Reduced price game guides, all stores. Thread 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

floormat

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
3-17-07 Here should be most of the information that anyone would need in acquiring guides. please read ALL the information below before asking questions. most question are answered below. Again thank you 6669 for all your contributions to this thread and web site.

My wifes web site - Nice jewelry good prices.

www.ladieslovejewelry.com

For hopefully the latestest most current up to date guide drops please refer to the

"CAG Strategy Guide WIKI page"

recent drop section

http://wiki.cheapassgamer.com/index.php/Category:Strategy_Guides_(recent_drops)

master list section

http://wiki.cheapassgamer.com/index.php/Category:Strategy_Guides_(master_lists)

they will be filetered from the thread posts to the WIKI page as often as possible. Thank you for your contribution.

Listed in the wiki is the most up to date compiled list of all known guide deals from the posts of this thread and similar threads. I will update the wikis lists as people post new guide deals. Everything listed in this thread “should” be the price listed or lower. These prices are typically company wide price reductions and not YMMV. But just because the prices are typically universal does not mean that they are guaranteed to be sold to you. Most stores have a destroy clause with the guide companies. So whether or not you get these guides depend on many many factors from how diligent a staff is to how reasonable or friendly one is. Good luck on any you may find and good luck on acquiring them. Please dont have a fit if a store wont let you have them just move on. Causing trouble rarely gets guides and most of the time stops others from getting guides in your area. If anything is incorrect or missing please post so corrections can be made.

Now you can just cut, paste, print, and GO!!!

What is a Penny Guide:

To answer this question fully, one first has to understand the longstanding legal agreemenat which [book] publishers have with book sellers such as Borders, Barnes & Noble and other chain and Mom & Pop shops, as well as other retailers who similarly sell their books.

For several decades, publishers such as Simon & Schuster, Penguin, Random House, et cetera will send out X-number of a title to stores to be sold. After a time, when it is decided that those older titles have little chance of selling and the store shelf real-estate would be better used for newer publications, they issue a recall to the vendors to field destroy all remaining copies of titles A, B & C.

The stores then will pull those titles from their inventory to be field-destroyed, and in their systems mark the publications as 1¢. The 1¢ price is to indicate to the publisher that they are no-longer selling the pulled title, and it is also to serve as a Red Flag to any cashier who might ring up a title (on the chance that the titles were not pulled as legally they were required).

When the pull lists are sent out by the publishers, and the stores adjust the price in their inventory (and pull and field-destroy the books), the stores also are to report to the publisher the number of the books they pulled. (This is generally done at a corporate level.) The publisher then credits the stores full cost of the books.

So lets say, MegaChain orders 8000 copies of the Bread Baker strategy guide for their stores in North America for say, $4 a piece. They owe $32,000 to Publisher X. Bread Baker being a big seller and a hard game, then sells 6000 of those 8000 guides, leaving around 2000 guides on the shelves when Publisher X issues the pull demand. Publisher X then issues MegaChain an $8000 credit for the 2000 unsold copies of the guide.

According to IAmTheCheapestGamer, some retailers also have deals where each copy of pulled titles sent to their recognized Recycling Centers are additionally issued further credit for being environmentally responsible in the manner in which they field destroy each book.

How you can help: You can keep a printed copy of this list in your jacket, wallet, purse whatever and when you go to any store that carries guides look for guides for games that have been out typically around six months or more and ask for a price check or better yet use a store scanner if they are available. If they are anything less than cover price write it down for us. Also please when you post the info here if it looks like it’s a temporary sale, please post that as well otherwise it will be assumed to a be a permanent price reduction. If you scan a guide and it comes up a different price that what the master lists suggests please list the day and store that you had the guide scanned. Also please list if you physically saw a self-scanner’s price, physically saw a cash registers price or vocally heard a price from the store’s staff. This might sound like a lot and of course we will take what we can get but this will go a long way to having the best master list as well as ferreting out different store practices and policy’s. All help is appreciated and thank you.

Trading: I spoke with the post office and found out that the cheapest form of mailing to the 48 contiguous states would be to use “media mail” It will take a little longer but it will also allow the least amount of money per transaction when trying to acquire guides for your collection. For an average guide weight of about 9 oz its $1.42 cents. All you need to do is put it in an envelope and ship it media mail. He mentioned no one should have a problem if you use the same envelope several times to cut down on costs. He also mentioned that when shipping Media mail that you cannot have any personal correspondence in the envelope. Only books and an invoice are acceptable. If trading is in you interest you do whatever is most comfortable for you and your trading party this was merely a FYI and a good way to keep it cheap.

Helpful links to check for reduced priced guides or guides in general. You will likely never find one cent guides here but various discounted guides and possibly some that you have been searching for.

Best Buy

Best Buy guide search

Circuit City

Circuit City guide search

EB Games

EB Games guide search

Gamestop (babages,software etc,funcoland)

Gamestop guide search

Overstock

Overstock guide search

Toys R Us (uhh best link I could find)

Toys R Us guide search

strategy-guides.net (another large site of guides)

strategy-guides.net guide search

bookpool (guides typically 45% off or so )

Book pool guide search

Looking for assistance: I am looking for some staff from Best Buy’s, EB’s, Gamestop’s and stores of the like. When EB Games or Gamestop has a price reduction their shelves can be empty in a day or two to even as little as just a few hours. EB and Gamestop have daily price changes so all depending on the store’s staff they could be all gone almost immediately. If I could get some staff that can either post here first thing any day that they have a price reduction on guides or that might be able to text message me with such price reductions so that I might be able to inform CAG’ers ASAP. Whether or not us the end user would actually be able to get them from a particular stores staff is very much an YMMV but if there is anyone who can help this would greatly increase the chance’s of CAG’ers being able to pick up guides from these locations. If anyone is interested and able to help please e-mail me at [email protected]. Thank you all for your consideration.

Thank you all for making CAG what it is and for all your contributions.

Disclaimer: This list is intended to help all guide hunters. Please feel free to print yourself a copy and get what you can find. Please do not post this list on another site. {e-mail me please if for some reason you would want to. [email protected]} Please just link to this thread, add to this list and help it grow. Thank you

all guides are now listed in the wiki please go there. thank you.

Went to Best Buy and the Enchanted Arms Guide for 360 wouldnt even come up in the system and they wouldnt seel it to me. It is free if they will let you take it though. GOOD LUCK! Any other guides pennied out besides Tomb Raider and Enchanted Arms. I tryed to get the WoW Atlas and it ringing up 29.99. I thought that got pennied a while back. Am I wrong. Thanks

LOL It looks like my days of getting guides for .01 or whatever are long gone. I went into my local BB and had the clerk in media pc one TR: L, EA and one of the code books. Soon as they came up .00, he was like ' these shouldn't be on the floor, they have to be junked'.

So, I go over and grab the 2 remaining TR, 1 remaining EA and the STACK(4-5) of the code book, PLUS my re-upc'd old Oblivion guide that I'd put on the empty shelf at the bottom of the one row of shelving.

I go to the register n the girl scans the first guide, it comes up .00. She has the typical BB 'wtf' moment, I snicker at this. She clears it out and RE-scans it, again comes up .00.

I tell her that these are 'on clearance' or sale or something. She proceeds to scan the rest of the guides, then says 'I better go check and make sure I can sell these'. Then, she goes off and finds this manager type, I knew I was screwed soon as he came over.

He says 'what did they ring up?'. .00 she says. We can't sell them, they have to be junked. I try explaining the '$10 off all Prima guides thing', he knows nothing of it, repeated the 'junk the guides' line. I repeat myself 2 times, saying they should be sold for what they ring up. I get the 'we can mark them back up to their old price and THEN sell them'. I repeat the 'sell em for the price they come up line'.

He repeats, again, the junk line. I wish him a merry xmas with one finger and walk out. Lovely guide drop this is, or 'sale' or whatever. The days of me getting any guides for .01 or whatever are OVER, if future drops go to .00, as I never(well, almost never) buy any games or other crap to 'hide' the penny guide purchases. Finesse is not my strong suit. LOL

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']LOL It looks like my days of getting guides for .01 or whatever are long gone. I went into my local BB and had the clerk in media pc one TR: L, EA and one of the code books. Soon as they came up .00, he was like ' these shouldn't be on the floor, they have to be junked'.[/QUOTE]
That was your mistake. Dont ever ask the people in media, ask the cashiers that have no idea.

Don't give up just yet matey, just because you've had a bad day at one BB, it doesn't mean the games over. I've been rejected one day and score the next. It all depends on the person you talk to... I've just managed to grab a couple of (poor shape) God Father guides for $0.00 each, it took a bit more convincing than usual but it worked. I find telling them "please scan this, I beleive it's on clearance" BEFORE they scan it, always help to make them a little easier to work with. Good luck man!

EDIT: I couldn't find any old Oblivan guide with the "sticker"... can someone explain whats the deal with the sticker?

One more thing, when the hell will the morrowind guide drop? Freaken waited almost a year for it now...

So true....here's my tips for getting guides without a hassle;

1. Choose a good cashier, female preferred, someone who doesn't like there job, they'll have a tired/pissed/hateful look on their face.
2. Tell the cashier immediately upon getting to the register that you are wanting to check and see if these guides are "on clearance"!
3. Don't try to buy every fracking guide that's at a penny, if you are just buying 3 or 4 they'll tend so say no biggie, if you try to grab 30 or 40 they WILL call their manager over.
4. Try buying something else at the same time if possible, remember that you can return it with the reciept for a full refund a day later.
5. Don't be a jerk about it, if you get turned away then say no biggie cuz otherwise they might remember you or the cheap guides and pull them off the shelves.

Lastly, karma is good and so therefore you should trade some of your cheap guides to other fellow CAGS such as myself. I'm in need of a Oblivion, Tomb Raider or Madden NFL 07 but alls i got to trade is Enchanted Arms, HalfLife 2 Episode 1, Mage Knight Apocolypse, and The Moviez game guide! Laterz!

The only one of the guides (EA) available at my BB was actually marked free on the shelve sticker... had not problems, I also picked up Voltron Vol 2 as well

No biggie on the other 2 as I have both already

was able to get the .00 Enchanted Arms guide but paid 9.99 for the Oblivion expanded guide. :drool: wish i printed the coupon now that i know about it.....

saw 39.99$ for DOA 4 and the 29.99$ viva pinata LE....should really go back for those

LOL I find this hilarious. The BB about 20 miles from me that usually pulls ALL pennied out guides as soon as the order comes down had 3 old Oblivion guides in stock, as well as 6-7 of the Fall 06 Code Book AND a couple pristine Titanquest guides.

I took 2 of the Code Books, all 3 Oblivion guides and both Titanquest guides.

The cashier was about to show a fellow cashier her total, but I was glad that cashier seemed to ignore the first.

So, I guess my luck wasn't ALL bad yesterday, though I did want at least ONE TR: L guide(even though Angel Of Darkness left a bad taste in my mouth, I wanna try the newest TR game) and one EA guide.

However, I don't want to trade for either of those, I'll be posting a list within a couple days advertising which games I'm looking for the guides for. If it's a rarer guide, I may do a 1 Oblivion for that 'rare' guide trade.

I need a Tomb Raider: Legend guide.... kinda sick of hitting up GFAQs all the time.

I've got the code books to trade, if anyone has an extra.

PMs ahoy, mateys.

I love my bestbuy. I have never been turned down even when I brought a stack of 50 guides up once when I first decided to hit it up. This time i was laughing when the cashier asked me if I had a reward zone card before she scanned the guides. I just chuckled and told her there was no point in using it.

She seemed a bit confused until she started scanning and saw they were $0.00. She called over a manager to confirm and I just told the manager the guides are $9.99 and bestbuy is having a holiday sale for $10 off any prima guide with no minimum. She confirmed the guides were indeed $9.99 normally and let me take em.

I think I still have 1-2 oblivions and 3-4 enchanted arms if anyone wants.

The Oblivion guide with the new sticker UPC rings up at $9.99. Copies without the sticker ring up as $19.99. I had both kinds scanned because I thought there was a way to get that guide for free.

And, of course, when I found out that was not possible I had to pass. ;)

kspiff

[quote name='Brian9824']I love my bestbuy. I have never been turned down even when I brought a stack of 50 guides up once when I first decided to hit it up. This time i was laughing when the cashier asked me if I had a reward zone card before she scanned the guides. I just chuckled and told her there was no point in using it.

She seemed a bit confused until she started scanning and saw they were $0.00. She called over a manager to confirm and I just told the manager the guides are $9.99 and bestbuy is having a holiday sale for $10 off any prima guide with no minimum. She confirmed the guides were indeed $9.99 normally and let me take em.

I think I still have 1-2 oblivions and 3-4 enchanted arms if anyone wants.[/QUOTE]

10 dollars off ¿? Are you sure on this? I was under the impression that they were half price not 10 dollars off. bleh boy i feel silly. that explains the one guy getting them for 2 dollars then. oi. so basically 16.99-10.00-5.00 coupon = $1.99 *walks away feeling sheepish*

So after looking at this thread continue on for months without actually looking for penny guies, I decided to try my luck tonight. I used the technique of telling them before hand that i beleive they are on clearance and I just wanted to check before buying them.

She scanned them and looked confused, then entered the UPC and called over a manager that looked like his shift was just ending. He whispered that it must be one that they were suposed to take off and junk. Then he just looked at me and said "just give it to him, merry christmas".

I got two enchanted arms and one tomb raider....

So i'm looking to trade an Enchanted arms for either a Kameo or Oblivion.

managed to get need for speed carbon guide for 1.99 using the prima coupon. also got
enachanted arms x3
tom raider legends x2
code books x2 used both coupons though
red steel guide

looking for older guides

Is the Titan Quest guide selling for $0.01 at Best Buy also?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']LOL I find this hilarious. The BB about 20 miles from me that usually pulls ALL pennied out guides as soon as the order comes down had 3 old Oblivion guides in stock, as well as 6-7 of the Fall 06 Code Book AND a couple pristine Titanquest guides.

I took 2 of the Code Books, all 3 Oblivion guides and both Titanquest guides.

The cashier was about to show a fellow cashier her total, but I was glad that cashier seemed to ignore the first.

So, I guess my luck wasn't ALL bad yesterday, though I did want at least ONE TR: L guide(even though Angel Of Darkness left a bad taste in my mouth, I wanna try the newest TR game) and one EA guide.

However, I don't want to trade for either of those, I'll be posting a list within a couple days advertising which games I'm looking for the guides for. If it's a rarer guide, I may do a 1 Oblivion for that 'rare' guide trade.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Zmonkay'] Where are all the GS/EB employees that used to post drops?[/quote]

There haven't been any drops. I'll post if they come up, but nothing has pennied out. Probably waiting for January when the rush is over.

Me and a few friends went through most of the BBs around the SoCal area and I managed to find 6 copies of Enchanted Arms. Those of you who are still looking it just PM me and I'll send you a want/trade list. Well, I'm keeping one for myself so that leaves 5 copies of it. Anyways, I can't start a topic yet because I haven't been here for a month yet so I can't put up a want/trade list yet.

Seems like the deals might be dead as, according to Brian9824, the $10 off Prima Guides no minimum promotion is dead. I manged to pick up a few Oblivions,Tomb Raiders and Enchanted Arms, I'm desperately looking for a few Pokemon Pocket Pokedexes so hit me up a PM if you can help :)

Thanks. I got Titan Quest guide and Guild Wars Factions guide for $0.01 each.

[quote name='boyboy1080']yes it was pennied out months ago[/QUOTE]

[quote name='AngelTK']Seems like the deals might be dead as, according to Brian9824, the $10 off Prima Guides no minimum promotion is dead. I manged to pick up a few Oblivions,Tomb Raiders and Enchanted Arms, I'm desperately looking for a few Pokemon Pocket Pokedexes so hit me up a PM if you can help :)[/quote]

See, I thought the Pocket Pokedexes should've been free too with the $10 off deal, but I wasn't sure. Although, I think the original price was like $12.99 or something, so $10 off that is $2.99(like it was advertised on the site).

And, maybe because they'll ring up something other than .00 now, whenever the guides that came up that DO drop to .01, I can actually get a copy of them.

I still have the following available for trade(only looking for guides for games I have):

3x Oblivion
2x Code Book
2x TitanQuest(absolutely beautiful.pristine books)

I am looking for the following guides(will do a 2-3 guide for ONE Oblivion guide for them):

Indiana Jones and The Emperors Tomb(big want)
ICO(HUGE want)
Hulk: Ultimate Destruction(big want)
(many more which I'll list in my trade list SOON)

[quote name='allout1986']There haven't been any drops. I'll post if they come up, but nothing has pennied out. Probably waiting for January when the rush is over.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for keeping us informed. It's guys like you, who have the inside track, that really help this site. Keep up the good work!

[quote name='AngelTK']Seems like the deals might be dead as, according to Brian9824, the $10 off Prima Guides no minimum promotion is dead. I manged to pick up a few Oblivions,Tomb Raiders and Enchanted Arms, I'm desperately looking for a few Pokemon Pocket Pokedexes so hit me up a PM if you can help :)[/QUOTE]

Worked for me yesterday (the 23rd) found a Tomb Raider at a distant BB (while doing other shopping)

I never said the deal was dead. I just confirmed like others said it was a $10 off prima guides. I have no idea when this deal ends.

Anyways i still have a few copies of everything too. Looking for mainly an Indigo Prophecy guide and assorted others atm.

The Prima sale appears to be 25% off now, rather than $10 off. Tomb Raider and Enchanted Arms scanned for $7.49 and the Zelda: TP hardbound guide is now $14.99.

[quote name='Josef']The Prima sale appears to be 25% off now, rather than $10 off. Tomb Raider and Enchanted Arms scanned for $7.49 and the Zelda: TP hardbound guide is now $14.99.[/quote]

Son of a *&$@!#, i wanted to get a Zelda TP Harccover today, i know the rule, those who hesitate on a good deal will be master......

[quote name='Brian9824']I never said the deal was dead. I just confirmed like others said it was a $10 off prima guides. I have no idea when this deal ends.

Anyways i still have a few copies of everything too. Looking for mainly an Indigo Prophecy guide and assorted others atm.[/quote]
no no, you were saying that the reason why stuff was 0.00 was because of the $10, sorry I worded it weirdly ;)

I picked up another ancient used guide: Capcom Fighter's Edge guide for PS1, $.90 after Edge card. My Gamestop had a stack of old used guides (mostly crap) hiding under the $9.99 used bin. I never really went through them until this week.

They have a literal STACK of Sonic Adventure and Ready to Rumble DC guides ($.99 ea)...maybe about 50 of each, again hiding under the $9.99 bin. I'm sure they'll never sell them. I dunno why they keep them out.

All of the very old used guides I've picked up lately have all said "DO NOT SELL" on the price sticker. Thankfully the employees have ignored that.

[quote name='cranguy']They have a literal STACK of Sonic Adventure and Ready to Rumble DC guides ($.99 ea)...maybe about 50 of each, again hiding under the $9.99 bin. I'm sure they'll never sell them. I dunno why they keep them out.[/quote]

I am interested in a Sonic Adventure guide. Please CML if you are interested in picking one up for trade, thanks.

Went to BB yesterday and was surprised to see a stack of Enchanted Arms game and guide on the shelf, and a lone copy of Tomb Raider guide tacked between some other guides. Took a copy of each to the cashier and both rung up $0.00. The cashier felt puzzled, went to the media dept to check, came back and said I could have them since they were supposed to be sent back and I got them before they were pulled.

Anyway, when I went back later on they had already pulled all the guides and the freakin' game too!

Later I found a lone copy of the code book :D

Unfortunately, I couldn't find the Zelda guide :cry: I really want one...

I just tried to get the Oblivion guide with the sticker, Enchanted Arms, & Tomb Raider Legend and they all came up $7.49!

I did get a Guild Wars Factions & Hitman Blood Money x2 though. They also had Prey & both LOTR guides as well as Everquest Kingdom of Sky & Everquest II Atlas, & Mage Knight among others. I have enough of all those so I left them.

Now that the price went up, a BB in my city will not have any sells. An associate noticed it early on and they threw away the guides since they were 0.00.

[quote name='lordopus99']Now that the price went up, a BB in my city will not have any sells. An associate noticed it early on and they threw away the guides since they were 0.00.[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

I hope those Best Buy employees get fired for throwing out a ton of stock for no reason.

[quote name='shiningslade']I just tried to get the Oblivion guide with the sticker, Enchanted Arms, & Tomb Raider Legend and they all came up $7.49!

I did get a Guild Wars Factions & Hitman Blood Money x2 though. They also had Prey & both LOTR guides as well as Everquest Kingdom of Sky & Everquest II Atlas, & Mage Knight among others. I have enough of all those so I left them.[/quote]

DAMN man, what Best Buy do you go to that they have ALL those older pennied guides? And, I thought you were taking over for my having given up on the guide hoarding? LOL

[quote name='cranguy']I picked up another ancient used guide: Capcom Fighter's Edge guide for PS1, $.90 after Edge card. My Gamestop had a stack of old used guides (mostly crap) hiding under the $9.99 used bin. I never really went through them until this week.

They have a literal STACK of Sonic Adventure and Ready to Rumble DC guides ($.99 ea)...maybe about 50 of each, again hiding under the $9.99 bin. I'm sure they'll never sell them. I dunno why they keep them out.

All of the very old used guides I've picked up lately have all said "DO NOT SELL" on the price sticker. Thankfully the employees have ignored that.[/quote]
I too would like a Sonic Adventure guide. Check my sig for a possible trade? I have not updated it since the date shown, but I have a lot of the newer guide drops available...just ask!:cool:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']DAMN man, what Best Buy do you go to that they have ALL those older pennied guides? And, I thought you were taking over for my having given up on the guide hoarding? LOL[/quote]It was one in NJ.;)

[quote name='shiningslade']It was one in NJ.;)[/quote]

LOL probably one I was to at one time. Out by Parsippany? I know the one in Springfield(PA) used to be SO good for finding just massive amounts of the older drop guides. And the one in Middletown, NY wasn't too shabby either.

i went to the store in greenville sc and ha no luck
starwarsm enchanted arns, tomb raider, madden o7, none worked all were 12 something

I checked 2 stores in MI today. Oblivion and Enchanted Arms were ringing up $9.99 and $7.49, respectively. Tomb Raider: Legend also rang up at $7.49. What gives, man?! I got a copy of Oblivion TR:L here in Chicago last week for free!

[quote name='shieryda']I checked 2 stores in MI today. Oblivion and Enchanted Arms were ringing up $9.99 and $7.49, respectively. Tomb Raider: Legend also rang up at $7.49. What gives, man?! I got a copy of Oblivion TR:L here in Chicago last week for free![/QUOTE]
the price when back up

[quote name='cheesehead5775']Best buy marked Down The movies Strategy guide to a penny![/quote]

thanks but anyone following the previous thread to this one knows that The Movies along with others pennied out a month or two ago, thanks though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back