Red Alert 3 Preorder For $39.99 at Amazon

Please remember that, unfortunately, RA3 will have a similar DRM scheme as SPORE.

If you buy and install RA3:

Electronic Arts will install a difficult-to-remove SecureROM program that can disable your access to RA3 at any time.

You will only be able to install RA3 a few times before SecrueROM starts complaining.

You will be unable to sell your copy when you're done with it.

You will be supporting EA's attempt to destroy the used game market through proprietary software controls.

You will be doing all of this even though there are plenty of other games out there to enjoy.

But it does look really awesome so it's worth it, right?

[quote name='frap']You will be doing all of this even though there are plenty of other games out there to enjoy.[/quote]

This is where you lost me. Find me a decent RA3 clone, and maybe what you're saying will make more sense, because unless you find a good reason to reinstall the game willy-nilly, or a goddamn EB/GS that actually SELLS PC games used, then the only real downside I see out of what you posted is the inability to re-sell the game.

Sorry, but SecuROM is not difficult to remove. I have had a number of SecuROM-protected games, and it has caused zero problems with my computer. The only issue I had was with getting Empire at War: Forces of Corruption to start, and all it took was a patch to get the game working right.

Also, the used PC game market really isn't thriving, anyway.

EDIT: I guess it is fair to say that SecuROM is difficult to remove if you aren't really comfortable with computers. So, I take back my initial statement.

[quote name='frap']Please remember that, unfortunately, RA3 will have a similar DRM scheme as SPORE.

If you buy and install RA3:

Electronic Arts will install a difficult-to-remove SecureROM program that can disable your access to RA3 at any time.

You will only be able to install RA3 a few times before SecrueROM starts complaining.

You will be supporting EA's attempt to destroy the used game market through proprietary software controls.

You will be doing all of this even though there are plenty of other games out there to enjoy.

But it does look really awesome so it's worth it, right?[/quote]

That is what caused me to cancel my preorder and just get it for the 360 when it is cheaper

[quote name='grifter_mcgraw']This is where you lost me. Find me a decent RA3 clone, and maybe what you're saying will make more sense, because unless you find a good reason to reinstall the game willy-nilly, or a EB/GS that actually SELLS PC games used, then the only real downside I see out of what you posted is the inability to re-sell the game.[/QUOTE]

Then for you it is worth it. Congratulations! As I mentioned, it does look awesome.

For those of you who will not be purchasing RA3, Red Alert 2 is also pretty good, cheaper, and can even run on an older laptop.

-frap

Is it safe to assume that this preorder price won't go up (until the game ships, at least)? I'm waiting on an Amazon $10 gift card code, and I'd happily get it for the PC at $30 now, as opposed to waiting for a sizable price drop on the 360 months later.

[quote name='frap']Electronic Arts will install a difficult-to-remove SecureROM program that can disable your access to RA3 at any time.[/quote]

SecuRom [you spelt it wrong mr expert :roll:] 7 will only install a seperate program if the user is using a non-admin account. It uninstalls just fine. But keep confusing SecuRom with Starforce, clearly you dont mind spreading FUD.

You have 5 "tokens". You may install the game on 5 machines without issue. You can redeem a token at any time by simply uninstalling the game. Raise your hand if you enjoy a single PC game on more than 5 consecutive PCs at a single time. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Incorrect. The tokens are credited to the unique key of each game copy. Simply uninstall the game and feel free to sell, or gift, it to whom ever you wish. The install limitation can be, and most likely would be, disabled some time in the future.

Riiiight. Cause SecuRom's ever expanding/improved versions arent security measures thats been used on many of the most popular games over the years to combat piracy. Clearly if i install this game using 1 of my 5 tokens, enjoy it, then uninstall it crediting the key code the full 5 tokens again, i could never resell it.

But it does look really awesome so it's worth it, right?

Hey, look on the bright side, you had no idea what the hell you were talking about in the above, but at least you know what gaming is about. I for one thoroughly enjoyed one of the best games of the last few years that happened to use such a security feature [disabled some months after release], Bioshock.

Now you and the rest of the FUD spreading lemmings run along and finish preparing your plans to sabotage the games release via spamming your 1 star reviews citing the same falsities i had to correct you on here. You sure are doing gamers a service by scaring them away from a product that they might otherwise greatly enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='MarkHawk']I pre-orderd this game a view weeks ago. How does the Amazon Price guarantee work? My order still reads 46.99.[/quote]

You can shoot their CS an email or take the far quicker method of simply cancelling the old order and re-ordering through your account.

lol soo many games not enough timee
AAA.gif

[quote name='qwerty1']SecuRom [you spelt it wrong mr expert :roll:] 7 will only install a seperate program if the user is using a non-admin account. It uninstalls just fine. But keep confusing SecuRom with Starforce, clearly you dont mind spreading FUD.

You have 5 "tokens". You may install the game on 5 machines without issue. You can redeem a token at any time by simply uninstalling the game. Raise your hand if you enjoy a single PC game on more than 5 consecutive PCs at a single time. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Incorrect. The tokens are credited to the unique key of each game copy. Simply uninstall the game and feel free to sell, or gift, it to whom ever you wish. The install limitation can be, and most likely would be, disabled some time in the future.

Riiiight. Cause SecuRom's ever expanding/improved versions arent security measures thats been used on many of the most popular games over the years to combat piracy. Clearly if i install this game using 1 of my 5 tokens, enjoy it, then uninstall it crediting the key code the full 5 tokens again, i could never resell it.

Hey, look on the bright side, you had no idea what the hell you were talking about in the above, but at least you know what gaming is about. I for one thoroughly enjoyed one of the best games of the last few years that happened to use such a security feature [disabled some months after release], Bioshock.

Now you and the rest of the FUD spreading lemmings run along and finish preparing your plans to sabotage the games release via spamming your 1 star reviews citing the same falsities i had to correct you on here. You sure are doing gamers a service by scaring them away from a product that they might otherwise greatly enjoy.[/quote]

Ouch.. owned.. on so many points.

[quote name='frap']Electronic Arts will install a difficult-to-remove SecureROM program that can disable your access to RA3 at any time.[/quote]
Go away, and take your propaganda with you.

That's not true at all. There is absolutely nothing about SecuROM that prevents reselling, if you use it correctly and revoke your installs.

And even if you fucked up, damn dude, there are people stupid enough to buy used copies of Valve games on eBay, so, yeah, I don't think you'd ever have trouble selling a used copy.

Everything qwerty1 said is correct. You anti-DRM idiots are really out of control about SecuROM lately. I'm not crazy about DRM later, but your bullshit FUD propaganda needs to stop. It's a huge disservice.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='qwerty1']SecuRom [you spelt it wrong mr expert :roll:] 7 will only install a seperate program if the user is using a non-admin account. It uninstalls just fine. But keep confusing SecuRom with Starforce, clearly you dont mind spreading FUD.[/quote]

I AM BAD SPEELER.

This is incorrect, AFAIK. Please refer to this link to the EA forums where an EA rep (easmudge) explicitly stated that you do NOT get back an install when you uninstall the game. It's on page 5, in the middle.
Direct Link:
http://forums.ea.com/mboards/thread.jspa?threadID=430797&start=60&tstart=0

I've never posted a 1-star review or planned to sabotage the game. I love the RA games. I just want people to understand what they are "buying." I don't think that most people would have a problem if EA explicitly stated how the DRM is implemented. But right now it's confusing and it can change at any time.

Your reply was based on the fact that you can "reclaim" an install by uninstalling. The information I've seen from EA refutes this unless I've missed something, which is possible. If they've changed their approach I will edit my message according. If all of you are correct and you can get back installs (easily), then that's great.

-frap

i dont really give a fuck about securom. i just dont think i'll have time to play it with all the other games coming out. wish they'd just delay it till next year, because that's probably when i'll buy it

[quote name='frap']I AM BAD SPEELER.

This is incorrect, AFAIK. Please refer to this link to the EA forums where an EA rep (easmudge) explicitly stated that you do NOT get back an install when you uninstall the game. It's on page 5, in the middle.
Direct Link:
http://forums.ea.com/mboards/thread.jspa?threadID=430797&start=60&tstart=0

I've never posted a 1-star review or planned to sabotage the game. I love the RA games. I just want people to understand what they are "buying." I don't think that most people would have a problem if EA explicitly stated how the DRM is implemented. But right now it's confusing and it can change at any time.

Your reply was based on the fact that you can "reclaim" an install by uninstalling. The information I've seen from EA refutes this unless I've missed something, which is possible. If they've changed their approach I will edit my message according. If all of you are correct and you can get back installs (easily), then that's great.

-frap[/quote]

In the case of RA3 i see i was wrong [clearly that dev has the same understanding i did] however i still feel you were bashing Securom as a whole which still isnt the devil. How severe the DRM is was a choice made by EA and the devs.

Is this particular DRM measure a major turn off? Yes. Does EA suck? Yes. Should that stop anyone from buying and enjoying the game? No.

skimming that thread i also noticed the devs made a point to mention that you can contact CS and have installs re-credited although clearly most people are being pessimistic to that point.

i also noticed that the game does not require the disc to play so in theory 5 people could install the game simutaniously and enjoy it. Of course only 1 person could play online at a time. Still that is a bit of a plus since it allows people to split the cost of the game and enjoy it legitimately.

and i still feel that this would be disabled some time after launch negating many peoples fears. The point to the ever increasing severity of DRM is to try to put off piracy as long as possible so that the initial sales are damaged too badly. I'd hope that after such a time has passed they'd disable the install limitations. If that doesnt turn out to be the case then that would be the real shame.

[quote name='qwerty1']In the case of RA3 i see i was wrong [clearly that dev has the same understanding i did] however i still feel you were bashing Securom as a whole which still isnt the devil. How severe the DRM is was a choice made by EA and the devs.[/quote]

I appreciate you looking into it. I don't want people to make the same assumption as you and then be disappointed. My GUESS is that this only-5-installs "feature" has nothing to do with illegal copying, but everything to do with limiting the possibility of a second-hand market a year from now.

If SecuROM always had the same restrictions, then we wouldn't have this confusion. In fact, there's still a chance EA will allow you to get back an install when you uninstall (not likely, but possible).

I agree that SecuROM is not the devil. I do think that if they removed SecuROM from RA3 the sales over the first few months would increase or be the same (over leaving SecuROM in). I understand that's an arguable point.

-frap

Call customer support? First their customer support is terrible and you cant just call and get another token. They have to feel you have a legitamit reason for another install. Second customer support in other countries costs people up to $3. So you think thats fair? Thirdly you got owned. Just go look at amazons RA3 page. Countless #'s of people are canceling their orders because of various things frap said

Of course, even if you you get tokens back when you uninstall the game, there is still the issue of reformatting without uninstalling the game, either by severe malfunction or forgetfulness. I got into trouble with this type of system with Acrobat when my computer needed to be reformatted, and Adobe only gave you two tokens.

[quote name='slickkill77']Thirdly you got owned.[/quote]

I admitted i was wrong in the specifics of the DRM RA3 uses which i thought was mature of me but if you insist on stampeding in here and acting like a total douche you can feel free to make a noose with which i can hang myself lest i try to recover after such online "pwnage". :roll:

by the way you might want to go look up the definition of pessimistic. i said absolutely nothing in defense of their claiming you can go to CS for an install redemption. A token system i dont mind but a hard cap of 5 installs is retarded no matter how you cut it.

It doesnt bother me much though, i wouldnt pay more than 20 bucks for an RTS game out of EA anyway. They havent been origonal in years.

DRM is dumb because it punishes less knowledgable legitimate users, but absolutely will not stop those who pirate games because those who pirate games tend to be more computer savvy. It's just a nuisance, in any case, and really prevents nothing as far as I'm concerned.

In any case, if I buy this game, it'll be way down the line when I can snag the premier edition for very cheap. I'd buy it used, too, if I could, just so EA doesn't get any of my money to support their DRM. Just fundamentally against it.

Thanks for the pricetag anyway, OP.

bread's done
Back