Red Faction Guerrilla (PC) $5 - Direct2Drive Deal of the Week

[quote name='Sylvanus']I've tried with 3 different browsers to make a purchase. It's not happening. What the heck!?[/QUOTE]

Make sure you aren't getting charged each time you try to make the purchase. This happened to me during their anniversary sale and I got charged 4 different times and never received anything. I contacted their "customer support" (which totally blows) and they were not helpful. I had to call my bank and have them cancel payment. Just a heads up for all of you having difficulties on D2D.

I got it downloaded, installed, signed into GFWL and patched.

Too bad I'm trying to finish Mass Effect so I can move on to Mass Effect 2 right now. No time for Red Faction.

Just a warning... the PC version has quite a few issues. Many people experience crashing issues, frame rate issues (even on high end PCs), and it's got the speed-up issue that is also found in Saints Row 2 PC. As well as quite a few other problems.

With the speed-up issue, the game will basically runs about 1.5 times faster than it is supposed to. It seems to affect almost everyone on Windows 7, and a few people on other OSs.

I am on a pretty high end Windows 7 computer, and I experience all of the issues I mentioned. I regret getting the PC version of this game. Though, it's only $5, so you may be able to look past the problems.

They have promised a second patch, so hopefully it will fix a lot of the issues.

[quote name='Hoffer']I got it downloaded, installed, signed into GFWL and patched.

Too bad I'm trying to finish Mass Effect so I can move on to Mass Effect 2 right now. No time for Red Faction.[/QUOTE]

Luck you, I just logged in GFWL w/my gamer tag and tells me there is an update, but
it crashes to desktop every single time it tries to update

[quote name='X-GOUKI']Luck you, I just logged in GFWL w/my gamer tag and tells me there is an update, but
it crashes to desktop every single time it tries to update[/QUOTE]

You can manually install the patch here

[quote name='Cheadyp']You can manually install the patch here[/QUOTE]

Thank You! It Worked!
You are a gentleman and scholar.

Well, I take back what I said. Apparently, after I downloaded RFG and activated it with the same email I use for Impulse, it did indeed allow me to register it through their software. So, it does work it appears, you just need to activate the D2D copy first for some reason. My apologies for the misinformation previously, as I tried to register the key through Impulse without downloading first.

Would I be able to buy it on a different computer and come back to download it and play on my gaming computer?... I'm having no luck making anything show up in the cart, I think it is some SSL thing I might have rejected from IGN entertainment. I don't know how to fix it. :cry:

[quote name='slugboss']Would I be able to buy it on a different computer and come back to download it and play on my gaming computer?[/QUOTE]

Yes. Just log into your account, purchase, and download at the time/place of your choosing.

Wow, if I didn't already have this on 360, I'd probably get it. I'm more invested in Steam now, but for $5...

[quote name='gunm']Wow, if I didn't already have this on 360, I'd probably get it. I'm more invested in Steam now, but for $5...[/QUOTE]

same i want to but damn Steam >> D2D

Finally jumped in on the deal; had forgotten that I had $5 credit from the Christmas/End of Year promotions. Paid $0.25 through Paypal. Thanks, OP!

I bit before it gets too late. Honestly, the youtube video reminded me how awesome the game looked. From what I hear, play it on easy so you can get the most out of being a space asshole and destroying everything.

[quote name='Cheadyp']Just a warning... the PC version has quite a few issues. Many people experience crashing issues, frame rate issues (even on high end PCs), and it's got the speed-up issue that is also found in Saints Row 2 PC. As well as quite a few other problems.

With the speed-up issue, the game will basically runs about 1.5 times faster than it is supposed to. It seems to affect almost everyone on Windows 7, and a few people on other OSs.

I am on a pretty high end Windows 7 computer, and I experience all of the issues I mentioned. I regret getting the PC version of this game. Though, it's only $5, so you may be able to look past the problems.

They have promised a second patch, so hopefully it will fix a lot of the issues.[/QUOTE]

Has anyone who has played it experienced any of these problems, namely the frame rate ones?

Being able to register it to Impulse is a huge plus but I don't want to spend $5 on something that is a broken POS.

[quote name='animalspinners']Has anyone who has played it experienced any of these problems, namely the frame rate ones?

Being able to register it to Impulse is a huge plus but I don't want to spend $5 on something that is a broken POS.[/QUOTE]

yeah I got the framerate issues. its choppy when you destroy things.
So what I did was set it to the most basic graphic settings and it helped, but sometimes
it will freeze even though you are just walking around.
Now it maybe my PC ( amd X2 5200, 8800GTS, 2gb ram, xp pro) but then again I have no other issues w/other recent games.

hopefully there will be a new patch, because the game IS fun.

[quote name='sstcrush']Damn...If this was 360 I'd Shit my pants

but i prefer console Gaming personally[/QUOTE]

I prefer console for local multiplayer... computer for online... and from my understanding this game only has online multiplayer on the 360?

[quote name='X-GOUKI']yeah I got the framerate issues. its choppy when you destroy things.
So what I did was set it to the most basic graphic settings and it helped, but sometimes
it will freeze even though you are just walking around.
Now it maybe my PC ( amd X2 5200, 8800GTS, 2gb ram, xp pro) but then again I have no other issues w/other recent games.

hopefully there will be a new patch, because the game IS fun.[/QUOTE]

A few things you could try that work for some people:

-Once the game starts, open up task manager and go to the Processes tab. Right click on rfg.exe and go to Set Priority, and change the priority from Above Normal to Normal. You will have to do this every time you run the game.

-Try playing in windowed mode

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']I prefer console for local multiplayer... computer for online... and from my understanding this game only has online multiplayer on the 360?[/QUOTE]

What? That can't be true can it? That would be a deal breaker for me.

I got this for $7.50 at Target and didn't have any notable frame rate problems, but there was such a terrible audio bug - environmental sounds are louder than everything else, drowning out dialog and being generally annoying - I quit playing it. Too bad.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']I prefer console for local multiplayer... computer for online... and from my understanding this game only has online multiplayer on the 360?[/QUOTE]

This is not true. There is online multiplayer on the PC version.

[quote name='Cheadyp']This is not true. There is online multiplayer on the PC version.[/QUOTE]

Ah, I think my question was a bit unclear.

From what I read online it seems that on the 360 there is no local multiplayer (hooking up multiple controllers on one 360 to play with friends), only online multiplayer - can anyone with the 360 version confirm?

I usually go with the 360 version if I can do local multiplayer, PC if it is strictly 1 player on the 360.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Ah, I think my question was a bit unclear.

From what I read online it seems that on the 360 there is no local multiplayer (hooking up multiple controllers on one 360 to play with friends), only online multiplayer - can anyone with the 360 version confirm?

I usually go with the 360 version if I can do local multiplayer, PC if it is strictly 1 player on the 360.[/QUOTE]

Thats correct from what I remember , there was only some destruction mode where you passed the control to see who could do the most damage or something.

Just got it installed and was playing it for a bit. Pretty damn fun game. Was running the game in windowed mode cuz I heard it runs better, well anyway, butter smooth most of the time except when the physics and destruction get heavy but it's no big deal.

Had to manual patch it also, but so far it seems to be running pretty good.

I think i'll either wait for this to come on steam for $5 or just torrent it. none of my friends play this, so multiplayer wouldn't be as fun =/

Well I got it and it sure is entertaining. The only problems ive seen is that online multiplayer looks completely empty even with the sale going on, and that the game seems really fast, fast enough that I think its a bug. Runs very nicely on my rig thats a little over a year old.

[quote name='helluvagood']I think i'll either wait for this to come on steam for $5 or just torrent it. [/QUOTE]/facepalm

If you can't pay the same $5 price tag - less than a combo meal at a fast food place - to your preferred download service for this game, you're announcing you'd rather steal it?

You seem unclear on the purpose of CAG: We're here to find the best deals and lowest prices to PAY for games. Since nothing is cheaper than free, even $2 for something like the Freedom Force bundle deal appears to be too much for people like you. Is there a Free Ass Gamer site we can point this guy towards?

[quote name='helluvagood']I think i'll either wait for this to come on steam for $5 or just torrent it. none of my friends play this, so multiplayer wouldn't be as fun =/[/QUOTE]

GTFO if you would rather pirate a game than spend $5 fuckin' dollars on it! You gotta be kidding me. :wall:

As for the game, I loved it on 360 and will be picking it up later this week via this deal. Thanks OP!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='helluvagood']I think i'll either wait for this to come on steam for $5 or just torrent it. none of my friends play this, so multiplayer wouldn't be as fun =/[/QUOTE]

Hopefully you get your computer keylogged.

Is there a demo for this available anywhere? I did a quick Google search, but couldn't come up with anything.

I would love to pick this up for my laptop, but I know next to nothing about graphics cards, and how they compare to one another, so I'm not sure if it would run or not, even at the lowest settings.

I have a NVidia G 110M, if anyone could help me out here. It plays "Left 4 Dead" just fine on default settings, but that's the most recent thing I've played on this machine, so, I'm really not sure. Any help would be much appreciated.

Wow this game really shines on PC, I dont even have that nice a graphics card, but the explosions look phenomenal. At least wrecking mode runs great, hopefully the game runs smoothly.

[quote name='JUDOHAWK']It probably won't run, that's a very low end GPU.[/QUOTE]
Ah, fair enough. I thought as much.

Thanks for the reply, though. :D

[quote name='volt1up']http://cyri.systemrequirementslab.com/srtest/[/QUOTE]
Hahaha, while I appreciate your help (and I'll certainly use this in the future), this site doesn't seem to have Red Faction Guerrilla. Are there any games with more-or-less similar specs?

(Again, I apologize for my ignorance. I'm really new to PC gaming as a whole)

[quote name='Hao']Hahaha, while I appreciate your help (and I'll certainly use this in the future), this site doesn't seem to have Red Faction Guerrilla. Are there any games with more-or-less similar specs?

(Again, I apologize for my ignorance. I'm really new to PC gaming as a whole)[/QUOTE]

oops sorry, I thought I had used that site to test my own pc, hmm.

srlab isn't a very reliable place to test, because it doesn't take into account GPUs very well. For instance, a higher series card, that might be lower end than a lower series card. But in this case the lower series card would be better.

Your best bet to find out how something will run is to ask someone, alot of people including myself have no problem with that at all.

Looking at that chip, I guess it's comparable to an 8500gsM or so. Chances are you could start the game, but I don't know exactly how playable it is, I certainly wouldn't want you to buy the game, then find out it's hardly playable.

Should also add a thing about srlab, and that's about CPUs.

It doesn't compare the different chips very well either. For instance let's take an E5200 clocked at 1.8ghz. (way below the stock speed, but whatever) It would beat the pants off of a Pentium IV clocked at 3ghz. Srlab relies alot on CPU clock speed only, but you can't compare the different architectures.

I got Red Faction on Monday and I've attempted to install it on my Win7 Pro 64 machine, but no joy. After verifying the file size and unpacking the zip, I click on setup.exe and I get a box that simply has "1158:"

Only one other person on the support forum had that problem, but there was no answer to the problem.

This was a fantastic purchase. It really is blowing away my expectations... the destruction is just too fun :) and I dig the whole guerrilla tactics gameplay.

Tried to do some matchmaking with a friend in the evening with no success, so it's unfortunate there's isn't much of an online community anymore, but I'll just continue thoroughly enjoying the Singleplayer in the meantime.

bread's done
Back