Red Wii and Red DSi XL coming to North America! $199 Wii, $179 DSi XL

[quote name='iNCREDiPiNOY']Where can I order Super Mario All-Stars?[/QUOTE]

I believe you can't in the US yet. Japan has the bundle with the 25th Anniversary Super Mario Bros. (Mario All-Stars.)

[quote name='ssjmichael']surprised to see no one bitching about this being MSRP[/QUOTE]

Well if those DSL compilations (like Zelda) are any indication, it will be $20-40 off this price on Black Friday. I got my gold DS Lite for like $30 off at Circuit City that day. Of course I think those came out the same week. But I still bet they will be on a hard sale if you can wait 3 weeks.

Might have to grab this for the wife. Been meaning to get her a Wii and New SMB, free no less, would be the perfect game for us. Of course, the console would stick out like a sore thumb next to the PS3 and our black TV stand :)

[quote name='exileinoblivion'] Who wants to have a red box just sticking out of their home theater setup.[/QUOTE]

Communists, that's who!

when the black wii came out i was all in.. I thought i had to have my 3rd wii and give it another go. This time, I'm not biting, I just dont like the waggle gimmick.

I'm so tempted to get that red Wii. I honestly never play my white Wii. I just don't have an urge to play it. I haven't got a game for years either. Maybe I'll get this bundle and give the White one to the little sis.

[quote name='ApeOverlord007']Good news is: New Super Mario Bros. Wii should go down in price, at least used.

Bad news is: Those who already have a white/black wii are probaly feeling pretty lousy... it never pays to be an early adopter. =([/QUOTE]

The Wii is 4 years old now, its not like it started out expensive.

Also, I don't like my systems looking like toys, so I'm happy with my white Console.

Cool bundle tho.

LOL i already have the red mario DS lite with the M on it... and i'm getting the DSi XL...

the mushroom, flower and star print put it over the top for me...

and while the red wii is cool, the lack of any special graphics is gonna make me pass on it

I get Genuine SanDisk 4GB Micro SD HC TF Card (Black) USD 10.06

R4i SDHC Revolution for NDSi (Golden)

Genuine SanDisk 4GB Micro SD HC TF Card (Black) USD 10.06
Pack including:
1 × Genuine SanDisk 4GB Micro SD HC TF Card (Black)
1 × Card Adapter

All are free shipping

What is the trade in value for the DS Original and DS Lite at Gamestop?
I really want to trade them in for the Mario Theme XL...

Not falling for it. Just because it's a different color doesn't make up for the fact that outside of a few first party games, there's nothing on the Wii worth playing.

Instead of the red I wish nintendo had gone with a blue wii with white smb 25th anniversary logos and included allstars loaded onto the system if nothing else. Still this is tempting but wish it had the logos.

[quote name='miriamleo']What is the trade in value for the DS Original and DS Lite at Gamestop?
I really want to trade them in for the Mario Theme XL...[/QUOTE]

I think the original DS is like 20-30 bucks, something really low and not worth it. You'd get a lot more if you sold it on the marketplace here, ebay, or craigslist.

I wonder if Best Buy will be getting this. I bought a dsi last year from there, and the L button gets effed up all the time. I have the extended warranty with in-store exchange, the original purchase price was $179, the button's not working... destiny? :D

[quote name='unopepito06']I wonder if Best Buy will be getting this. I bought a dsi last year from there, and the L button gets effed up all the time. I have the extended warranty with in-store exchange, the original purchase price was $179, the button's not working... destiny? :D[/QUOTE]

If you check the first link, Best Buy is getting it, I'm sure most major retailers will be.

I would be more willing to get the DSI XL if the pre-loaded stuff was different. There is way to many Mario games for it not to come with anything else. I'm still contemplating it, I have $40 in credit for amazon.

[quote name='exileinoblivion']Does no one else think this thing looks ass ugly? Who wants to have a red box just sticking out of their home theater setup.[/QUOTE]

hehe, it's more for mario fans and kids perhaps. I got the red xbox 360, part of me thinks it's an eyesore but all the girls that come over to play rockband think it's teh hawt. would I get a red wii? No...a red DSI XL perhaps.

[quote name='MaelstromB']It definitely does! I've still got my original DS that I bought the week it was released, and it was not until recently that I started buying games finally for it and actually utilizing it. haha. I just cannot help but feel that it (the original DS) is way uncomfortable to play and that the screen is not good on the eyes after some time has passed. So, instead of rushing out to buy an updated DS XL, I've been waiting patiently for the 3DS. Aside from the suggested price tag (of the 3DS), I still do not understand why someone would buy a DS when the 3DS will do it all and more with far superior graphics?[/QUOTE]

The predicted price point of the 3DS is exactly the reason I am upgrading this LE DSi XL.

I still have a pristine DS Lite that I will still keep cuz the trade in and secondary market price is not a price I would get rid of it for. That said outside of the PSP 1000 release, I have never gotten a handheld on release and have always waited for a price drop.

I was going to wait for the inevitable BF DSi Bundles for the holidays but it being a Mario Anniversary Limited edition as well as being the best color available made me pre-order it from Amazon. :)

I have the last Mario DS that was released, and I want an excuse to upgrade to the DSI (though I was trying to hold off for a 3DS).

Also, the red Wii would look nice beside the Red Resident Evil 360, however I feel that we are getting screwed over by not getting the pre-loaded SMB game with altered graphics like the Japanese are getting and that is probably enough to make me not buy it.

im on the fence about this one. My DS Lite has taken a beating for the last 3 years and the R button is finally beginning to break. I hate the fact the DSI XL bundle is not being preloaded with more mario titles...but the icons on the cover are tying me in.

So what would you guys do, wait for the 3DS or get this and be happy with it?

this is going to be one extremely hot xmas item - give it a few months till they sell out everywhere...

Im thinking black friday if not right after release

[quote name='turboice']this is going to be one extremely hot xmas item - give it a few months till they sell out everywhere...

Im thinking black friday if not right after release[/QUOTE]

I suspect it will be like every other Nintendo holiday bundle which means some retailers will sell it at a discount on Black Friday and they are still available in stores through January. After that, you're probably out of luck. I don't think I would necessarily rush to pre-order this as I know at least Kmart will have a deal on the Wii bundle and maybe even the DSi XL based on comments from the rep in the Kmart thread. I'm sure other retailers will have their own custom deals and bundles. I think Walmart in the leaked ad was offering the DSi XL Mario bundle and two other games for $199 which might be a better deal if you wanted any of the games on the list.

[quote name='Master Troll']New Super Mario Bros would have been a more appropriate title for the 25th anniversary Mario DSi :p[/QUOTE]

I would have picked it up without thinking if it had NSMB.

[quote name='mr_bungle']You're getting NSMB, so it's like you're getting a $50 game free...that'll be good for all 4 wii owners out there who don't have it who want to upgrade and an incentive for those who do. Heck, that was one reason that pushed me into buying a wii...unfortunately, I never played it much after the first month :roll:[/QUOTE]

I've bought NSMB multiple times, but I've always traded it in for +$5 or +$10 of what I got it for, so I never have actually have had a chance to play it yet.

I can't NOT get his bundle. So many of my childhood memories are all based upon that NES Deluxe set w/ R.O.B. & Gyromite along w/ that 13" Gold Star tv on Christmas morning in '87.

Sentimental doesn't even begin to describe it. :lol:

I'm wondering if this "Limited Edition" red Wii will actually be rare and possibly valuable in the future...any opinions? My collector side is about to click the buy button.

They shouldn't be allowed to call it limited unless they give out how many it is limited to. limited to as many as they can sell is not limited.

[quote name='SpockBlocker']I'm wondering if this "Limited Edition" red Wii will actually be rare and possibly valuable in the future...any opinions? My collector side is about to click the buy button.[/QUOTE]

Obviously, given how many different retailers are selling it, it won't be very limited. In fact, this is the only holiday Nintendo bundle I have ever seen sold by literally every major retailer. Usually, they limit it to a particular retailer or two like Target and TRU. This time, even Kmart is getting a ton of them per Josh in the Kmart thread. As such, if you want or need a new DSiXL or Wii, this would be a great buy. Otherwise, this isn't the kind of thing worth speculating on for financial gain.

[quote name='Maniac Mansion']I can't NOT get his bundle. So many of my childhood memories are all based upon that NES Deluxe set w/ R.O.B. & Gyromite along w/ that 13" Gold Star tv on Christmas morning in '87.

Sentimental doesn't even begin to describe it. :lol:[/QUOTE]

But that's what I don't understand. This has nothing to do with the NES. Other than a logo on both boxes commemorating the 25th anniversary of Mario and a few small black line drawings on the DSi XL, it really is just a red Wii and DSi XL. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it really isn't the most nostalgic thing they could have done to commemorate Mario.

[quote name='Maniac Mansion']I can't NOT get his bundle. So many of my childhood memories are all based upon that NES Deluxe set w/ R.O.B. & Gyromite along w/ that 13" Gold Star tv on Christmas morning in '87.

Sentimental doesn't even begin to describe it. :lol:[/QUOTE]

I could never get that thing to work. :/ I remember renting Maniac Mansion from a local video store too. Good times. I also still have the Nintendo Power your avatar is based on.

I already have the ps3, xbox360 and a lot of games to play. However, seeing this red wii bundle and the possibility of playing new mario, galaxy 1 and 2, and donkey kong returns will make me buying this. Damn it !!1

[quote name='bojay1997']But that's what I don't understand. This has nothing to do with the NES. Other than a logo on both boxes commemorating the 25th anniversary of Mario and a few small black line drawings on the DSi XL, it really is just a red Wii and DSi XL. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it really isn't the most nostalgic thing they could have done to commemorate Mario.[/QUOTE]

As far as I can tell, for you, nothing is good enough to commemorate Mario's anniversary.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7767604&postcount=71
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7767847&postcount=99

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='eastx']As far as I can tell, for you, nothing is good enough to commemorate Mario's anniversary.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7767604&postcount=71
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7767847&postcount=99[/QUOTE]

Actually, they could have actually put some effort into these various "commemorative" editions instead of just dumping crap out and hoping or knowing that people would buy it. For example, they could have easily packaged the original Super Mario 1-3, plus the SNES All Star edition versions, a nice hardcover art book, a commemorative coin and a real soundtrack in a nice box and charged $50 for it. I would have been happy to buy that. Similarly, they could have actually put the Mario 25th anniversary symbol somewhere on these two consoles and included some small trinkets like coins, or a nice piece of artwork or something to actually make this specific to the anniversary.

Instead, all they did was stamp out red colored plastic on both. They also could have done a nice Mario handheld game compilation, but instead they are bundling Super Mario Kart which has little or nothing to do with the Super Mario series. I'm sorry, I know Nintendo makes tons of money, but just once, don't you think they could spend a little of it to say thank you to the fans by giving them some nicer things to buy? I guess that would be too generous for a company that has literally printed money for the past decade as all of us have bought handheld after handheld and console after console despite the fact that they have done little to create new IP or even innovation on the software side. So, yes, Nintendo could have done a lot to please me and a lot of other fans besides putting the same damn thing in a box with a slight color variation.

[quote name='bojay1997']Actually, they could have actually put some effort into these various "commemorative" editions instead of just dumping crap out and hoping or knowing that people would buy it. For example, they could have easily packaged the original Super Mario 1-3, plus the SNES All Star edition versions, a nice hardcover art book, a commemorative coin and a real soundtrack in a nice box and charged $50 for it. I would have been happy to buy that. Similarly, they could have actually put the Mario 25th anniversary symbol somewhere on these two consoles and included some small trinkets like coins, or a nice piece of artwork or something to actually make this specific to the anniversary.

Instead, all they did was stamp out red colored plastic on both. They also could have done a nice Mario handheld game compilation, but instead they are bundling Super Mario Kart which has little or nothing to do with the Super Mario series. I'm sorry, I know Nintendo makes tons of money, but just once, don't you think they could spend a little of it to say thank you to the fans by giving them some nicer things to buy? I guess that would be too generous for a company that has literally printed money for the past decade as all of us have bought handheld after handheld and console after console despite the fact that they have done little to create new IP or even innovation on the software side. So, yes, Nintendo could have done a lot to please me and a lot of other fans besides putting the same damn thing in a box with a slight color variation.[/QUOTE]

All I can do @ this point is... :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

bread's done
Back