Red Star finally released!

jalu6

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
See: Under the Radar.

I completely forgot about this game for the last two years. I remember playing an Xbox demo of it a while back, but hearing that Acclaim went under and it would never see the light of day.

So when I was cruising 1up today, I saw a review. They give it a 7.5 and call it a "great deal" considering its only $20. I can't believe no one on this board has mentioned this yet or I've seen nothing about it.

I'll be picking this up tomorrow on my lunch, anyone with me?

Here's a link to the 1up review.

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3158968&sec=REVIEWS

Gamespot with an 8.1

http://tinyurl.com/2of3lr

I knew this and Raiden 3 were coming out, but I didnt know much about Red Star. I ordered Raiden yesterday. After reading about Red Star at the link you provided, I just ordered it. :D

I have a feeling that these last few non movie license ps2 games are gonna become very sought after. I have no qualms about picking this up right away.

I got this in the mail yesterday from an old, old, old CDUniverse preorder ($13). Haven't had the chance to pop it in, but I'm glad it finally arrived.

Well, I stopped at a TRU, Gamecrazy and two EBs and not one store claimed to have ever received the game. I guess I'll have to order it online.

I want to check this out, it looks pretty interesting. Any place where I can score it for a cheapy price?

[quote name='Blackout542']I want to check this out, it looks pretty interesting. Any place where I can score it for a cheapy price?[/quote]

Well it's $20 MSRP, so yeah. The cheapest place found so far that I'm aware of is CDUniverse. Though that's only if you use google checkout and it'll bring it to about $15 after shipping.

Anyways, I've played about seven chapters and it's pretty good. A tad on the easy side early on but it's progressively getting more and more difficult. Can't wait to hit later levels and play this game in co-op when I have company over this weekend.

I think that you can get it at Gamefly for less than retail. I should get it in the mail today and if I like it, I'll buy it. Gamefly shows the price at $14.xx. But that's also with my %10 discount that I get with Gamefly.

Got it today from CDuniverse.

agreed-- it's pretty awesome.

hey, when I first played the original Ninja Gaiden demo on the xbox, a red star demo came with it. now today, I get the Ninja Gaiden Sigma demo, and red star with it.

coincidence? yep.

By the way, if you're a fan of the comic? Related only tangentially. Just take it that your beloved Magic Communist epic is a playground for an excellent old-school action game.

Also, check the comic if the idea of addressing someone as "Comrade Sorceress" sounds cool, or that the URRS soldiers considered getting their cigarettes lit from said sorceresses good luck.

A buddy of mine who used to work at Tips & Tricks worked on the game, so I always wanted to play it. Not even the EB near me has had a copy. I finally got it from http://www.deepdiscount.com/ which surprisingly has it -- though they say they won't have it in until May 10th or some junk. Also splurged and ordered CDs I didn't already have by Primus, Dead Kennedys, and Butthole Surfers. And here I used to just go to them for DVDs.

Nice music selection. =)

[quote name='ViolentLee']A buddy of mine who used to work at Tips & Tricks worked on the game, so I always wanted to play it. Not even the EB near me has had a copy. I finally got it from http://www.deepdiscount.com/ which surprisingly has it -- though they say they won't have it in until May 10th or some junk. Also splurged and ordered CDs I didn't already have by Primus, Dead Kennedys, and Butthole Surfers. And here I used to just go to them for DVDs.[/quote]

[quote name='Puffa469']Nice music selection. =)[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Figured I needed to actually hear DK's Too Drunk to fuck since it's at karaoke. Always been a Surfers fan, but don't have what's considered their best album. And finally, my wife hates Primus, but since I've only heard John the Fisherman on Guitar Heroes II and I mostly have tapes of them, I thought it was time to upgrade.

Thanks for the CDUniverse link. I knew saving that $10 GCO bonus for a rainy day would come in handy.

$12.73 shipped. (I got the cheapest shipping because finals start Thursday and the last thing I need is another game to play :p)

Just picked it up, can't wait to try it out. 9 out of the 72 GameStop stores within 50 miles of me actually had this game in stock, it looks like this one is going to have a very limited release, you guys should pick it up while you can.

This game is a LOT of fun. Adding in some beat-em-up gameplay to a shooter is a great idea and really breathes some life into two dying genres.

Two of my local gamestops got shipments of two copies in lately, so i'd check there if you want to get this one. It's going to be hard to find, with about 2 out of 12 milwaukee stores having it in stock.

Like RollingSkull and Apossum said, Red Star is friggin' fantastic. It reminds me of games like Loaded, Reloaded, and Smash TV - with traditional side scrolling brawler elements.

I'd be interested to know the exact print run of the game; I'd bet it's 10,000 or less.

Also, for those interested, you can get copies of the game signed by series creator Christian Gosset. They also have two zippo style Red Star lighters and some pretty cool looking mini busts/maquettes of Kyuzo and Maya.

Just go to http://www.archangel-studios.com/comics/redstar/ and click on the "Red Store" link. I'm tempted to double dip on the game to get a signed copy.

Had to go all the way to Tampa to get a copy of the game (was already there anyways though), hope it's worth it!

Sounds like it should be.

Still waiting for mine to be delivered from DeepDiscount. My CDs have shipped, though. I wonder if the first shipment of this game was miniscule, so it's taking time to resupply.

Thanks for the heads up, Excalibur. I didn't jump on the good deals available for this, so I'll buy it from their official store.

At least I get an autograph out of it.

Edit: Oh, and I'm not sure if this has already been posted. But GameSpot gave Red Star an 8.1: http://tinyurl.com/2of3lr not bad for a game that's several years old, and only $20.00 bucks.

Okay I kind of went into this game expecting something kinda mediocre, but it's actually really fun! it even made my girlfriend want to buy a copy. the controls are pretty responsive too.

The game is awesome... the melee system is surpringsly in depth and the boss battles all feel like they were ripped out of a shmup =O

AND it runs in progressive scan!

This game reminds me a little of Cannon Spike (Dreamcast), although this one has a lot more strategy and depth. It starts out really slow/easy, throwing one type of enemy at you, at a time. It gradually ramps up in difficulty. When you start fighting 3, 4 different enemy types at once, and avoiding hundreds of bullets from a boss and crisscrossing lasers, everything gets really intense.

I would consider this a niche title, but what it does, it does really well.

Yes, as Anderson indicated, signed copies are at the red star store, still twenty bucks. Online stores are starting to sell out, so I don't imagine those will last long.

Amazing ip, it's a real shame the comic wasn't a bigger hit.

Thanks for the link, yukine, I updated the OP. Now if IGN would just stop reviewing Spiderman 3 we may see a review for this game.

Finally got mine in from Amazon over the weekend. Played the first 8 levels in co-op and am having a great time.

I was fortunate enough to score a sealed copy at EB. Really like it so far, and look forward to playing through with all the characters.

Just picked it up from CDUniverse for $15, after Google. It's sold out at deepdiscount, Amazon only has some knob selling it for $39.95, and the shipping from the Red Star store pushes the price up to almost $30. It's not in stock anywhere in Manhattan that I can find (EB/GS/Circuit City/Best Buy), and the websites for the places that are sold out list it as "No more will be stocked." So in short ... if you want this game and you haven't picked it up, do so NOW.

[quote name='trq']Just picked it up from CDUniverse for $15, after Google. It's sold out at deepdiscount, Amazon only has some knob selling it for $39.95, and the shipping from the Red Star store pushes the price up to almost $30. It's not in stock anywhere in Manhattan that I can find (EB/GS/Circuit City/Best Buy), and the websites for the places that are sold out list it as "No more will be stocked." So in short ... if you want this game and you haven't picked it up, do so NOW.[/quote]
You scared the hell out of me, so I placed my order jsut now. =\ Crazy how fast this game was gobbled up.

Looks like buy.com has it in stock right now, but it also says, "Very few left In Stock! Order soon -- product may sell out."

This Item is Shakin'
Today's Rank: 9
Yesterday's Rank: 32

$18.99
$4.40 shipping

$23.39 (or $13.39 after GCO).

got mine in from gamestop finally. after everything i've read from this thread, i'm pretty stoked on finally giving it a shot later tonight.

[quote name='lanzarlaluna']You scared the hell out of me, so I placed my order jsut now. =\ Crazy how fast this game was gobbled up.[/QUOTE]

Glad to be of service. I had been procrastinating on getting the game, but once I started to actually look for it, I realized how close I might have been to getting screwed, so I thought I'd sound the alarm. I'll feel like a jackass if I find a dumpster full of copies on discount in the near future, but I think squeezing the trigger now is the smart move.

For everyone who wants it but can't find it, Gamestop.com never went out of stock on this game, use SAVER for free shipping and you just pay the tax, it's like getting it in the store without the hassle.

[quote name='Roufuss']For everyone who wants it but can't find it, Gamestop.com never went out of stock on this game, use SAVER for free shipping and you just pay the tax, it's like getting it in the store without the hassle.[/QUOTE]

Seriously, it was listed as "Backordered" when I went to buy it. That was the first place I looked.

I'm not crazy! Ya gotta believe me, Doc!

Red Star is in stock at Ebgames/Gamestop. For a $20 budget title, this sounds like it is worth it. I loved the Xbox version demo I played over 2 years ago. I do wish it came out for Xbox though but I guess we should be happy it came out at all.

[quote name='Roufuss']For everyone who wants it but can't find it, Gamestop.com never went out of stock on this game, use SAVER for free shipping and you just pay the tax, it's like getting it in the store without the hassle.[/QUOTE]
Did this yesterday. The comparison to Cannon Spike did it for me. That was a fun game.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']It seems all the EB/GS around me have it in stock, so I'll probably be getting it via B&M.[/quote]

I almost went to B&M to pick it up too but they had only 2 copies and I wasn't sure if they would the the store display copies that are opened that they try to sell to you new. I freaking hate that, you would figure they could just print out covers to the games and place them into empty DVD cases instead of sacrificing a copy or two.

[quote name='MadFlava']I almost went to B&M to pick it up too but they had only 2 copies and I wasn't sure if they would the the store display copies that are opened that they try to sell to you new. I freaking hate that, you would figure they could just print out covers to the games and place them into empty DVD cases instead of sacrificing a copy or two.[/quote]

they did that with both copies of chulip they got in when i went to go pick that game up. i can somewhat understand gutting one to put on the shelf, but both copies?

[quote name='Shmitty']they did that with both copies of chulip they got in when i went to go pick that game up. i can somewhat understand gutting one to put on the shelf, but both copies?[/quote]

Yeah, its really frustrating when they gut your preorder copy. When FFXII was released they gutted four limited editions and four regular to blanket the shelves with it. I think they do multiple copies just so that people will notice the game. But its a dumb practice because what if you were intending on giving that game as a gift? I refuse to buy a gutted copy for new price.

[quote name='MadFlava']Yeah, its really frustrating when they gut your preorder copy.[/quote] They really do that? I've always been leery about preorders for that reason, but then I think, nah, they wouldn't do that. Looks like I'll be swearing off EB/GS entirely...

bread's done
Back