Reduced Price Game Guides: Thread X(Ten)

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, let me welcome you all to the new guide thread. Second, I'd like to ask you all to please keep conversations not pertaining to guide drops to a minimum to avoid cluttering the thread. It's not that I don't enjoy the chit chat, but that it may stop others from locating information on the newest drops.

That being said, let me thank Cheapy for creating this site, without which I would've spent probably 10 times what I HAVE spent on games and guides. Moreover, let me thank each and every one of my fellow CAGs for continuing to contribute to making this site a great place to find out about sales and clearances of the items we as gamers use most. Without a great community, NONE of this would be possible.

Furthermore, I would like to thank our Wiki editors HeatDolphin and Rocko for updating the Wiki. Great job.

Now, with that out of the way(and before I get to rambling), let's get on to making this new thread.

Useful Information(and links):

Game Guide Trading Clearinghouse(old one, locked now):

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=102021

Game Guide Trade Thread(KEEP ALL TRADE REQUESTS HERE OR IN PM'S):

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175548

PLEASE keep ALL trade requests in there or PM's. Thank you.

Reduced Price Guide Discussion Thread(KEEP ALL DISCUSSION NOT RELATED TO GUIDE DROPS HERE!!!):

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169252

Guide Lists(master drop lists and recent drops):

Master Drop List(by store, alphabetically):

http://wiki.cheapassgamer.com/index.php/Category:Strategy_Guides_%28master_lists%29

Recent Guide Drops(by date,also check the second post in this thread):

http://wiki.cheapassgamer.com/index.php/Category:Strategy_Guides_%28recent_drops%29

What is the purpose of this thread?

The purpose of this thread is to let our fellow CAGs know when a guide has dropped to a low price(it's NOT ALWAYS A PENNY), so they can go out and grab guides for themselves and for trading with other CAGs.

Anytime you have guide drops to report, post them here. Please specify at which store you found them and which guides you found and list them in alphabetical order. Thank you. Please, whenever possible, use RED font to make the drop info stand out. Thanks again.

What are penny guides?

Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a full credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.

Prior Reduced price game guide threads:

Guide Three:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...ighlight=guide
Guide Four:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/....php?p=1496376
Guide Five:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...ad.php?t=85976
Guide Six:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=116918
Guide Seven:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=131717
Guide Seven and a half:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=142400
Guide Eight:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=167157
Guide Nine:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187222

Finally, below is a list of website links, each of which goes to their respective guide page. Whenever possible, I will update the links with better ones(if available).

Amazon
Barnes&Noble
BestBuy
Gamestop
Overstock
Strategyguides.net
ToysRUs

Thanks to floormat, Guinavere and anyone else who has created and maintained the guide thread before, as well as to all of those who find out either advance information on drops or provide a list of which ones dropped when we do have a drop.

The post below this one contains a list going back at LEAST six months of the more current guide drops, which stores they occured at and which ones dropped. Note that sometimes(Oblivion guide, Quake Wars: Enemy Territory)there are multiple versions of a guide, be it that there are Prima versions, Brady versions and the occasional Nintendo and Doublejump guides.

Please specify WHICH version has dropped when mentioning possible guide drops. Thank you.

Common Guide Drop Related Questions(FAQ):

FAQ - If you are new (or a vet with a few questions) look here SECOND! (After reading the above!)

Q: What Are Penny Guides?
A: Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a full credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.

Q: Do all guides from all stores drop at the same time?
A: No. While most chains have nationwide drops within their own store (as in every BB will have the same drops coast to coast), not every different chain drops at the same time (what drops at BB is NOT necessarily dropped at GS). When in doubt, check post TWO for drop info.

Q: I found a penny guide and a clerk denied me! I'ma report 'em!
A: Whoa, hold your horses there, pardner! First of all, not a question. Second, just because something is on the shelf, the clerk does NOT have to sell you that item. Most stores are PRIVATE property and as such can deny you just about anything they want - including a sale. The best advice is to not be rude, not be arrogant, and just try hard to get them to have pity on you.

Q: Why don't the clerks want to sell me their penny guides? Aren't they just throwing them away?
A: As stated above, the stores are ordered by the publisher to trash the guides, and are then given credit for those guides. If they don't do this, the publisher won't give them the credit - it's like losing a sale. On the employee level, selling a penny guide can sometimes get them in trouble (or even fired!) I know it seems silly, but this is their job we're talking about! Respect the man (or woman) behind the counter and you'll get a lot more guides than otherwise!

Q: Should I just ask if the store has penny guides then?
A: No, since that denotes that you have some insider information as to the runnings of these businesses.

Q: What if the clerk wants to know how I know so much about guide drops?
A: If asked where you got your info about guides that pennied, simply say either 'the internet' or 'a friend of mine told me they're on clearance'.

Q: But clerks will know what a penny guide is, right? I can talk to them like anyone else here...
A: Never use the word pennied to ANY store clerks unless you have built up a good rapport with them. Even then, it may seem a little fishy if you know more about their shop than they do.

Q: Are guides labeled as a penny on the shelf?

A: Sometimes. Most times, no. GS seems to label everything that gets a price drop, so often times guides will be stickered. But even so, they most likely won't sell them to you. A sticker does not mean 'have to sell'.

Q: I tried to buy a guide that this thread said was pennied and it didn't ring up as such! What gives?
A: Either 1) Our source was wrong (this rarely happens and is usually verified a FEW times within maybe an hour of posting), or 2) The clerk changed the price. It's usually number 2.

Q: What's the easiest way to get penny guides? This sounds like TONS of work!
A: Best Buy is probably the best place to get guides, followed by GameStop, GameCrazy, Toys R Us and then Blockbuster. From what I've seen though, probably 95% of guides that people get are snagged at BB - the rest come from the other stores. But it never hurts to try!

Q: Has there been a drop recently?
A: If you are asking this question you didn't fully understand the OP - go back and read it once more. When a drop happens, it will be posted, and then placed in the second post - trust us.

Q: How do you guys know so much about penny guides?
A: We sometimes have inside sources with the information from the stores themselves; other times, fellow CAGS just like you or me simply take suspected guides to the register and ask them to ring them up, to check their prices. Feel free to do this yourself, and help give back to the community by telling us what you find! However, DON'T ask "Has anyone checked XXX lately?", unless you are in the right thread (discussion area).

Thanks to GrilledWitOnions for creating the above FAQ, which should eliminate the need for such questions popping up in the thread from this point on out.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Fire_Thief']Oh so they removed my video? Smh.[/QUOTE]

Since you didn't have the common sense to remove it yourself (much less to not make it in the first place), yes, it was removed. Smh.

[quote name='Wolve11']dont ever complain about going offtopic in these again... :)[/QUOTE]

I stopped complaining about the off topic stuff in here a while ago, since it was obvious that it was never gonna stop anyway, along with the 'duhhhhh did anything drop' garbage that was happening about once a week for awhile. It's kind of subsided for now, but once we start seeing drops again, I'm sure it'll restart.

Does anyone know if any of the retail stores are carrying the Bayonetta guide? Obviously it won't drop for a while, but if nobody is selling it, I might as well bite on Amazon now.

Man, Best Buy aren't even trying anymore.
50ed3ee1.jpg

^^haha! I'm suprised it even printed like that! like, it wasn't 0.01 or something like the price stickers when they do put them on the book directly..

My stores do that all the time. FYI I still have penny guides from 3 months ago at my bestbuy.

Dead Space
Little Big Planet
Fallout 3
Probably a few others too.

Yeah, I found a couple of copies of Pikmin Wii guides yesterday. Was psyched, because now I have one to go with the game I just bought. Does anyone else use these guides? I initially got them just for the artwork and trade value, but I used the guides for Spidey: Web of Shadows and Mirror's Edge and found them really helpful. Especially Mirror's Edge, which has stages where it can take hours to work out the ideal running/fighting route otherwise.

I use the guides all the time! I always love to have the guide for each game I own. I need to get Spidey Web of Shadows now b/c I just got that in from Amazon and man, it is the best Spiderman game I've played! Buy yeah, Penny Guide Days are the best!! hope we have one soon. My list keeps on going. I'd love to snag a LBP guide, can't believe Brian9824 still has some around..that Super Book one will be mine when it drops!!

Ack. I want that Fallout 3 guide, but I don't think any of the stores in my area have it.. I got the game over Christmas, plan on starting to play it soon and really would like to have a guide with me, as complex as it seems to be.

[quote name='Bigbob317']Ack. I want that Fallout 3 guide, but I don't think any of the stores in my area have it.. I got the game over Christmas, plan on starting to play it soon and really would like to have a guide with me, as complex as it seems to be.[/QUOTE]

The store I was in had a few dozen copies. I'll swing by later today and see if there are any left and PM you.

[quote name='Mike Toole']The store I was in had a few dozen copies. I'll swing by later today and see if there are any left and PM you.[/QUOTE]

I have a few left over PM me

[quote name='Bigbob317']Ack. I want that Fallout 3 guide, but I don't think any of the stores in my area have it.. I got the game over Christmas, plan on starting to play it soon and really would like to have a guide with me, as complex as it seems to be.[/QUOTE]

I have some left from the last drop PM please

[quote name='Mike Toole']Man, Best Buy aren't even trying anymore.
50ed3ee1.jpg
[/QUOTE]

LOL I've only ever seen ONE shelf tag like that at a Best Buy store and that was 3+ years ago out in Seacaucus, NJ area at a Best Buy that I found by accident when I was still being a major league hoarder of guides.

They had bundles with game/guide in the same store which included guides which had just dropped(Fiddy Cent, some others I don't remember) and I proceeded to liberate the penny guides from the bundles.

I wish my local stores would actually mark them 1 cent on the shelf instead of treating them like some big hush hush secret and denying me anymore when I try for them.

A little hint about the Fallout 3, and other cross platorm titles (PC & XBOX mainly) I think I posted it before. Look in the PC section as well. I've found plenty o guides over there as well. Might not be sold out?

I found a few copies of inFamous but they didn't want to sell one to me because they're supposed to go back to the warehouse. lol I think I'm going to try and pick it up again, but by a couple of things so that the cashier doesn't notice it's a penny.

[quote name='dominator']I found a few copies of inFamous but they didn't want to sell one to me because they're supposed to go back to the warehouse. lol I think I'm going to try and pick it up again, but by a couple of things so that the cashier doesn't notice it's a penny.[/QUOTE]

Good luck with that. Usually once they deny a guide sale to me around here they go back to the guide section and pull the remaining guides for the same game(if there's any left). But the best had to be that messed up drop a while back, where they had 3-5 employees all scanning EVERY guide in the section to make sure they weren't pennied. It was hilarious to see that me buying 5 piddily guides caused such a rush to pull the rest.

Drops at Gamestop today:
They were doing them while I was there--

The only guides I'm sure of are Terminator Salvation and King of Fighters XII, but they had just started.

Did you by any chance skim through the second post? :razz: I ask because those dropped back in October. So apparently the GS you were at are only about 3 months behind on pulling their drops.:roll:

I wish my local GS stores would be like that anymore and allow ones I find to be bought without being mutilated(front/back cover ripped off).

[quote name='detectiveconan16']I'm not sure if this is YMMV, but at my local Gamestop there was a sign for 50% off selected guides. Surprisingly I saw Spirit Tracks (regular edition) as one of them. I didn't snag one, since I was out of money by the time I got there.[/QUOTE]

I also saw a sign for this at a GS around me on Friday. Thought about getting the FO3 GOTY reg ed guide but wanted to double check what amazon was selling it for, which is $17.81[34% off]..saving me about $3 if I get it from GS

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Did you by any chance skim through the second post? :razz: I ask because those dropped back in October. So apparently the GS you were at are only about 3 months behind on pulling their drops.:roll:

I wish my local GS stores would be like that anymore and allow ones I find to be bought without being mutilated(front/back cover ripped off).[/QUOTE]

WOW! You're right. My GS is usually good about pennying them out--and they always give me a heads up. I mean these weren't on their rack, they must have been in the back room or something. But you're right. In any case, there's a chance that there may be more that aren't on that three month old list...I'm going to pop in tomorrow.

[quote name='loserboy']WOW! You're right. My GS is usually good about pennying them out--and they always give me a heads up. I mean these weren't on their rack, they must have been in the back room or something. But you're right. In any case, there's a chance that there may be more that aren't on that three month old list...I'm going to pop in tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

Had a similar happening last weekend. A Best Buy that I go into most every week had two Fable II Hardcover guides appear out of nowhere. Grabbed 'em both (1 to keep and 1 to trade). The cashier was jealous that he missed them but let me buy them with no hassle.

anyone gonna go check BB for drops today...i'd go but have to get off to work but a lunch break would be great for getting sum if anything drops!

idk about drops at BB today..I checked a few online that should be soooo old by now. They were SW:TFU, Prince of Persia, Farcry 2 - all those came up at regular full price. Then I tried Prototype, which I swear I've seen copies of, there was no link, but I don't think that means its been pennied...

WOW i could use a RE5 and Fallout 3 guide for 1 Cent! I would pay a few bucks for each even. I can only find them both for high prices still. I know why ebay is flooded with them now. If anyone gets extra guides i still got about 10 ps2/xbox1 guides i no longer need. I have not bought a 360 guide yet but i should on some games to fully do everything since i beat them already many times.

[quote name='dabamus']Well, is it weird that I had a dream two nights ago about finding 3 ToV guides pennied at GS? :p[/QUOTE]
Did they tear the covers off before they let you have them?

[quote name='PapaSmerf']Did they tear the covers off before they let you have them?[/QUOTE]

No. It was just a very weird dream. :p

Alright, since my newer computer decided to be decent for a bit I'm gonna be making a new thread in a couple of minutes. I may trim down the second post 'Wiki' post to 6 months of drops though, since beyond 6 months(actually more like a month or two) there's really slim to no chance that your stores will have any of the drops listed.

That is, unless your store is wayyyyy behind on pulling them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back