Recommendations on a sub $1000 gaming laptop

qwikstreet

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (100%)
I'm looking into buying my first Windows machine. I've owned nothing but Mac and cheap unix desktops. My current mbp is just a few years old and its time to upgrade and cash in on the tradein value of the mbp. I am looking for a below $1k laptop and will go with Windows just for the fact that I want to explore the larger library of games. (I've always been a console gamer so this is a new adventure for me.)

I'm going for a laptop for the mobility since I travel for work and I also want to use my computer away from my basement office. My home office already has dual monitors in place. 

I was looking at the Acer Aspire 17inch but the battery life was pretty low (not like that is a big feature to me). If I do at least half of my laptop time in the home office (dual monitors), then do I really need a 17inch or should I look at better 15inch models?

Does anyone know of any worthwhile laptops coming out in Q4 2014?

What games to you plan on playing because the moment you enter the laptop arena for gaming you have to accept a great deal of compromise. However, if you were going with a desktop then the (hardcoded) sky is the limit.

I know there will be a limit of what I can get but the mobility will allow me to write some of it off to work. Games to start off would be Civ5, guild wars type game, and whatever i catch on a deal or strikes my fancy. 

ASUS N550JK - This one was on sale for $800 at Microcenter in NYC last time I checked. It's decent and can covers those games easily.

Lenovo Y410p - This one I have. I got it as a gift recently and it's a good machine. The only gripe I have (which I think is true for most Windows 8 machines out there is that you have to do a trick to get the bios up - which is important for making it great for gaming). I put LM 17 on it and it flies with any game I throw at it.

The ASUS N550JK is on my short list I was looking at. The Y410 wasn't but the Y510 and Y50 touchscreen were. I'm sure I will need to get my FPS fix on and as long as it can run on semi-high settings and look good, then I will be fine...for now.

bread's done
Back