Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45 - $4.99 on Steam, this weekend only

CoffeeEdge

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
header.jpg

$4.99 on Steam, this weekend only (now until early Monday morning). Link:
http://steampowered.com/v/index.php?area=app&AppId=1200

I love these Steam weekend sales. I can hardly turn down anything for $5, and when it's a great game like this, you've gotta bite.

For anyone unfamiliar with this game, a little background:
Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45 is a game which started out as a UT2003 mod, but eventually evolved into a full, stand-alone retail game after the original mod won the first Nvidia-sponsored "Make Something Unreal" contest (the prize of which was a million bucks, and an Unreal Engine license, which they used to make the retail version). Don't go in expecting Medal of Honor or Call of Duty; RO is almost certainly the most realistic WWII game on the market. Realistic ballistics (flight time, bullet drop, etc) and weapon recoil, manual reloading, no crosshairs, no ammo or health displays, no radar, brutal damage modeling, et cetera. The simulation of character movement is also especially detailed and realistic for an FPS, from running around, down to breathing and the like. And no, you can't drive a tank (which don't turn on dimes in this game), and command the cannon at the same time. This ain't Battlefield. It's not for everyone, but if you give it a chance, it's a great change of pace from pretty much every other FPS on the market. I wholly recommend at least trying it.

Vids, submitted for your approval:

[media]http://youtube.com/watch?v=DWr8tfB0Rqs[/media]
[media]http://youtube.com/watch?v=4w6RaX7heGc[/media]

Just a heads-up to people thinking about buying this:

This game is big on realism, if you're looking for a run-and-gun, one-guy-takes-everyone-else-out CoD style game you will hate this. There is a STEEP learning curve...I've been playing Red Orchestra for years and I'm still not that great.

Really well-done and fun as hell with a team that actually works together, but it is definitely a love it or hate it game. Personally I really enjoyed it.

For five bucks though I suppose you can't go wrong.

Yeah, this game is brutal. You have to advance slowly, rely on ambushes, and take time to aim. Run 'n gun this game is not.

Thanks OP. I'll be biting for $5.

Wow.. been wanting to buy this game, and for $5, I'll have to bit. Thanks op!

How is the community for this game..? Still a lot of active servers?

Two great deals are available this weekend on Steam.

First up is Eve Online for just $9.99. This expansive sci-fi MMORPG has earned numerous awards from the gaming press including the 2007 MMRPG.com "Best Overall Game" award.

Secondly, the makers of Red Orchestra are showcasing Darkest Hour, a brand new mod for the WWII online action game. To encourage folks to check out Darkest Hour, Red Orchestra and other RO mods, Red Orchestra is on sale for just $4.99.

Both offers end Monday, June 9th.
Don't think i'll be buying Eve Online, but Red Orchestra might be good for $5 :p
enjoy!

EDIT: i have a few guest passes for Red Orchestra if anybody would be interested :)
lets you play full game for 2 or 3 days i think

i will definitly be picking up RO i remember the mod version on unreal tournament which was very nice, 5$ is equivlant to a combo meal at KFC these days so why not.:bouncy:

My friend has been getting me to get on EVE, so for $9.99 I get the game and don't have to pay the monthly fee? I say that because I could've swarn he said it's free to play offline?

[quote name='Reck_Havoc']Wow.. been wanting to buy this game, and for $5, I'll have to bit. Thanks op!

How is the community for this game..? Still a lot of active servers?[/QUOTE]

It's not big but last time I checked it was a smaller but very dedicated group of players. This sale will obviously bring in a lot of new players...most will probably give up on it, but if even 5% of the people who are going to buy it stick with it, it'll increase the community size significantly.

[quote name='VipFREAK']My friend has been getting me to get on EVE, so for $9.99 I get the game and don't have to pay the monthly fee? I say that because I could've swarn he said it's free to play offline?[/quote]

first month is free when you buy it,
but afterwards it is subscription based

[quote name='VipFREAK']My friend has been getting me to get on EVE, so for $9.99 I get the game and don't have to pay the monthly fee? I say that because I could've swarn he said it's free to play offline?[/QUOTE]

You can't play it offline, actually. It's online-only, so you need to subscribe.

Done. Enjoyed it immensely as the anti-Day of Defeat back in the days before Steam. Thanks for the heads-up OP.

[quote name='Vegan']Is Red Orchestra a multi-player only game? Or is there a single-player campaign?[/quote]

You can practice in "bot matches" but of course the bots blow and you can usually just go up to them and pistol wip their face literally. :lol:

Good for target practicing but nothing more.

[quote name='Pajama_Man']You can practice in "bot matches" but of course the bots blow and you can usually just go up to them and pistol wip their face literally. :lol:

Good for target practicing but nothing more.[/quote]

So it's probably not very appealing to someone who's not big on multiplayer FPS gaming? I'm the type that plays a game with the intention of "finishing" it, so I never got into the whole deathmatch/CTF thing.

It's very satisfying when you get a kill in this game, cause you'll know it won't be because you were "spraying and praying".

$5 is now the cheapest I've ever seen this game. I've seen it for $10 elsewhere, but never $5.

For those on the fence - go ahead and bite. There is a rather steep learning curve, so the first few hours may be aggravating, but it soon becomes an engrossing and rewarding WWII shooter.

[quote name='stimutax']For those on the fence - go ahead and bite. There is a rather steep learning curve, so the first few hours may be aggravating, but it soon becomes an engrossing and rewarding WWII shooter.[/QUOTE]
Too late, it was a weekend deal. Price is $20 again.

bread's done
Back