Red [Blu-Ray] - $12.99 @ Amazon

Just a heads up if you're interested, this is a version with ONLY the movie - no special features, no extra dvd, no digital copy.. JUST the movie

[quote name='Scorch']Just a heads up if you're interested, this is a version with ONLY the movie - no special features, no extra dvd, no digital copy.. JUST the movie[/QUOTE]Best Buy's "exclusive version" comes with the DVD, and seems to be the only version with the DVD copy bundled in there.

It's not clear if it's the SE content plus the DVD copy of the movie, or just the "stripped" version that Target and Amazon are selling for $13 with the DVD included.

[quote name='shrike4242']Best Buy's "exclusive version" comes with the DVD, and seems to be the only version with the DVD copy bundled in there.

It's not clear if it's the SE content plus the DVD copy of the movie, or just the "stripped" version that Target and Amazon are selling for $13 with the DVD included.[/QUOTE]

Wait, I'm confused - are you saying that the Amazon version could possibly have extra content? If so, it doesn't. It says "Movie only" in the bottom right hand corner of cover.

no, i think he's saying he doesn't know if the best buy exclusive is just a stripped 1 disc with a dvd or if the best buy one is the special edition with a dvd.

[quote name='Scorch']Wait, I'm confused - are you saying that the Amazon version could possibly have extra content? If so, it doesn't. It says "Movie only" in the bottom right hand corner of cover.[/QUOTE]No, I'm saying that for anyone that has Best Buy's "exclusive version" on the way or they're going to pick it up, it may be the same stripped version on the BD disc that is on this $13 version, or it may be the SE content that's in the more expensive version.

You mentioned that this was movie-only, which it is, and I brought up that the only store with a BD + DVD version was BB, in their "exclusive version".

[quote name='dmdragon']no, i think he's saying he doesn't know if the best buy exclusive is just a stripped 1 disc with a dvd or if the best buy one is the special edition with a dvd.[/QUOTE]Exactly. I'm hoping it's the SE content included on the BD disc with a DVD copy of the movie, since BB has repeatedly put out their "exclusive version" titles at a reduced price during release week and then it goes up significantly after release week.

I just ordered this a couple of hours ago when it was $17.99. Glad it dropped prior to release, so I will get the savings. Movie alone is fine since I have such a gaming and movie back log that I don't have time to watch too many extra features.

Another word of warning for this "movie only" edition.

THE TRUE HD AUDIO TRACK IS MISSING. All there is on this version is Dolby Digital 5.1.

This was confirmed by someone at blu-ray.com who got their copy from Amazon over the weekend, pretty crappy move by Summit to gimp the release this way.

-mattyp

[quote name='mattyp33']Another word of warning for this "movie only" edition.

THE TRUE HD AUDIO TRACK IS MISSING. All there is on this version is Dolby Digital 5.1.

This was confirmed by someone at blu-ray.com who got their copy from Amazon over the weekend, pretty crappy move by Summit to gimp the release this way.

-mattyp[/QUOTE]So the non-SE version is DD 5.1 and the SE is TrueHD audio? Lovely.

One more reason to figure out what's on the BB "exclusive" version.

Here's the Blu-Ray.com thread about it:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/blu-ray-movies-north-america/158651-red-january-25th.html

Appears the non-SE version of the movie is a single-layer BD25 disc, where the SE is a dual-layer BD50 disc. Apparently the reason the special features are gone and the audio is DD 5.1 only. Last couple of pages in the thread discuss it.

Also, since this is a Target weekly ad flier price, you can raincheck it at Target if your Target store runs out of it.

[quote name='shrike4242']So the non-SE version is DD 5.1 and the SE is TrueHD audio? Lovely.

One more reason to figure out what's on the BB "exclusive" version.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='shrike4242']Here's the Blu-Ray.com thread about it:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/blu-ray-movies-north-america/158651-red-january-25th.html

Appears the non-SE version of the movie is a single-layer BD25 disc, where the SE is a dual-layer BD50 disc. Apparently the reason the special features are gone and the audio is DD 5.1 only. Last couple of pages in the thread discuss it.

Also, since this is a Target weekly ad flier price, you can raincheck it at Target if your Target store runs out of it.[/QUOTE]

Yup..boycott this version. Although I'm sure most of the uninformed will not care and go for the cheaper price tag.
I don't really want to see this become more commonplace.

[quote name='integrafied1']Yup..boycott this version. Although I'm sure most of the uninformed will not care and go for the cheaper price tag.
I don't really want to see this become more commonplace.[/QUOTE]Agreed. The only time I pick up BluRay titles that have DD 5.1 sound is when that's the only option, which normally are just Warner Brothers-produced TV shows, such as Chuck, Terminator: TSSC and the like, and the occasional older movie.

Does anyone know if the comic in the best buy exclusive is the full comic that the movie was based on or only some small single-issue excerpt from it?

The fact that Best Buy is listing 3 versions on their site really makes me think that their "exclusive" edition is the gimped version + DVD + comic.

A lot of folks don't have receivers or tvs that will decode Lossless audio anyway, just don't buy it if you do and it's important to you. Not sure what you are boycotting since there are other versions that the "informed" can pick up if it is important to them.

Just saying.

[quote name='Vacabck']A lot of folks don't have receivers or tvs that will decode Lossless audio anyway, just don't buy it if you do and it's important to you. Not sure what you are boycotting since there are other versions that the "informed" can pick up if it is important to them.

Just saying.[/QUOTE]And for those of us that do have receivers that do lossless audio, there's no reason why we should be "forced" to pay more money for something that shouldn't part of the difference between a "special edition" and a "normal" edition. Any BD title should have lossless audio at this stage of the game, regardless of the source audio's number of channels. The player will downsample it to DD 5.1 if there's no support for lossless, though the reverse won't happen.

It's a ridiculous thing to split versions over, when there's plenty of other ways to do it, such as 3D BD/DVD/DC additions, special features and the like.

EDIT: Amazon updated the title to now read "Red [Movie-Only Edition], so they now have an out when people complain about not getting any special features and the like.

Damn. I'm glad you guys pointed out the audio issue. I was sold on this price until I read that. I can wait for the 7.1 version. Thanks.

This looked like a fun movie. However, with my backlog, and even at 12.99, it's gonna have to be a pass. By the time I'd get around to it it'll be had for that price. Got A-Team for 12.99 round Christmas and still not watched.

Wow, no lossless audio in this stripped down version, that is ridiculous. Very similar to what the studios have been doing with Netflix and redbox releases - giving bare bones "movie only" versions to them with special features disabled...you click on any special features and it spits up a message "if you want the special features, purchase the BluRay or DVD".

Meh. I will try for a very YMMV pricematch of the Target $13 price on the S.E. at WalMart or Best Buy, but I won't be holding my breath.

Been waiting for this drop. Don't care for the special features on this so this'll be an order for me.

[quote name='karkyco']Wow, no lossless audio in this stripped down version, that is ridiculous. Very similar to what the studios have been doing with Netflix and redbox releases - giving bare bones "movie only" versions to them with special features disabled...you click on any special features and it spits up a message "if you want the special features, purchase the BluRay or DVD".

Meh. I will try for a very YMMV pricematch of the Target $13 price on the S.E. at WalMart or Best Buy, but I won't be holding my breath.[/QUOTE]

Interesting observation. This may be the "for sale" version of the rental only. The studios can just print up extras and increase their profit margin.

I used the Target ad to PM the Special Edition at Walmart this morning. It showed the SE in the ad, so it worked out well, no questions asked.

LOL I actually got the S.E. at Target for the $13 bare bones Blu price. They had the $13 tag in front of the S.E. version, so I showed the guy in electronics and he gave it to me at $13 no problem.

[quote name='shrike4242']And for those of us that do have receivers that do lossless audio, there's no reason why we should be "forced" to pay more money for something that shouldn't part of the difference between a "special edition" and a "normal" edition. Any BD title should have lossless audio at this stage of the game, regardless of the source audio's number of channels. The player will downsample it to DD 5.1 if there's no support for lossless, though the reverse won't happen.

It's a ridiculous thing to split versions over, when there's plenty of other ways to do it, such as 3D BD/DVD/DC additions, special features and the like.

EDIT: Amazon updated the title to now read "Red [Movie-Only Edition], so they now have an out when people complain about not getting any special features and the like.[/QUOTE]

Just because it can fit on the disc doesn't mean that they have to put it on there. Face it, Blu Ray players are hitting DvD player prices so more people can afford them, people that don't necessarily have a home theater systems, so they don't need it. Can you blame the film companies for trying to make an extra buck anyway they can in this day of filesharing?

I rarely have time for extras, so I would almost prefer a cheaper option for no extras, but I do have a home theater setup so I would prefer to have the lossless audio, and I would be willing to pay a different price for that than what someone else does for a different version. More choices equal better options for the public in general as long as the public is knowledgeable about what they want and are getting.

I picked up the Best Buy exclusive edition...its DTS sound, and its a two sided disc...one side :br: the other side :dvd:.

They didn't have the SE at my store, only the Best Buy exclusive and the barebones. The Best Buy exclusive does show it has special features on the back of the box though.

[quote name='Vacabck']Just because it can fit on the disc doesn't mean that they have to put it on there. Face it, Blu Ray players are hitting DvD player prices so more people can afford them, people that don't necessarily have a home theater systems, so they don't need it. Can you blame the film companies for trying to make an extra buck anyway they can in this day of filesharing?

I rarely have time for extras, so I would almost prefer a cheaper option for no extras, but I do have a home theater setup so I would prefer to have the lossless audio, and I would be willing to pay a different price for that than what someone else does for a different version. More choices equal better options for the public in general as long as the public is knowledgeable about what they want and are getting.[/QUOTE]Extras on the disc is one thing, so if they want to put a SE version of it with extras and the like, that's fine. Not including lossless audio on a BD disc is inexcusable for 2011, regardless of the player. Any player will handle the audio as it sees fit to match its outputs.

I don't care that BD players are approaching DVD player pricing, there's no excuse to skimp on lossless audio for any BD title. I don't like it when I have to get it on discs that give me no option for it, though when it would potentially cost me additional money to get it in a SE version, that's not something that makes any sense.

Skip on the extras, that's fine, though don't skip on the audio. BD50 discs in the quantities that studios are buying them, I can't imagine it would be any more than under a dollar's cost to go with a BD50 versus a BD25, plus stick lossless audio on the disc.

Anyone who's debating the $20 BB exclusive version should get it this week, as it goes up to $25 next week, so the posting of next week's ad says.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I picked up the Best Buy exclusive edition...its DTS sound, and its a two sided disc...one side :br: the other side :dvd:.

They didn't have the SE at my store, only the Best Buy exclusive and the barebones. The Best Buy exclusive does show it has special features on the back of the box though.[/QUOTE]

Did you get the full comic (128 pages) bundled with the exclusive? I haven't heard anything about the comic it includes yet, if it even exists.

[quote name='tossup']Did you get the full comic (128 pages) bundled with the exclusive? I haven't heard anything about the comic it includes yet, if it even exists.[/QUOTE]

The comic is a small 34pg comic that fits inside the case

The comic is about Marvin
story by : Jon & Erich Hoeber
script by: Erich Hoeber
Art by: Diego Olmos

Has a Very Glossy thick cover that is very nice

Also the bestbuy version also includes a code to get a free movie ticket up to $12 for Drive Angry

I can't believe there's so many variant releases for this movie of all ones. Talk about unnecessary.

[quote name='dg7md']I can't believe there's so many variant releases for this movie of all ones. Talk about unnecessary.[/QUOTE]

There's 3, haha.

The Dark Knight had more then double that, Inception has quite a few. I can find more examples. :p

[quote name='Amblix']There's 3, haha.

The Dark Knight had more then double that, Inception has quite a few. I can find more examples. :p[/QUOTE]

Those didn't vary in terms of PQ and AQ, though, just special features and items included.

[quote name='Amblix']There's 3, haha.

The Dark Knight had more then double that, Inception has quite a few. I can find more examples. :p[/QUOTE]

Inception and Dark Knight are critically acclaimed features that will stand the test of time.

This is just a mediocre action movie with an ensemble cast that has a bunch of AQ/PQ mishaps per version. It's just really weird that this movie would spawn so many variations.

Picked it up off of amazon for my Dad. I really enjoyed this movie. If the special edition goes down to $15 I will probably pick it up for myself.

I used the Target ad to PM the Special Edition at Walmart this morning. It showed the SE in the ad. Took both copies of the movie to the cashier and asked her if I could PM the Special Edition and (after pointing out the Ad say both Bluray and DVD since DVD is pictured) she said I could get either at that price. Grabbed the Special Edition ;)

bread's done
Back