Recommendations for Routers

CMoney™

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I'm looking for recommendations a great/excellent router to connect to Xbox live while having my computer connected at the same time. I have uTorrent opened all day, so I need a router that can provide enough bandwidth for both my PC & XBox 360. What do you guys recommend?

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place.

uhh the problem wouldn't be the router its your internet connection.

typical connections are 12Mbps, a shitty router/switch runs 10/100Mbps

I would recommend a WRT54G by linksys. cheap, effective, & u can reflash it to gain features that are on higher end routers like MRTG, QoS, etc.

your issue w/ uTorrent is going to be the amount of peers you have connected. It will saturate your Gateway and cause u problems. No router will fix that.

[quote name='CMoney™']I'm looking for recommendations a great/excellent router to connect to Xbox live while having my computer connected at the same time. I have uTorrent opened all day, so I need a router that can provide enough bandwidth for both my PC & XBox 360. What do you guys recommend?

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place.[/QUOTE]
I recommend that you use some bandwidth control on your bittorrent client. As naiku said, it's not your router, it's your internet connection. Once your upload is saturated with data, you're going to get shitty performance.

Agree all the way around. Reflashing the WRT54G by LinkSys with DD-WRT provides many useful features on a cheaper router.

Thanks for the recommendation. I found the WRT54G router on ebay already flashed for $76.85 ($60 + S/H + Insurance). Would I need/want SD/MMC support? It's $60 more & for that price, I'm not sure if it's worth it.

It's from T-Mobile, if that matters anything.

[quote name='Malik112099']you should be able to easily get a WRT54G for less than $50 and I'm sure you can find DD-WRT for free somewhere[/quote]Linksys now ships the version 5 WRT54, which doesn't support most third party firmware. It runs DD-WRT, but only a strip down version. Version 4 support the full DD-WRTfirmwire. Plus, if done wrong, I get a bricked device.

WRT54GL is what you want to find, as it's the v4 or earlier WRT54G.

That's the one that doesn't suck. Plus, the WRT54G is actually up to V8 and beyond now.

Thanks for the recommendation. I found the WRT54G router on ebay already flashed for $76.85 ($60 + S/H + Insurance). Would I need/want SD/MMC support? It's $60 more & for that price, I'm not sure if it's worth it.

It's from T-Mobile, if that matters anything.
That guy paid $20 + tax (w/free shipping) for his, so keep that in mind when you're deciding on buying it.

Thread on SD about it, which is a dead deal:
http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?sduid=0&t=1075454

I kind of have a similiar ? About routers. I live in a huge college apartment/dorm that provides Internet via ethernet. I had my psn connected but I just got a ln52a850 with infolink and now I don't have a connect for it. What is the best way to connect my tv and ps3 to the Internet? Would a wireless router work or would a wired one be best

Found a T-Mobile store that is selling it $29.99. Other stores were selling it $40. I have my fingers crossed that the deal isn't just for T-Mobile customers. It kind of feels like a too good to be true deal. :whistle2:k

Edit - Just came back from a T-Mobile store & bought the router for $19.99. :D The guy even gave me the rebate form to try to get the $20 rebate, but even if I don't, the price was a steal! :applause:

Edit 2 - Router is set up with the latest DD-WRT Max firmware. Awesome! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back