Red Faction: Guerilla MP Beta - Now Available to all IGN members

[quote name='zewone']Online party system has been perfect for me.

X and Pimp's connection sucks _____.[/quote]Lies!

Your stank connection is rubbing off on me, probably :cool:

[quote name='zewone']Online party system has been perfect for me.

X and Pimp's connection sucks _____.[/QUOTE]

Also, don't talk about X like that. He is a good friend of mine. :nottalking:

( Anyone remember what CAG i'm making fun of?)

And for a game touting destructibility, I am seeing nothing near the level of Battlefield: Bad Company. What exactly is destructible? Only select walls using the Rhino pack? Lame.

Update: Eh, I don't see how their destructibility is as good or better than what's featured in BFBC.

I do like having more than a dozen remote grenades, though. That's a plus.

However, the splash updates get lost during the action. I don't like how they handled that part of the game.

Update 2: The destructibility is more in-depth than BFBC. So, that's a plus. However, the overall feel of the game is a bit too similar to Lost Planet for my tastes.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='chasemurata']And for a game touting destructibility, I am seeing nothing near the level of Battlefield: Bad Company. What exactly is destructible? Only select walls using the Rhino pack? Lame.[/quote]

use ur sledge hammer

[quote name='Nelo Ice']use ur sledge hammer[/quote]

Yes, I updated above.

While one could decimate a building down to rubble, for Red Faction's gameplay, I don't see how that would be helpful. Sure, it's there, but it seems more strategic to just run around and shoot someone than destroy the wall between you two. Of course, this is because this game plays like Lost Planet. If it were more tactical, the destructibility would be put to better use.

[quote name='chasemurata']Yes, I updated above.

While one could decimate a building down to rubble, for Red Faction's gameplay, I don't see how that would be helpful. Sure, it's there, but it seems more strategic to just run around and shoot someone than destroy the wall between you two. Of course, this is because this game plays like Lost Planet. If it were more tactical, the destructibility would be put to better use.[/quote]

This isn't exactly true. I can't count the number of times I've Rhino'd an unsuspecting person through a building while they think they're safe or used the concussion on them through a wall. I've had a few people actually know that I'm hiding behind a wall or know that I'm on the opposite side they are on and they will actually sledgehammer me through the wall. The environments may not be as destructible as in BF:BC, but I think that they are as destructible as they need to be.

I can agree with the similarities to Lost Planet, but this is way better. I feel compelled to play this for more than 20 minutes.

jus go to fileplanet.com click on red faction beta they give you a fracking beta code just redeem it on the dashboard im downloading it now, this was so easy, see you online fellas

[quote name='boricuafalcon']jus go to fileplanet.com click on red faction beta they give you a fracking beta code just redeem it on the dashboard im downloading it now, this was so easy, see you online fellas[/quote]
Unfortunately they don't believe that I'm in the USA, and if I go through a proxy I never get a code :(

EDIT: Finally, after trying a few proxies, I found a working one. I hate Comcast.

[quote name='Trakan']This isn't exactly true. I can't count the number of times I've Rhino'd an unsuspecting person through a building while they think they're safe or used the concussion on them through a wall. I've had a few people actually know that I'm hiding behind a wall or know that I'm on the opposite side they are on and they will actually sledgehammer me through the wall. The environments may not be as destructible as in BF:BC, but I think that they are as destructible as they need to be.

I can agree with the similarities to Lost Planet, but this is way better. I feel compelled to play this for more than 20 minutes.[/quote]

Interesting. I will have to try that move, Trakan (Rhino-ing through a wall at a person).

Oh, and Red Faction: Guerilla's multiplayer has been tons more fun than Lost Planet. Praise Jericho they didn't add an "evasive dodge roll" in the game. If they added that move, I wouldn't even consider buying the game.

I can't say I really enjoyed playing it so far, maybe it's because in the 3 out of 5 games I played there were little kids on my team which was pretty bad, or maybe because I really had no idea at all what to do for the objective, and I really didn't know what some of the weapons did. I'll probably try it again sometime but for now I can't say I'm looking forward to this game coming out anymore.

I just played my first 2 games. The first was standard deathmatch, and the second involved capture points. In the second, i ran into Chase Murata on the other team and we concluded the game by simultaneously killing each other. That was pretty sweet.

I'm actually halfway decent from what I've played so far, getting 1st and 2nd place on my team in kills. My experience with 3rd person shooters is limited to Gears. I had never played a RF game, but I'm really, really liking the game so far, though. Seems like a buy.

Game doesn't take much skill, if you really want to dominate get a jetpack and jump up to a high out of reach place and your pretty much set until you run out of ammo.

[quote name='CYRiX']Game doesn't take much skill, if you really want to dominate get a jetpack and jump up to a high out of reach place and your pretty much set until you run out of ammo.[/QUOTE]
Seems like you already have a code. I hope the one I gave you is for a friend

[quote name='Matt Young']I just played my first 2 games. The first was standard deathmatch, and the second involved capture points. In the second, i ran into Chase Murata on the other team and we concluded the game by simultaneously killing each other. That was pretty sweet.

I'm actually halfway decent from what I've played so far, getting 1st and 2nd place on my team in kills. My experience with 3rd person shooters is limited to Gears. I had never played a RF game, but I'm really, really liking the game so far, though. Seems like a buy.[/quote]

I was ninja and didn't expect to see anyone I knew. However, it was entertaining to try to hunt you down.

A positive is how buildings can be demolished. It is a useful feature that some games should emulate. For instance, I collapsed a building onto an opponent; which killed them. That was neat. Another time, I used a sledgehammer to break through a wall and clobber another opponent. Also neat.

The pack gimmick is unique and each pack functions to what its name would have you think. The Rhino pack allows you to charge through walls and into foes; sending them flying. The Jet pack's primary function is to reach high places and snipe opponents. Otherwise, you're a sitting-- err, floating duck. A clay pigeon to be picked off by someone's Zapper. I found enjoyment equipping the Concussion pack, enabling its feature which knocks an opponent around, and finishing them off Shao Kahn style with the sledgehammer.

Now, the beta was not without its flaws. The objective in the objective mode, repairing various bases, does not seem compelling enough to work towards. In small games, like four-on-four games, it made more sense to ignore playing maintenance and simply kill the opponents. This way, you earn more experience points, and die far less.

Also, I do not like how Volition, Inc. chose to handle experience and points. The experience system reminds me of Grand Theft Auto 4's multiplayer in that it's simple and useless. There is nothing rewarding about getting a new, higher number. Why am I even earning experience points when there are no rewards? It is good this is a beta test and not a demo.

The game also lacked sound. It would be nice to hear footsteps. Perhaps catchphrases associated with certain actions, like how one's troopers yell out "Reloading" or "Frag out" in Call of Duty 4. It would add voice to a pretty bland atmosphere. Surely, this isn't a game about mute warfare.

What really bothered me is how Volition, Inc. chose to handle the post-match screen and statistics. So far, at least. Just to acknowledge that I recognize this is a beta test. It seems the game only keeps track of experience points, deaths, and kills. That's it. No record keeping or acknowledgment of assists, head shots (the "user used the zoom function" icon does not count), or any other special statistics (like Battlefield: Bad Company's various bonuses; Savior bonus, etc.). Surely they could at least acknowledge and give points for assists. What year is this, 1999?

Once again, I recognize how this is simple a beta test. Positive and negative aspects may be altered, added, or removed. This is simply a summary of my first-impressions.

I would love to get a code but it seems that as soon as it became available for everyone they closed it.... Kinda sucks

Now I heard people can give codes away that area already in the beta? That true if so anyone have a spare?

the game is pretty bad. the graphics aren't good and the animations are awkward. the only positives are the rhino pack and the fire fx.
i think this beta might have hurt this game more than help it. they should have left it at the videos. the vids are more impressive than the actual game.

Umm yeah no it's not.

Actually I think it realizes I am coming from a North American IP hmmm would anyone in the UK help me with getting a code?

I actually found it to be pretty fun. I most likely won't be buying it amongst Gears 2 and Call of Duty 5, but I'd say the beta improved my chances of ever getting it.

bread's done
Back