Recommended Accessories for Nintendo 3DS?

RabbitSuit

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
Gonna be an idiot and purchase a 3DS before E3 this year, because, yeah, just want it. What are the recommended accessories to have for them? I heard a battery pack is basically a necessity and I want a decent case to carry it around to avoid damage.

Any items you folks would recommend over others?

I decided to hold off on the Nyko battery pack because I bought the Pull and Go case before it even came out. If it wasn't for the bulky Nyko battery this would be the BEST case you can possibly buy. It comes with a pouch you can carry with you that attaches to a larger "folio" that can hold a ton of games, a charger or two, and a stylus. I decided to wait until a thinner battery comes out (if ever). Right now I just have my settings set to the lowest and so I get a decent amount of game time from that.
Can't think of any other necessary accessories unless you plan on buying Snaker Eater. It controls really badly (imo) without the Circle Pad Pro.

The Hori screen protector is a must: http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-3DS-Screen-Protective-Filter/dp/B004K6LQ9E/
Once it's on, you can't even see it anymore (well, I can see mine since there are two bubbles on the top from lack of adhesive, but at least the bubbles aren't on the screen).

You will probably want to add something to keep the bottom screen lip from scratching the top screen. The default pads are too short. I took two rubber feet from my 360 and put one in each of the top screen corners. They add just enough height that the bottom screen can't touch the top. I don't even notice they are there anymore.

Club Nintendo offers a great 3DS game case for 250 coins: https://club.nintendo.com/rewards-details/a/24002.do
You'll get 160 coins just for registering your new 3DS. Each 3DS game should get you 40 coins (30 for registering, 10 for post play survey a week later).

I don't know which is the best 3DS case as I don't carry mine with me too often. I went with this soft Hori case for home: www.amazon.com/Nintendo-3DS-Compact-Case-Black/dp/B004K6LQ80/
Has slots for 3 games. It's soft cover so I wouldn't trust it in a bag or backpack. Hori makes a hard cover version but it's bulkier: www.amazon.com/Nintendo-3DS-Hard-Pouch-Black/dp/B004K6LQ7G/

Here's what I've picked up since I got my 3DS:

I prefer the Nyko Power Grip when it comes to extended batteries. It doesn't require you to remove the back of the system like some other extended batteries do (it just snaps on and off). It adds bulk to the system, but that actually makes it more comfortable to hold/use.

To address the screen scratching issue, I've always just thrown a cleaning cloth over the bottom screen whenever I close the system.

If you're getting RE: Revelations or MGS, you need to get a circle pad pro.

The 3DS game case from Club Nintendo is great. I've used a couple of other ones that I like a lot as well, but I can't remember the manufacturers. They look like this one, but can be found at Target for like $10. I also picked up one in a clearanced "ultimate starter" kit that carried 24 games in a 2x3 grid.

As for Transport cases, I've always just used portable hard drive cases (Case Logic ones I got on clearance). They're tall enough to store the system and power grip, and also have a pouch at the top to hold headphones and games.

[quote name='roger watersmelon'] I prefer the Nyko Power Grip when it comes to extended batteries. It doesn't require you to remove the back of the system like some other extended batteries do (it just snaps on and off). It adds bulk to the system, but that actually makes it more comfortable to hold/use. [/QUOTE]

I didn't know about the Power Grip. The fact that its easily detachable solves my problem for the time being. Thanks for (unintentionally) helping me :D

If you're getting RE: Revelations or MGS, you need to get a circle pad pro.

MGS, yes, but RE: Revelations is perfectly playable without it.
RabbitSuit, you'll be able to download a demo of each on the 3DS eShop so you can see for yourself.

[quote name='AZR43L']MGS, yes, but RE: Revelations is perfectly playable without it.
RabbitSuit, you'll be able to download a demo of each on the 3DS eShop so you can see for yourself.[/QUOTE]
I like RE better with the CPP, but that might have just been an attempt to better justify buying a $20 joystick :D

Thanks everyone. Bit on the Hori screen protector, Nyko Power Grip, and use the NoA Club Nintendo case. Quick question about the Hori/Executive Casing, can those hold the 3DS securely and let you play it at the same time?

That feature is why I love my DSlite casing.

I think I'm going to wait on the CPP. Unless Monster Hunter or Luigi's Mansion 2 requires it, I dunno about picking it up at all.

[quote name='Smashbro29']Wait for e3. It's my plan![/QUOTE]

You can't speak sense into a person that doesn't want to make any.

[quote name='RabbitSuit']Thanks everyone. Bit on the Hori screen protector, Nyko Power Grip, and use the NoA Club Nintendo case. Quick question about the Hori/Executive Casing, can those hold the 3DS securely and let you play it at the same time?

That feature is why I love my DSlite casing.

I think I'm going to wait on the CPP. Unless Monster Hunter or Luigi's Mansion 2 requires it, I dunno about picking it up at all.

You can't speak sense into a person that doesn't want to make any.[/QUOTE]
I think this is more of what you are looking for in a case then... 3DS Folio Case by Rocketfish. Some Best Buy stores have them on clearance right now for $6.99.
89718094.png

1974697_ra.jpg
1974697cv2a.jpg
1974697cv1a.jpg

[quote name='lilman']The Hori screen protector is a must: http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-3DS-Screen-Protective-Filter/dp/B004K6LQ9E/
Once it's on, you can't even see it anymore (well, I can see mine since there are two bubbles on the top from lack of adhesive, but at least the bubbles aren't on the screen).

You will probably want to add something to keep the bottom screen lip from scratching the top screen. The default pads are too short. I took two rubber feet from my 360 and put one in each of the top screen corners. They add just enough height that the bottom screen can't touch the top. I don't even notice they are there anymore.

Club Nintendo offers a great 3DS game case for 250 coins: https://club.nintendo.com/rewards-details/a/24002.do
You'll get 160 coins just for registering your new 3DS. Each 3DS game should get you 40 coins (30 for registering, 10 for post play survey a week later).

I don't know which is the best 3DS case as I don't carry mine with me too often. I went with this soft Hori case for home: www.amazon.com/Nintendo-3DS-Compact-Case-Black/dp/B004K6LQ80/
Has slots for 3 games. It's soft cover so I wouldn't trust it in a bag or backpack. Hori makes a hard cover version but it's bulkier: www.amazon.com/Nintendo-3DS-Hard-Pouch-Black/dp/B004K6LQ7G/[/QUOTE]
Is it true the Hori screen protector makes the touch screen a little less responsive? I'm on the fence about getting one so I've just been using that thin foam sheet that Nintendo put between the screens in the packaging.

Some accessories I picked up for my 3DS are the 3DS Aluminum Shell plus Stylus Pens Kit - Gray by Hyperkin & the GreenBulb 3DS/DS Lite/Dsi/DSiXL XStylus Crayon Transforming Wide Grip Stylus Pack. I'm still testing out the xstylus crayon to see how well it works versus the original. It fits in the same pen slot on the systems however is much wider. And the shell is good quality. Strong, light-weight and doesn't scratch the system when you put it on. Just really annoying to remove.

[quote name='UnlockPotential']Is it true the Hori screen protector makes the touch screen a little less responsive?[/QUOTE]
I haven't noticed any loss in responsiveness.

[quote name='UnlockPotential']Is it true the Hori screen protector makes the touch screen a little less responsive?[/QUOTE]

I haven't noticed anything either, and I think I would have after playing through KI: U. :)

[quote name='The Lord of Awesome']I've never had a issue with the battery life but that's just me[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I've never needed to play more than 4-5 hours while on the go, and whenever I play at home the charger is right next to me if needed. Battery life great? Of course not. But it only lasts a couple of hours less than most smart phones(about the same if you used one for about 5 hours straight)... The whole complaint is blown slightly out of proportion if you ask me.

Battery life may or may not be an issue, so wait and see on that. I know when I go to a convention, I don't play for more than a couple of hours - and that's mostly to clear Streetpass queues. Might be different at this year's PAX (where lines are far more significant).
However, you do have to get some kind of case for the games. Tried carrying DS games in their retail cases to my first PAX and it took way too much room. It might be better to outright buy that and save those Club Nintendo points for DLC games.

If you already made your decision then whatever but I just thought I should share this. :)
I just ordered a Skinomi skin shield for the entire 3DS (not just the screens) for $9.95. I don't know anything about Hori but Skinomi protectors are of the high quality literal "scratch-proof" material that tends to be more expensive than regular skin protectors (same as "Invisible Shield" if you've heard of it). The only two downsides to it is that it's not licensed by nintendo and you have to be extra careful (and patient) while applying it.

bread's done
Back