Red Light on Power Block

GaryZero

CAGiversary!
Hi all, Well I just got a new 360 error but so far it was something I didn't need to send the 360 in for. Anyway this never happened before and I was wondering if it had anything to do with the system update.

My son was playing the 360 last night and he said it locked up and then shutdown. Wouldn't start back up. I checked for some weird reason to see if it came unplugged; from maybe our cat. Saw a mysterious red light shining out on the power source, unplugged it and plugged back in; the light then changed to yellow and then green when on. Yellow when off.

Checked with Microsoft and it sounded to me like it overheated and as a safety measure turned itself off. Never happened till I applied the update so got me thinking that maybe the update is the culprit?

Curious to see if this has happened to anyone else. I have the latest arcade just before the design change. This is my 4th 360, I had hoped it would last till something newer than a 360 would come out.

Thanks for reading this!

[quote name='GaryZero']Hi all, Well I just got a new 360 error but so far it was something I didn't need to send the 360 in for. Anyway this never happened before and I was wondering if it had anything to do with the system update.

My son was playing the 360 last night and he said it locked up and then shutdown. Wouldn't start back up. I checked for some weird reason to see if it came unplugged; from maybe our cat. Saw a mysterious red light shining out on the power source, unplugged it and plugged back in; the light then changed to yellow and then green when on. Yellow when off.

Checked with Microsoft and it sounded to me like it overheated and as a safety measure turned itself off. Never happened till I applied the update so got me thinking that maybe the update is the culprit?

Curious to see if this has happened to anyone else. I have the latest arcade just before the design change. This is my 4th 360, I had hoped it would last till something newer than a 360 would come out.

Thanks for reading this![/QUOTE]
Sometimes an electrical surge can trip the fault protector in the power supply. I've had this happen with the older model on more than one occasion. What you did was fine (unplugging it and replugging) and it should be fine, but I'd keep an eye on it.

Just out of curiosity what game was your son playing that night when it shut down? Some of these game are processor/juice hogs.

It was Fallout 3, he started playing after me. He tends to play 4 or 5 hours no breaks but this never happened in the 5 years we've been playing. Just glad it wasn't a system killer. :)

bread's done
Back