REDDIT SCAM! Scammers using Good Rep CAGs names to SCAM on other sites!

So I commented on every one of the fake "rollobobo" posts under my name as: realrollobobo. I contacted Cheapy D and made him aware and can hopefully get my negative feedback removed, I also contacted PotatoLatkes and told him to check out this thread and comment in it. I even mentioned that he could provide the paypal address he sent the payment to. And I e-mailed the MikeyJay Raymond Guy and brought it to his attention as well. 

I guess I can just wait and see what happens. Is there anyone else on CAG I should contact? 

Last edited by a moderator:
So is Potatolatkes really screwed in this situation?

No way to get the money back?

I hope this never happens to me.

Holy crap this situation is intense...we need Scooby and the gang.

In all seriousness, I hope you guys get this resolved and everyone gets their money back.

Holy crap this situation is intense...we need Scooby and the gang.

In all seriousness, I hope you guys get this resolved and everyone gets their money back.
Yeah, I hope they can get PotatoLatkes money back. I feel bad that this happened to him. I hope they can somehow trace the paypal account to the person. I am sure it was a bogus paypal address. If I got a paypal payment for no reason, I certainly would contact the person sending me the money and ask what this was in reference to. You can never be too careful.

It amazes me as to the lengths someone will go to scam somebody. Horrible horrible people.

I just received this message from PotatoLatkes on reddit.

re: fake rollobobo user

from PotatoLatkes sent 

3 minutes ago

That makes more sense...and is what I originally thought...but once you blocked me without a response, I changed assumption to you being the same as the scammer.

I am out of the house now on mobile. I will send a better mail and ready through the threads here and on CAG and will remove the negative feedback.

He used an email address of [email protected].

I am out on a hike...just stopped for a break. I will try and reply better later today.

That's 100% not my paypal e-mail address. Any CAG I recently traded with can attest to that. (well ones that sent me paypal of course)

This is absolutely crazy, people stealing CAG identities to SCAM other people on other sites.

I personally never trust anybody when they say "I have XXX feedback on XXX site".

I personally never trust anybody when they say "I have XXX feedback on XXX site".
I say it all the time - I have such low feedback on here, that people sometimes want to take a look at my feedback elsewhere.

Anyway, I'm sorry what's happening to the OP.

I say it all the time - I have such low feedback on here, that people sometimes want to take a look at my feedback elsewhere.

As for this other "potato" guy we are discussing... well, he gives a bad name to people named "potato".
It wasn't his fault. He actually got scammed by a guy posing as me. I wish I could change the thread title but I cannot...or at least I havent figured it out.

What a sad situation all around, it's crazy what lazy people will do to steal money.

Sorry about all this crap you gotta deal with now too Rollobobo, although it does serve a warning to all of us what some scammers are up to these days. Might be a good idea to make an account on Reddit and some of the other big trading sites with your CAG name so other people don't steal it and try to drag your name in the mud.

As Rollobobo's feedback suggests, I've traded with him before and he is an excellent CAG just to let everyone know!

By the way, you should be able to change the title if you go to the 'full editor'. Just hit 'Edit' and then there should be "Use Full Editor" near the bottom.

I know someone in the same situation  named whoknows who posts on neogaf but he got banned there and he also scams people on here. So maybe not really the same situation

What a sad situation all around, it's crazy what lazy people will do to steal money.

Sorry about all this crap you gotta deal with now too Rollobobo, although it does serve a warning to all of us what some scammers are up to these days. Might be a good idea to make an account on Reddit and some of the other big trading sites with your CAG name so other people don't steal it and try to drag your name in the mud.

As Rollobobo's feedback suggests, I've traded with him before and he is an excellent CAG just to let everyone know!

By the way, you should be able to change the title if you go to the 'full editor'. Just hit 'Edit' and then there should be "Use Full Editor" near the bottom.
Thanks for that STEVE05! Also thanks for helping with the title change info. It is al ot better now. Hopefully no other CAGs will have to deal with a situation like this again.

PotatoLatkes responded to me. Because he was a new user, I guess CAG rules state you have to wait 2 days before you can post so he said he couldn't post in the thread. Here's his response for those interested.

PotatoLatkes

•  
  • CAG Ultra Noob

Sent Today, 05:26 PM

I'm back home now.

I tried to reply to the thread...but it says I can not reply to that thread...I am guessing that is because I am a new user and I saw the FAQ says I need to be active for 30 days before creating a thread...maybe that applies to replying to the thread as well.

How do I remove the feedback?  I didn't see the option anywhere.  I don't have any problem removing the feedback since it seems pretty obvious now that you are not the same person as the scammer.

The short story, is that it was pretty dumb of me to take the bait.  I saw that he had created a thread selling what I was asking for...he replied to my original thread.  He rejected an offer in his other thread because he found a better deal (I had offered more in my thread...I saw this afterwards though)...I saw the positive feedback here.  I had to head out to work so I figured I'd get it done then and would be able to try out the game at night.

I'm embarrassed to say that I hadn't used or heard of CAG much before but I'll probably stick around and check it out more...it seems up my alley.

Anyway, I'm sorry what's happening to the OP.
I know a lot of new traders say it all the time, I just choose to be cautious for my own protection.

If you are starting out on the trade board, deal with high feedback traders exclusively until you build a good rep, then you can in turn help out newcomers. It is supposed to be a closed cycle of bringing up the trustworthy traders, but unfortunately scammers, scammers everywhere.

Ok. I can do that. I remember Pookeymeister was a moderator, but I havent seen him here in a while. Is there a moderator list anywhere on the site?

Also, Potatolatkes repied and told me the name associated with the paypal account he sent money to was a guy named: "Mason Gammot"

Here's the exact quote from his PM:

FWIW, the real name associated with the paypal account is "Mason Gammot".  Not sure if that aligns with his real name...is a made up name...or is the name of someone he knows.

Just something to file away for other CAGs.

In the meantime, people will still trade with you with one negative feedback, given the large amount of positive you have. Anyone who wouldn't probably isn't worth your time. It still looks better to have it removed, though.

In the meantime, people will still trade with you with one negative feedback, given the large amount of positive you have. Anyone who wouldn't probably isn't worth your time. It still looks better to have it removed, though.
Thanks the hope I have. If anyone can recommend a Mod I would appreciate it. I've emailed and PM'ed Cheapy D. Hopefully he can take care of it. Of course, for me, the sooner the better. That little Red Blip under negative is driving me nuts. :wall:

it is great to see so many people get involved and help out. these scammers are really filth.

Thanks the hope I have. If anyone can recommend a Mod I would appreciate it. I've emailed and PM'ed Cheapy D. Hopefully he can take care of it. Of course, for me, the sooner the better. That little Red Blip under negative is driving me nuts. :wall:
When something like this happened to me, Pookeymeister had mine removed for me :)

He's still around, just shoot him a PM!

Speaking of that... Where can we find your list?

Oh lol...dont have much right now. 

Just Alan Wake "The Signal" DLC for (Xbox 360)

A Gears of War Games on Demand and some Sonic & Sega All-Stars Transformed DLC. All 360. Nothing spectacular. 

Oh lol...dont have much right now.

Just Alan Wake "The Signal" DLC for (Xbox 360)

A Gears of War Games on Demand and some Sonic & Sega All-Stars Transformed DLC. All 360. Nothing spectacular.
What are you asking for the GoW digital copy?

BTW, congrats on getting this worked out (I see the negative feedback removed). Thanks for letting others know, too.

Of course. I'm glad I could help. As for you Dom Paolo I am PMing you the code now. It is yours! FREE! Just for helping in this thread.

Twztid, I am sending you the Gears of War G.O.D for FREE as well. I am just so  thrilled this was taken care of as well as the CAG support. This is a great community of people/gamers. 

Of course. I'm glad I could help. As for you Dom Paolo I am PMing you the code now. It is yours! FREE! Just for helping in this thread.

Twztid, I am sending you the Gears of War G.O.D for FREE as well. I am just so thrilled this was taken care of as well as the CAG support. This is a great community of people/gamers.
Wow, thanks, bud. I'm really glad you got everything straightened out, and I really appreciate your generosity. I will certainly pass it forward, as I mentioned in the PM, so CAG can continue to be filled with great people like those here in this thread. Thank you.

Is there anyone who responded in this thread want an XBLA copy of The Maw or Aqua?! First person to respond to this will get it. One per CAG please. 

Again, Thanks for the overwhelming help and support on this. 

I didn't respond in the thread but observed the craziness if possible and nobody else wants it could I have aqua?

Twztid, I am sending you the Gears of War G.O.D for FREE as well. I am just so thrilled this was taken care of as well as the CAG support. This is a great community of people/gamers.
I know I already thanked you in PM, but I would definitely like to thank you again - you're a great CAG!

This whole community, as you said, is great. I'm glad to see that this has been resolved.

I know I already thanked you in PM, but I would definitely like to thank you again - you're a great CAG!

This whole community, as you said, is great. I'm glad to see that this has been resolved.
The Cag community took a bit of a dive not to long ago, but recently it has been fantastic. A lot of the people who were unnecessarily negative have seemed to move on. I think the community right now is the strongest I have ever seen and I look forward to participating to forums on a daily basis.

The Cag community took a bit of a dive not to long ago, but recently it has been fantastic. A lot of the people who were unnecessarily negative have seemed to move on. I think the community right now is the strongest I have ever seen and I look forward to participating to forums on a daily basis.
I agree with this 100%. I haven't been as active vocally as I used to be (my job has really been cutting into my spare time so I've had to prioritizre downtime) but the general banter and good natured fun that takes place in my frequented threads makes me miss being active in the community. CAG is a family.

I agree with this 100%. I haven't been as active vocally as I used to be (my job has really been cutting into my spare time so I've had to prioritizre downtime) but the general banter and good natured fun that takes place in my frequented threads makes me miss being active in the community. CAG is a family.
I'm totally with you. (Moose the Corgi too!) I kinda heard that there was a falling out of sorts a while back on CAG. Not really sure what happened or who it involved, but occasionally I still see people comment that CAG isn't how it used to be.

The Maw for XBLA is still available for FREE if anyone wants it. Just reply that your interested. First come, first serve.

Yay!  I can reply to the topic now!

Sorry for the confusion here.  I've usually been pretty safe with online transactions...but I rushed this one a bit and it bit me pretty badly unfortunately.  Life lesson I guess.

Anyways, hopefully I will have a less eventful time on CAG and will stick around and turn this into a good ending at least by finding this community!

For those asking about Potato Latkes earlier in the thread...I make a mean batch.  I think The League summed it up best though by describing them as "Jewish Hashbrowns".

Welcome to the fold Potato!

I'm sure you'll find this a more than adequate refuge from the uglier side of gaming communities.

Also, I love me some latkes.  :D/

Glad to see you're joining CAG PotatoLatkes!

You'll have an awesome time here. I look forward to a possible future trade!

More INFO from another user scammed on reddit. 

grimvover9000
Sent Today, 03:25 PM

I was also scammed by the  fuck face pretending to be you. :(

He offered a Battlefield 4 code in exchange for my 2 $25 Best Buy gift cards.

Luckily for me, I was able to call Best Buy just now and they said they would refund me with brand new gift cards. I hope Potato can be as lucky and that the damage can be undone. 

I was hoping to get an address or a name on the order that was made but they said one couldn't be found, just that the cards were used.

Anyway, here's the info that was used by the fake: 
gmail -(same as the one Potato gave) [email protected]
name tied to gmail - Lyle Lon

I don't have anything else. If Best Buy support turns up any info about the order, I'll give you more for any face-dropkicking related revenge type deals you may want to enact upon others.

Best thing about this ordeal, found this cool site full of cool people.

Sorry the dickbag used your name to scam people, friend

I'm totally with you. (Moose the Corgi too!) I kinda heard that there was a falling out of sorts a while back on CAG. Not really sure what happened or who it involved, but occasionally I still see people comment that CAG isn't how it used to be.

The Maw for XBLA is still available for FREE if anyone wants it. Just reply that your interested. First come, first serve.
Hey I've been lurking in this thread since you started it, glad you got everything sorted. Scumbags will be scumbags, just glad there were no long term repercussions for anyone from cag.

Oh and I wouldn't mind taking that the maw code, figured someone would have it by now lol.

This isn't good for me. I'll occasionally make trades on Reddit and use my CAG rep to vouch for myself. I use the same username everywhere though so I hope that counts for something.

Hey I've been lurking in this thread since you started it, glad you got everything sorted. Scumbags will be scumbags, just glad there were no long term repercussions for anyone from cag.

Oh and I wouldn't mind taking that the maw code, figured someone would have it by now lol.
No problem. Thanks for the support. I'll PM you The Maw code right now. I'm surprised it lasted this long. Check your PM.

This isn't good for me. I'll occasionally make trades on Reddit and use my CAG rep to vouch for myself. I use the same username everywhere though so I hope that counts for something.
Hopefully no other CAGs will have to deal with something like this. Its a shame really. I know when I started on GameTZ as well as CAG, I always referenced my ebay feedback. I guess with any new site you almost have to just build up your rep. Kinda sucks when just starting out, but I guess its unavoidable.

I take a few days off of CAG and this is the shit that happens?

joseph h. cat, you went through a mess, and I am really glad it got fixed. what an epic thread, cheers!

bread's done
Back