Reduced Price Game Guides: Thread Eight(MODS: Please lock, Thread Nine is up)

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, let me welcome you all to the new guide thread. Second, I'd like to ask you all to please keep conversations not pertaining to guide drops or which ones you've grabbed to a minimum to avoid cluttering the thread. It's not that I don't enjoy the chit chat, but that it may stop others from locating information on the newest drops.

That being said, let me thank Cheapy for creating this site, without which I would've spent probably 10 times what I HAVE spent on games and guides. Moreover, let me thank each and every one of my fellow CAGs for continuing to contribute to making this site a great place to find out about sales and clearances of the items we as gamers use most. Without a great community, NONE of this would be possible.

Furthermore, I would like to thank our Wiki editors HeatDolphin and Rocko for updating the Wiki. Great job.

Now, with that out of the way(and before I get to rambling), let's get on to making this new thread.

Useful Information(and links):

Game Guide Trading Clearinghouse(old one, locked now):
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102021

Game Guide Trade Thread(current one):
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175548

PLEASE keep ALL trade requests in there or PM's. Thank you.

Reduced Price Guide Discussion Thread(please keep all conversation NOT related to guide drops HERE. Thanks.): http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169252

Guide Lists:

Master Drop List(by store, alphabetically):
http://wiki.cheapassgamer.com/index.php/Category:Strategy_Guides_%28master_lists%29

Recent Guide Drops(by date):
http://wiki.cheapassgamer.com/index.php/Category:Strategy_Guides_%28recent_drops%29

What is the purpose of this thread?

The purpose of this thread is to let our fellow CAGs know when a guide has dropped to a low price(it's NOT ALWAYS A PENNY), so they can go out and grab guides for themselves and for trading with other CAGs.

Anytime you have guide drops to report, post them here. Please specify at which store you found them and which guides you found and list them in alphabetical order. Thank you.

What are penny guides?

Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a full credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.

Prior Reduced price game guide threads:
Guide Three:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50515&highlight=guide
Guide Four:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1496376
Guide Five:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85976
Guide Six:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116918
Guide Seven:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131717
Guide Seven and a half:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142400

Finally, below is a list of website links, each of which goes to their respective guide page. Whenever possible, I will update the links with better ones(if available).

Amazon
B&N
BestBuy
Borders
BookPool
CircuitCity
Gamestop
Overstock
StrategyGuide.net
ToysRUs

Thanks to floormat, who did threads 3,4,5 and 6 and provided me with the links to them.

Thanks to Gwen for allowing me the honor of giving something back to CAG by doing this new guide thread. I hope you all enjoy it and it isn't TOO hard to read.

[quote name='rarebucky']I've always wondered how shipping something first class vs. media vs. priority actually works it way through the system. Do postal carriers run their route and say "eh, this is media mail and i need to get home for dinner, maybe I'll deliver it tomorrow if I have time"? :) Conceptually the whole thing doesn't make sense to me. But I'm not in the biz so I can't really say.[/QUOTE]

Priority mail will be delivered faster 80% of the time, sometimes they will be delivered about the same, and it will take longer about 1% of the time.

1st Class and Priority are handled about the same--so, if you are shipping something light (like a single game) it is best to use 1st Class because it will be about $2 to $3 instead of $4.75. Use Paypal shipping and delivery confirmation is free on Priority and .18 for 1st class or media.

Media mail CAN take a long time. I once did a guide trade with someone in CA (I'm in WI) and their shipment took 1 month to be delivered.

Partly it depends on how busy they are at the post office . . . media mail is given low priority, so it can be set aside when there are other packages to handle. If you follow the DC#, you can sometimes see a media mail package "park" at a processing center for a week or more--this happens less than 20% of the time.

That said, it makes most sense to use media mail for guides (because of their weight and low priority).

Here's some nice shipping tips:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81097

I remember once when I used medial mail for a guide to another CAG member, and it only took a day. It was really weird.

Also, I wish Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn would just hurry up and drop.

I'm at the mall right now - I'll do a quick check on guides at BB in the next few minutes and let everyone know as soon as I can after I finish.

[quote name='Visc']I'm at the mall right now - I'll do a quick check on guides at BB in the next few minutes and let everyone know as soon as I can after I finish.[/quote]

Thanks for checking! The suspense is KILLING me. :D

This is going to anger everybody. Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn has gone back up to $19.99 according to an instore kiosk. If you see it tagged, $9.99, get it! This also counts for Super Paper Mario (Player's Guide). A tag says $10, but the price check says $15.
I saw an Army of Two guide, didn't want it anyway.

I'm pretty sure there is nothing. I scanned some guides today, but nothing came up. I wasn't however able to scan the Zelda guide being referred to though.

[quote name='Visc']Zip, zilch, nothing, nil. Gonna have to wait a week it seems.[/quote]They have done it over holiday weekends before, so next weekend wouldn't be a shock if they dropped some guide prices.

[quote name='schultzed']Priority mail will be delivered faster 80% of the time, sometimes they will be delivered about the same, and it will take longer about 1% of the time.

1st Class and Priority are handled about the same--so, if you are shipping something light (like a single game) it is best to use 1st Class because it will be about $2 to $3 instead of $4.75. Use Paypal shipping and delivery confirmation is free on Priority and .18 for 1st class or media.

Media mail CAN take a long time. I once did a guide trade with someone in CA (I'm in WI) and their shipment took 1 month to be delivered.

Partly it depends on how busy they are at the post office . . . media mail is given low priority, so it can be set aside when there are other packages to handle. If you follow the DC#, you can sometimes see a media mail package "park" at a processing center for a week or more--this happens less than 20% of the time.

That said, it makes most sense to use media mail for guides (because of their weight and low priority).

Here's some nice shipping tips:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81097 [/quote]

For some reason, my latest guide transaction only took THREE DAYS to arrive at it's destination, compared with up to TWO WEEKS on some prior deals. As for the guides 'sitting' at a location, I've been told that the post office may no longer be scanning DC labels at every stop along the route, but that most times the packages are still in transit.

I remember the one time watching a package that was going to Maryland or Virginia(a state or two away from me only) bounce from my area, to Philadelphia, then all the way down to North Carolina, bounce back up to Philly, then FINALLY about two weeks later arrive at it's destination.

I swear, some of the postal routes that packages follow need some serious revamping, since the shortest distance between two points does not equal a straight line for the USPS.

I hope there is a guide drop next week. I really enjoy trading guides on CAG, and getting ones I would like from the store without paying an arm and a leg :)

[quote name='slowdive21']Did you check the tan zelda guide?[/quote]

Yup. Can't remember the exact price (I think it was about $15), but definately not a penny

I checked today for any notices on guide drops, and didn't see anything. I think I can get a warning on them, because I was looking and they gave a notice for a drop that happened earlier this month, so I don't doubt they'll do it again. I'm not working again until Wednesday, but I will check then. Beauty also, I can post from work as soon as I find out if anything is to post. *fingers crossed*

[quote name='vahn401']I checked today for any notices on guide drops, and didn't see anything. I think I can get a warning on them, because I was looking and they gave a notice for a drop that happened earlier this month, so I don't doubt they'll do it again. I'm not working again until Wednesday, but I will check then. Beauty also, I can post from work as soon as I find out if anything is to post. *fingers crossed*[/quote]Rumors of your demise are greatly exaggerated, it seems. :whistle2:s

Welcome back, long time no see.

There very well could have been rumors, I didn't come around on here for a good 6 months. Like I said earlier in a post, I moved to the install bay at best buy so I don't get the chance to check for guides nearly as often as I used to.

Gamestop today!
One of the local store managers just called me! (I know, I'm very lucky ... )
I'm heading over in a few...
couple sims
kane/lynch
timeshift
etc

"Should I stop in to Gamestop on my way home today?" - Me
"Nah I'd rather just get home." - Me

I suck.
definitely stopping in tomorrow.
Unless they turn out to be suck guides.
Which that mini list seems to be. (to me)

This is all I know of (each GS receives a list specific to the inventory in their respective store, not a complete list)

Prima Spyro the Eternal Night (pocket size)
Prima Time Shift
Prima My Sims
Prima Kane & Lynch
Prima Sims2 Castaway
The Fury (on the list for one store but could not locate the copy)
Prima Need for Speed Pro Street
Brady Blacksite Area 51 (last time?)

All I know of and I have at least one of each in my possession.

I can confirm 3 guides. I caught them right before they were going to toss them into the dumpster:

TimeShift
Kane & Lynch
Need for Speed: Pro Street

I see that Best Buy already pennied NFS: Pro Street & Kane & Lynch back in February. It's about time Gamestop caught up. They didn't give me any of the others because he said the ones they had left were Wii games and they know I don't have a Wii. I didn't want to press the issue on looking at them because they were giving me the other 3 for free. I also didn't try to get multiple copies.

Added the list we have so far of drops from today from GS. Any others that we might have missed?

Oh and donut, I believe Blacksite was the prior drop from GS, since I remember that was the ONLY one I was able to pick up locally. I believe Blacksite was from the January drop.

While not a penny, both the Grand Theft Auto IV and Metal Gear Solid 4 guides are down to $13.99 a pop on Gamestop's site AND you can use your Edge card to save another 10% off it says.

Combine that with possibly being able to use SAVER for free shipping and you can get either guide for $12.60 right now on their site. While not a penny, it's as cheap as you're going to see either guide for for a while.

But, that's the price ONLINE ONLY for both.

Grand Theft Auto IV guide:
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=65240
Metal Gear Solid 4 guide:
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=69640

I wonder if you can use your Edge card with OTHER guides now, since I remember for a few used guides I picked up from various Gamestop stores(which must've been leftovers from when EB still sold used guides), the Edge card stacked.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I believe it only worked on used guides, though if it will work on the GTAIV and MGS4 guides now, maybe it does work on all of them anymore. Can anyone test this?[/quote]

In store, it's 20% off a strat guide when the game is bought (new or used game).
I've even taken my receipt from one store where game was purchased but guide was oos and the store honored the 20% off.

I rarely buy games when they first come out anymore and by the time I do, the guides for them are long since pennied and dumpstered.

Now, if GS and BB would do a promo where if you buy the game, you get the guide for $5 like Fry's I believe did with GTAIV, then they might have a better attach rate of guides to games.

I know about the 20% off the guide thing though, since they whore that out every time I step into a GS and they pimp out the newest pre-order shpeel they're required to say.

But thanks for the info nonetheless donut, since I'm sure some will consider 20% off a deal, whereas I feel that it drops the guide down to what they USED to sell for($15).

Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles also was pennied today at GS.

[quote name='donut']This is all I know of (each GS receives a list specific to the inventory in their respective store, not a complete list)

Prima Spyro the Eternal Night (pocket size)
Prima Time Shift
Prima My Sims
Prima Kane & Lynch
Prima Sims2 Castaway
The Fury (on the list for one store but could not locate the copy)
Prima Need for Speed Pro Street
Brady Blacksite Area 51 (last time?)

All I know of and I have at least one of each in my possession.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='microchip2378']Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles also was pennied today at GS.[/quote]

Oops! yep got one of those also....

I guess as I conduct business at GS tomorrow (selling a ps1 system to someone there while buying a disc only rival schools and imports of bloody roar 1 & 2 from another) I'll be trying to stock up on a few guides. And maybe a game.

EDIT: sold the ps1 system, the other guy forgot his games, then I picked up the following guides - which the staff put aside especially for me (gotta love that):

2 Need for Speed Pro Street
1 Sims 2 Castaway
1 MySims
1 Kane & Lynch
1 Timeshift
1 Umbrella Chronicles

Hit my lucky gamestop (the ONLY gamestop I have EVER gotten a penny guide at - Actually it is the former funcoland I was banned from). Picked up Spiderman 3, the mini Spiro guide, and my sims. I also was given a Devil may cry 4 promo book and a Viking promo book.

My gamestops only ever have 2 or 3guides from recently released games. For instance, for the past couple weeks theyve had mario kart wii and gta4 guides.

[quote name='genfuyung']My gamestops only ever have 2 or 3guides from recently released games. For instance, for the past couple weeks theyve had mario kart wii and gta4 guides.[/QUOTE]

It's possible that the rest are in the back. One of my local GS has that same thing and when I asked about more guides, they said "we keep them in the back. Which one are you looking for?"
I'm not sure if it's designed to reduce clutter, or to keep people from coming in and looking through the guides to get their answers without buying the guide.

Although, if it's the latter, someone should tell those people about FAQ's on teh interwebz.....

This is a really great thread. I really haven't looked into penny guides that much and in the last week and a half, I've traveled to a few Best Buy stores and picked up WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2008 (gave it to a friend), God of War II, Final Fantasy XII Revenant Wings, RE Umbrella Chronicles, Sims and NFS: Carbon.

I've tried getting some of the guides over at GS/EB to no success. Circuit City as well as Toys R Us have no guides listed on the Wiki anymore.

I'm interested in any guides you all may have. PM me with lists and prices.

When is the next Best Buy guide drop? :)

--Michael

[quote name='Civickid96']This is a really great thread. I really haven't looked into penny guides that much and in the last week and a half, I've traveled to a few Best Buy stores and picked up WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2008 (gave it to a friend), God of War II, Final Fantasy XII Revenant Wings, RE Umbrella Chronicles, Sims and NFS: Carbon.

I've tried getting some of the guides over at GS/EB to no success. Circuit City as well as Toys R Us have no guides listed on the Wiki anymore.

--Michael[/quote]

Here's the guide sale/trade thread:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175548

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I believe it only worked on used guides, though if it will work on the GTAIV and MGS4 guides now, maybe it does work on all of them anymore. Can anyone test this?[/QUOTE]

I think it works on all guides now. A few months ago I got the Persona 3 guide for $8.99 (instead of $9.99) when I bought it with a used game and used my Edge card. I rarely buy guides over a penny anymore so I haven't been able to try it since.

[quote name='Civickid96']This is a really great thread. I really haven't looked into penny guides that much and in the last week and a half, I've traveled to a few Best Buy stores and picked up WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2008 (gave it to a friend), God of War II, Final Fantasy XII Revenant Wings, RE Umbrella Chronicles, Sims and NFS: Carbon.

--Michael[/quote]

Actually, I believe there were 1-2 listings in post #2 of this thread for Toys R Us, though most TRU stores are QUICK to eliminate the guides from their shelves and will deny you if you bring up more than ONE guide. And, even then, they may deny you that SINGLE guide or rip off one or both of the covers and let you have the destroyed leftovers.

That's what happened to me when Black and Gran Turismo 4 dropped and I'm STILL stuck with 1-2 copies of each which I don't DARE put on my TL since they're messed up.

I had intended to check guides today but due to the holiday the busses aren't running - could someone else give it a shot?

From this list someone made earlier in the thread..

Army of Two
Condemned 2
Fire Emblem
God of War: CoO
Lost Oddyssey
Orange Box
Zelda Twilight Wii
Pro Soccer 2008
Assasins Creed guide/artbook combo
Assasins Creed guide
FF XII
FF CC
FF war of the lions
Medal of Honor Airborne (with sticker)
Call of Duty 4
Dark Sector
Zelda blue hardcover
Pirates game
Crisis - i think that is what it was called
Oblivion- black with sticker
WOW - scanned like 4 different ones
Pokemon - litte pokepedia
Devil may cry 4
Rock Band 9.99

I only can confirm the following did not drop...

Army of Two
Lost Oddyssey
Orange Box
Pro Soccer 2008
FF XII
FF war of the lions
Call of Duty 4
Zelda blue hardcover
Pirates game

Super Mario Galaxy (soft & Hardcover)
Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (soft)

I'm personally hoping there wasn't a drop this week - this BB has been starting to get a little more difficult to get things from because of mew management and a couple employees. That, and there are still orange hardcover Zeldas here that I friggin WANT.

[quote name='neocisco']Walgreen's has a coupon in their ad this week for Scotch envelopes for 3 for $1, limit 6. Just grab an ad in the store.[/quote]

When's it expire? I won't be near one til Friday.

[quote name='Visc']I'm personally hoping there wasn't a drop this week - this BB has been starting to get a little more difficult to get things from because of mew management and a couple employees. That, and there are still orange hardcover Zeldas here that I friggin WANT.[/quote]

The last orange hardcover is gone at my BB's unfortunately. >_

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back