Recover 360 password?

praxus07

CAGiversary!
Feedback
-1 (0%)
OK, a friend of mine had his 4yo xbox die last night, so he went out today and got a new 250gb slim. Only problem is he can't figure out how to recover his old password. Apparently the old email he registered under is now long gone, and he never updated when he got a new email addy. How would he go about recovering his password so he can log into his xbox profile and redownload all of his stuff?

Keep in mind he's not web saavy, nor tech saavy, in the least. When he gets a spam pop-up he trusts it and clicks on it, that's how bad he is with stuff like this.

it's a @#$% of a process (for your protection), but your buddy might luck out. Best thing to do is call xbox customer support for someone who isn't web or tech saavy.

I'm really not sure what the problem on his end is.

I finally got him to give me the passwords he thought it might have been under, and had no problem at all getting his account loaded in on my xbox (via the Download Profile option). But when he tries inputting the login info on his new xbox he gets a message saying the gamertag is incorrect, try again. He says he can log in to the xbox website, just not into the new xbox. This went on for over two hours tonight till he finally gave up for the night.

Forgot to mention in the first post, he's Never subscribed to Gold either, so I know they can't fix it by verifying any info related to that.

Is your friend located near you? If you have a flash drive you could just move his profile thats currently on your system to the flash drive and move it to his current 360's hard drive. I know that doesn't answer how to fix his actual issue of why it won't recognize his gamertag when he enters it, but he would be able to start [re]downloading items to his new Xbox 360.

Although, I guess if he has a hard drive from his previous console he could use a transfer kit to do the same thing I said above, and not lose save files. I think some games use your gamertag to actually store game information, and losing/recovering your gamertag can reset certain game data.

^ yeah sticking a usb into the xbox and dling the profile and just putting it on the slim is his only answer

he almost might to resigster his new xbox under his gamertag, console migration thing that you can only do every 120 days now is it? dling his profile to an existing console w/an owner is easy to a brand new one might be why you're running into some bumps.

Just found out the USB's have to be 1gb to use on the 360, and all I've got are a crapload of 128mb's that came free with Staples DVD-r's. I will mention the registering the console under his gamertag via the website though, neither one of us thought of that.

We're not actually sure what's wrong with his old xbox, or if the HD even works. He was getting game freezes/giant pixelation (he installs the games to the HD) before I got there, then once I got there we put in a dvd, the video froze after 5 minutes with giant pixelation smeared across the screen, and we shut the xbox off. Tried turning it back on, got a black screen and then nothing, just the black screen. So we let it off for a while thinking maybe it was too hot internally, then tried again. This time the xbox logo started to load up, froze, and got all pixelated. Off and on again got us another black screen, and this time the red ring of death started blinking on and off. So not sure if the HD is fried along with the unit. Never seen this on any of my xbox's, and I'm on my fourth.

Sounds like an issue with a video card, maybe? The system probably over-heated it from play (it doesn't even have to be extensive play). If you have an old model system you might be able to check his hard drive for him by putting it into your system.

If not, do either of you have the Xbox 360 transfer cable? You could try connecting it to either of your systems to see if his hard drive is safe and if his data can be transferred. I think you can buy them in stores for $20 (somewhat pricy to check a hard drive, but the time it would save for lost game data might be worth it).

As for the flash drive issue, you might be able to get a really cheap 1 GB + for under $10, you just have to make sure the speed of it is 'worthy' of the Xbox 360 requirements. The system will tell you this when you insert the drive, but you'd have to buy one first.

If your friend is interested, I noticed that the Xbox 360 16 GB flash drives are on sale at Amazon for about $20. I bought mine about a year ago from that 3rd party seller (Blue Proton) and haven't had any issues with it [it is a legit one, not some 3rd party scam]. It's setup to work immediately with the 360's required formatting. I can't say if $20 for a 16 GB flash drive is a good price, but I paid $30 for it and use it as a 'memory card' for all my save games and game profile for when I go to my sisters house.

bread's done
Back