Redbox game rentals start today?

2DMention

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
Got an email blast from them that they start renting games nationwide today. (MN)

Has anybody tried it yet? How is the game selection? Do they only have mainstream games, or do they have anything niche like RPGs or Child of Eden?

Nvm. Found the link:

http://www.redbox.com/games

Looks like they have some good stuff, but it could be YMMV depending on where you live.

I remember someone talking about in the Redbox thread in the deals form (which appears to be gone) about how you can extend your total rental time past 24 hours if you rent at a specific time, but I completely forgot the details.

[quote name='Buuhan1']I remember someone talking about in the Redbox thread in the deals form (which appears to be gone) about how you can extend your total rental time past 24 hours if you rent at a specific time, but I completely forgot the details.[/QUOTE]

It's simple: Rent at 12:01AM on Saturday (Friday night) and it's due back by 9PM on Sunday. That's 44.9 hours of rental time for a one night charge.

Go to Redbox.com to see their selection. L.A. Noire, the only game I would have rented, is PS3-only at Redbox :oldman:

anyone know of any promo codes that work with games? youd figure they would launch with a promo to get people to try it

And yea selection is pretty meh. I have most of the stuff on their list

[quote name='Kerig']It's simple: Rent at 12:01AM on Saturday (Friday night) and it's due back by 9PM on Sunday. That's 44.9 hours of rental time for a one night charge.

Go to Redbox.com to see their selection. L.A. Noire, the only game I would have rented, is PS3-only at Redbox :oldman:[/QUOTE]
Does it have to be Friday night, or can it be any night?

My local RedBox's have Duke Nukem Forever, Black Ops, inFAMOUS 2, and Transformers: Dark of the Moon. Not much of a selection...

The one Redbox I checked had 1 game, and it was some Wii family games or something stupid like that.

I'm surprised how many games are already available at the two near me (20-30) in a not-hugely populated area of LA County. This keeps up, I'll only be buying RPGs from now on!

I was in a test market for this, so managed to rent a couple of times using this feature. While it was nice being able to rent again (and not through something like Gamefly), I don't think I'd do it again unless they start to heavily promote it with a steady stream of promos/offers/coupons. They're selection doesn't seem to be frequently updated and the price, in general, is kind of high at $2 a night.

[quote name='Buuhan1']Does it have to be Friday night, or can it be any night?

My local RedBox's have Duke Nukem Forever, Black Ops, inFAMOUS 2, and Transformers: Dark of the Moon. Not much of a selection...[/QUOTE]any night

AFAIK the same codes used on dvd rentals (DVDONME, BREAKROOM, etc) work. However it'll only deduct the $1

[quote name='Buuhan1']Does it have to be Friday night, or can it be any night?
[/QUOTE]

Any night, that was just an example of how it works. No matter what time of day you rent, it's due back by 9PM the next day. And you can return it literally anywhere. I've been using them for any movies that I am moderately interested in seeing, but I don't want to pay full price to see them at the theater and I'm willing to wait a few months for. I've watched some real gems (True Grit, The Fighter) and some movies that were total shit (Twilight for the lulz, Green Hornet). And all I had to pay was $1 for both my husband and me. 50 cents per person>>>>>>$8-10+ per person.

Doesn't have any games that are generally my cup of tea, but there are a few I'd be willing to try for $2.

Esp. for games with really short single player campaigns, if you can knock them out in a weekend then for $2-4 (depending on when you rent it) seems reasonable to me. Will probably do this w/ Duke Nukem, as I have an interest in seeing what a train wreck it is but don't want to pay much at all for it.

[quote name='Richter']any night

AFAIK the same codes used on dvd rentals (DVDONME, BREAKROOM, etc) work. However it'll only deduct the $1[/QUOTE]

Are these codes reusable, like I can get $1 off every rent, or is it a one time use tied to your account?

I too am wanting to play Duke Nukem for teh lulz, but from a stream I've seen it is bullshitty hard.

[quote name='Buuhan1']Are these codes reusable, like I can get $1 off every rent, or is it a one time use tied to your account?

I too am wanting to play Duke Nukem for teh lulz, but from a stream I've seen it is bullshitty hard.[/QUOTE]
Those codes are once per cards. However there are some codes that one time use regardless - usually the ones you get from their newsletter

http://www.insideredbox.com/redbox-codes/

[quote name='wwe101']$14 for a one week rental? fuck that[/QUOTE]

Yeah unless you live really far from a Gamefly shipping center or need a game RIGHT THIS MINUTE this sucks

Pretty sweet deal if they ramp up their selection. I'd love to see some RPG's and more obscure games thrown into the mix.

As for those complaining "$14 a week", I dunno. I'm personally not one to rent for a week at a time-- if I want to try a game out, I want to try a game out (to see whether it's worth a purchase or perhaps a money-saving, all-night run-through if it's short enough).

Sounds to me like the equivalent of complaining about a hotel costing $1,400/week if the nightly room rate is $200. If you're going to move in, you may as well just buy the room.

[quote name='Josh1billion']Pretty sweet deal if they ramp up their selection. I'd love to see some RPG's and more obscure games thrown into the mix.

As for those complaining "$14 a week", I dunno. I'm personally not one to rent for a week at a time-- if I want to try a game out, I want to try a game out (to see whether it's worth a purchase or perhaps a money-saving, all-night run-through if it's short enough).

Sounds to me like the equivalent of complaining about a hotel costing $1,400/week if the nightly room rate is $200. If you're going to move in, you may as well just buy the room.[/QUOTE]

or you could just get gamefly

[quote name='wwe101']or you could just get gamefly[/QUOTE]

Gamefly is shit. Their stock is shit. Their shipping is shit. To pay $18 a month and not even be able to rent new titles unless you have it solely in your cart with no other games out before it releases is ridiculious. If you have money and don't care where it goes or only care about older titles then yeah, Gamefly is fine. Otherwise, you'd be better off just buying the game.

Or do the 2 game plan which you can fix to have one slot dedicated to new titles, but that's even more money you gotta put down, damn nearly $30/month after tax. 2 months of that and you could have bought that game you so desperately wanted to rent.

the one at my work has had games for over a year, and blus for over 2 years, then again the whole raleigh nc area is a test market so we get all the fast food items way before everyone else

[quote name='wesdw369']the one at my work has had games for over a year, and blus for over 2 years, then again the whole raleigh nc area is a test market so we get all the fast food items way before everyone else[/QUOTE]

Yeah, same here. Had blus from when they started testing them.

Regardless, without a coupon/promo code, the CAG in me just can't see the value out of Redbox compared to services like Netflix, library, etc. In my time using redbox (couple years), I've only probably had to pay $8 total due to keeping something an extra night or forgetting to return something.

I will probably rent games once in a while. I have a huge backlog of games but there are some newer games I'd like to try and for $2, it is better for me than subscribing to Gamefly since I wouldn't want to be constantly renting games.

I have 3 Redbox's in my area and they all have the same 4 games: Black Ops, Brink, Duke Nukem and Lego Pirates of the Caribbean

Nothing I'm interested in renting but it's nice to have the option

I tried it out with renting You Don't Know Jack, and it's pretty slick, but like what one of my friends says: It's ghetto. You have to wait in line unless you go in the morning, the card swiper is f'd up and you have to swipe the card 15 times to get it to register.

I don't know if there's any near my new house, but I'm sure there is.

[quote name='2DMention']It's ghetto. You have to wait in line unless you go in the morning, the card swiper is f'd up and you have to swipe the card 15 times to get it to register.[/QUOTE]

I think ghetto is better describing the area you're renting from more so than Redbox itself.

Protip: Don't want to wait in line? Bring a gun next time.

[quote name='2DMention']I tried it out with renting You Don't Know Jack, and it's pretty slick, but like what one of my friends says: It's ghetto. You have to wait in line unless you go in the morning, the card swiper is f'd up and you have to swipe the card 15 times to get it to register.

I don't know if there's any near my new house, but I'm sure there is.[/QUOTE]

Go here and punch in your zip code....

http://www.redbox.com/games

It shows you where the Redbox's nearest you are located and what games are available

Last edited by a moderator:
You know, on one of those very rare days I have to myself, maybe throwing down $2 to wallow in something like Duke Nukem wouldn't be the worst thing I could do. I can see the utility in Redbox doing games.

Just rented Duke Nukem on Saturday and beat it yesterday afternoon. Well worth the $2. Gotta wait and see when the nearest Redboxes get Transformers in.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Yeah, same here. Had blus from when they started testing them.

Regardless, without a coupon/promo code, the CAG in me just can't see the value out of Redbox compared to services like Netflix, library, etc. In my time using redbox (couple years), I've only probably had to pay $8 total due to keeping something an extra night or forgetting to return something.[/QUOTE]

whats sad is i havent used a redbox since way back when they rented vhs's, i check them out at work but with my schedule i either never have enough time to view/play what i want or am off the next day and hate the idea of driving 20-30 minutes just to turn in a movie/game, especially when i am patient enough to wait on deals to buy the game/movie or wait on them to hit netflix.

go on rebox.com they text a weekly free movie code, walgreens gives them out randomly (btw walgreens is a code for a free one) also if pepsi does like last year they gave out codes at certain retailers for buying their products

[quote name='Kerig']I think ghetto is better describing the area you're renting from more so than Redbox itself.

Protip: Don't want to wait in line? Bring a gun next time.[/QUOTE]

This right here. I have never had any problems with the card swiper, and usually if there's a line there's like one person. But usually there's no one else.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z35yeag-DQ4
In the ghettoooooooo....

[quote name='Buuhan1']Gamefly is shit. Their stock is shit. Their shipping is shit. To pay $18 a month and not even be able to rent new titles unless you have it solely in your cart with no other games out before it releases is ridiculious.[/QUOTE]

This is actually false.

I have only one game out at a time and can get new releases pretty reliably. Many people have gone over how you do this, so I won't repeat what has already been said. Their shipping isn't the fastest but that is to be expected depending on where you live and where the game is shipped.

I have been with GF for maybe 3 years now and could not live without it.

[quote name='Buuhan1']Gamefly is shit. Their stock is shit. Their shipping is shit. To pay $18 a month and not even be able to rent new titles unless you have it solely in your cart with no other games out before it releases is ridiculious. If you have money and don't care where it goes or only care about older titles then yeah, Gamefly is fine. Otherwise, you'd be better off just buying the game.

Or do the 2 game plan which you can fix to have one slot dedicated to new titles, but that's even more money you gotta put down, damn nearly $30/month after tax. 2 months of that and you could have bought that game you so desperately wanted to rent.[/QUOTE]

Gotta agree here.

$22/month is too much for two games at a time -- which ends up closer to one game at a time, when you factor in shipping times. Unless you intend to keep each game for a couple of weeks at a time (not really my idea of "renting"), it's not really worth it.

What they really need to do is ship games in your queue to you on the same day that you put a game back in the mail, not on the day that they receive it. Just log into the site, click a button that says "I just dropped it in the mail", and go. Turnaround time would instantly be cut in half to two or three days instead of four or five. This would require Gamefly to put a certain level of trust that the user isn't going to *say* a game's in the mail a day or two before it's actually there, but yeah, if the games show up a full week or more later than the customer claims to have shipped them back, slap them with a penalty fee (or revoke their return-notice privileges) and call it a day. Everyone else gets two days more playtime from each game swap -- easily an extra week or more every month.

That simple change would mean the difference between me subscribing and not.

......wasn't expecting this post to be that long, oops.

If you have a Play N'Trade in your area, many (all?) of them rent games for $1 a night, which means 10 am to 9pm the next day max. Their selection is the entirety of their used catalog, which includes classic/retro stuff.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']If you have a Play N'Trade in your area, many (all?) of them rent games for $1 a night, which means 10 am to 9pm the next day max. Their selection is the entirety of their used catalog, which includes classic/retro stuff.[/QUOTE]

whhaaaat? This has to just be your store, mine doesn't do anything like this!!

[quote name='Josh1billion']Gotta agree here.

$22/month is too much for two games at a time -- which ends up closer to one game at a time, when you factor in shipping times. Unless you intend to keep each game for a couple of weeks at a time (not really my idea of "renting"), it's not really worth it.

What they really need to do is ship games in your queue to you on the same day that you put a game back in the mail, not on the day that they receive it. Just log into the site, click a button that says "I just dropped it in the mail", and go. Turnaround time would instantly be cut in half to two or three days instead of four or five. This would require Gamefly to put a certain level of trust that the user isn't going to *say* a game's in the mail a day or two before it's actually there, but yeah, if the games show up a full week or more later than the customer claims to have shipped them back, slap them with a penalty fee (or revoke their return-notice privileges) and call it a day. Everyone else gets two days more playtime from each game swap -- easily an extra week or more every month.

......wasn't expecting this post to be that long, oops.[/QUOTE]

I do like your idea about notifying GF when you ship back a game. I just don't know how practical that would be.

But honestly speaking 2 games out at a time is not even close to one. That is just an incredible exaggeration. The turn around for me is usually less than a week. I put a game pack thurs or friday and get another one the following wednesday.

With my 1 game out plan I can get at least 3 games per month, maybe more depending on how fast I ship them out.

[quote name='Scorch']whhaaaat? This has to just be your store, mine doesn't do anything like this!![/QUOTE]

I think they're franchises and not corporate like Gamestop, so it makes sense that different stores would do different things.

They do have that, but it relies on your post office to scan the barcode and most are far too lazy to bother with it.

https://gamefly.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/107/related/1

I'm already up to six new releases this month.

Dungeon Siege III Xbox 360 6/20/2011
F.E.A.R. 3 Xbox 360 6/20/2011
Alice: The Madness Returns Xbox 360 6/13/2011
Duke Nukem Forever Xbox 360 6/13/2011
Red Faction: Armageddon Xbox 360 6/6/2011
Hunted: The Demon's Forge Xbox 360 6/1/2011

It's all about how close to their DC's you are.

bread's done
Back