Recommendations for music at work

TurkeyOnRye

CAGiversary!
Feedback
214 (100%)
Hay CAG's. I need some music suggestions.

I just moved to the midnight shift at the hospital pharmacy I work at. Yeah, midnights are not my first shift choice, but the differential is an additional 50% in pay with a 7 day on/7 day off schedule. I was offered the spot and then found out my wife was pregnant (Surprise!) so it kinda worked out. Anyway, I'm by myself in a sterile room mixing IV's for an entire hospital for the majority of my 10 hour shift which means I can crank my Zune up to 20 and jam while I'm working since I don't have to answer the phone like the other shifts.

I've recently rediscovered my love for Rush (Fly By Night, Closer to the Heart, Spirit of Radio, Freewill, Limelight, Tom Sawyer, etc.) and Queen (all of their songs!) which I play on almost a nightly basis. So my question... what other bands have similar styles? I kinda dig Geddy Lee's and Freddie Mercury's voices. That slightly high pitch, high range sound. And the guitar riffs.

And please. No Dragonforce. Not even up for discussion.

Also, I recently heard Disturbed's cover of Land of Confusion and Seether's cover of Careless Whisper and thought they were both great and wanted to know if there was anymore cover songs by metal bands like that. I'd love to make a playlist of that type of stuff.

if you like Rush, Coheed and Cambria is pretty similar, I think anyway.

if you like Queen, the Darkness has been compared to them as well.. their first album is fucking awesome, second is solid.

Those are two newer bands that have similar stylings that you are looking for.

Since you mention Rush you should check out the 70s era of Yes. Lots of long songs but some amazing guitar work from Steve Howe on them. Plus Jon Anderson's high range voice is just amazing. Start with "The Yes Album" and go up through "Tormato." You'll have a blast.

I never even thought of the Darkness, Destro. I'll download some of their stuff.

I'll also sample the Yes albums Demo mentioned and see if I might like Coheed and Cambria. Thanks for the ideas guys. Keep 'em coming!

Any ideas on metal cover songs?

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Make sure you listen at a reasonable volume from 9 to 11.[/QUOTE]

Well, I have two Laminar Air Flow Hoods, a Class II Biological Safety Cabinet, an industrial refridgerator and freezer, and a ton of air curtains for sterility. Cranking to 20 is a must or you won't hear over all of the noise.

Triumph - Great Canadian band in the vein of Rush, "Fight the Good Fight" is one of my favorite songs ever

Also, Dream Theater. If you haven't heard them, they're not for everybody. There is usually quite a bit of crossover between Rush and DT fans. So if you like Rush, you'll probably like DT.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Triumph - Great Canadian band in the vein of Rush, "Fight the Good Fight" is one of my favorite songs ever

Also, Dream Theater. If you haven't heard them, they're not for everybody. There is usually quite a bit of crossover between Rush and DT fans. So if you like Rush, you'll probably like DT.[/QUOTE]

+1 on DT and rush.

bread's done
Back