Recommendations for new heatsink/replacement CPU issues?

Capn Stabby

CAGiversary!
Feedback
56 (100%)
I have an overclocked E6420 at 2.6 with a stock cooler and stock voltages, but a recent heat wave has really opened my eyes. It idles at roughly 45C and I haven't tested it under load for fear of damaging it.

I figure the best solution would be to get rid of the stock heatsink/fan and install a new one. Does anyone know the best and easiest to install heatsink/fan?

I'd like to keep price down and performance high, of course, but the biggest requirement is that I do not have to install a backplate or anything that requires me to remove the motherboard. I just want something that can pop on top of the CPU and I'm good to go.

Thanks!

/edit/ Oh, I have a P180 too, so it can't be anything too big.

Do you remember if you had to remove the motherboard?

Upon reading up on yours and most of the top coolers out there, it seems that I will have to remove my motherboard and install a backplate in almost all instances.

I figure since I'm doing that, I might consider swapping a new CPU in. Does anyone know what adjustments I would need? I was thinking of going from an E6420 to E8400. Do I need to make adjustments in the BIOS, etc?

Thermaltake V1

I have this heatsink/fan on my E6750 and with ambient temperature at 27C, the CPU is idling at 31C, and when fully loaded it is at 45C. This heatsink does not require you to remove the motherboard, it uses the same clip mechanism as the stock unit, and it's very sturdy surprisingly. You can read a temperature benchmark here in comparison to about 20 other 3rd party fans.

To answer your last question, what is the brand and model of your motherboard? If your motherboard has G31/G33/P35 chipset, then you can easily do a CPU swap to your new E8400 without any problem or BIOS update. If you run on a motherboard with older chipset, such as the P965 series, you might have to do a BIOS update or in worst case there is a big chance that the motherboard doesn't support E8000 series CPU at all.

bread's done
Back