recommended Strategy RPGs?

moblin

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I am just getting into this genre from playing Fire Emblem. What other games are good and how do they compare to FE? Tell me about Jeanne D'Arc, FFT, Disgaea, SRW, etc.

I really liked Band of Bugs for the XBL. For 10 bones I think its pretty fun, plus the first game I got 200/200 on. Disgaea is about the best series if you ask me.

The Super Robot games are similar, except its OK to die. Its a lot more technical though when you've got mech/weapon customization.

I found them kind of dry in comparison, but still fairly good.

Shining Force ][. Just simple enough to be engrossing and fun at the same time.

Great, great game.

ff tactics is probably the greatest game i have ever played. It is a bit complicated with all of the job classes, and there are so many characters you can take into your army.

Hoshigami and tactics ogre are similar games but i liked FFT better. I guess you could say it is too easy, especially if you never play stragety games.

Almost all of NIS games are SRPG gold. Jeanne D'Arc is good like the others, FFT is being remade for the psp and a new one is coming out for the DS.

If you're more story oriented you might want to rent some of those NIS games before you buy. I am the biggest FFTactics fan in the world, but I couldn't stand Disgaea, La Pucelle, or Phantom Brave. Maybe it's the anime, maybe it's the 'leveling up a few thousand times...for what purpose exactly?' style of gameplay that just turned me off. I understand why many people enjoy them, I'm just saying there's a huge difference between the Fire Emblem series and NIS SRPG's.

You can play the NIS games like regular RPGs. Theres no need to actually level at any point in the main game, unless you just suck at it. Thats all optional.

FFTactics is the greatest game of all time. Just make sure you have two save files because when you get into a series of battles you may find one where you have no chance of beating if you saved from right before (I suspect that anyone who played the game knows which specific one I'm talking about), but there are many challenges.

I also like disgaea a lot, it's better than phantom brave i think (never played Purcell or Makai kingdom)

Final Fantasy Tactics is far and away the best in the genre, but you might be better off waiting for the PSP version.

Disgaea is far less epic, but I would argue that it has better gameplay. You could sink 250 hours into that game no problem.

Both Vandal Hearts games are fun, but feel like budget titles and are painful to look at. The first is also incredibly short and easy.

I would recommend grabbing Disgaea and playing that until the FFT remake comes out.

FF Tactics is my favorite game of all time. So I'm a bit bias. I still think it's the best strategy rpg to date.

Other notable great ones:
Tactics Ogre (this is almost as good as FF Tactics.. almost.)
Ogre Battle PS1
Ogre Battle 64

Final Fantasy tactics for ps1 or advance is must play for strategy rpg. Both stories are pretty weak, but it's unique skill distribution shadow this. I can't think of much srpg with flexible skill distribution system. You can customize how you character anyway you like, opening variety of strategies. Even level grinding is enjoyable, trying to unlock different skills to enhance your character.

Dragon force- Unquie troop movement commands, world map controls and use 8 different army
Shining Force Series- Old school strategy rpg without the complicated stuff
Disgaea 1- Lots of likable characters and tons of reply value
Disgaea 2- More polish gameplay from previous series, but characters aren't as great as previous series.
Fire Emblem Series- Great storyline, Triangle weapon system

[quote name='lordwow']I love FFTactics. I wish they'd come out with it on DS or something.[/QUOTE]

They are :). Well, not the original FFT—a sequel to Final Fantasy Tactics Advance is coming out on the DS. It's coming out in Japan on October 25; it hasn't been announced for the U.S. yet, but I don't see why it wouldn't come out here, possibly in the spring or summer.

Link

I have the same question as the OP, but I'm much more of a casual SRPG fan. I couldn't get into FF Tactics because of the sheer size of it, same with Disgaea. The game I enjoyed most was Vandal Hearts because of the ease of it and the fact that you don't need to grind in it. Any recommendations for games in this vein?

[quote name='The Crotch']A
Front Mission, the first one especially. There's a translated ROM of it floating around, but the complexity is a turn-off for some.[/QUOTE]

I'd second that. Also note that Front Mission 1 is coming to the DS in October, with a bunch of new content that wasn't in the original version. Front Mission 3 is also tops.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']I have the same question as the OP, but I'm much more of a casual SRPG fan. I couldn't get into FF Tactics because of the sheer size of it, same with Disgaea. The game I enjoyed most was Vandal Hearts because of the ease of it and the fact that you don't need to grind in it. Any recommendations for games in this vein?[/quote]

No grinding was required in disgaea. If you were good enough and smart enough then you could easily level without to much trouble.

[quote name='InuFaye']No grinding was required in disgaea. If you were good enough and smart enough then you could easily level without to much trouble.[/QUOTE]
For a casual player, Disgaea would be pretty overwhelming. That's not a game to ease into by any means.

There's a translated version of Bahamut Lagoon floating around, and I thought that game was pretty easy. I played it during college and had a good time for about a week.

[quote name='q 3']I'd second that. Also note that Front Mission 1 is coming to the DS in October, with a bunch of new content that wasn't in the original version. Front Mission 3 is also tops.[/QUOTE]Thirding! Front Mission needs more love. FM5 never left Japan *shakes fist at Squeenix*, but there's FM3 for the PS1, FM4 for PS2, and the upcoming DS port of the first game in the series. They're sci-fi mech games that take place in a future Earth, a very different setting from your typical SRPG. One unique aspect of the series is that each unit has four sets of HP, one for each Wanzer (mech) part.

Nippon Ichi's SRPGs tend to be good, but Phantom Brave and Makai Kingdom both use this weird "grid free" system that annoys the hell out of me. La Pucelle and Disgaea are the ones from that company I've enjoyed the most. They are genuinely funny, charming games, and the gameplay aspects are quite good. If you want to play both, I suggest La Pucelle first, as it's not quite as busy and overwhelming as Disgaea.

Final Fantasy Tactics and Final Fantasy Tactics Advance are both work picking up, but in certain ways, they're very different from each other. FFT is heavier on story and strategy; FFTA has a ton of side missions and works very well as a portable game in that it can be played in short spurts. Both have deep and extensive job systems, though FFTA's is a touch more complicated as there's five different races, each with their own set of jobs.

bread's done
Back