper or Perfect Shot) that takes you thru all the campaign scenes on rails. Plus the campaign mode itself is fun. These modes have some different weapon modes, like machine gun and mortar. It has online multiplayer too.

Just gave up FarCry Vengeance, Wii Play, and Order Up today but I did pick up Ghost Squad and the Perfect Shot gun. Ghost Squad is insanely short but still fun. Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 looks pretty fun. That will be on my list of next game to get.

bread's done
Back