Refurbished PS3 Slims

Feeding the Abscess

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
I've read in a few places about people buying refurbished PS3 Slims... is this true? They just came out a few months ago; are people really confident in buying a system that has already broken and been repaired? Or are people mistakenly applying "refurbished" to new Slims?

Since my question is rather narrow, this thread could also serve as a barometer on the reliability of the Slim. As in, how yours is holding up, if it's helping out with your electricity bill, etc.

Before anyone bothers to bash for me wondering about this, I have a near launch 60 GB that is going just fine. And I'm extremely happy with it.

I think sometime refurbished could mean it was just repackaged, in other term a returned merchandise. May be that what people are buying. I bought a refurbished Itouch awhile back from the apple store and it was like brand new just in different packaging.

My slim is plenty reliable, and I really haven't heard of many problems with them. It froze once during Uncharted 2, but I think that was more to do with the firmware.

Refurbished slim consoles are probably either impulse buy returns or the package was damaged from falling off a shelf in the warehouse. Maybe even systems that didn't pass QC inspection and were reassembled.

I haven't seen the refurbished Slims, but Wednesday I did notice Microcenter selling refurb 80gb PS3s (in their own packaging/box).

Any refurbished slim (as Bad stated) was probably a display model (on about 12 hours a day), an impulse buy or a defect. Either way you're taking your chances (even on a damaged box model).

A price on a refurbished Slim is more than likely about $50 less (if that) than buying a new one (probably with a 90 day or 6 month warranty...after that you're paying $120-$150 to get it fixed). It just makes more sense for those people to just get a new one (and have no worries).

Note about refurbished consoles:
For those of you on the fence about buying a refurbished system, I urge you not to be afraid. I have bought both a PS2 and an 80 Gig Metal Gear Bundle PS3, both refurbished, and both still going strong. Sure, the PS3 has frozen once or twice in its life, but I have yet to have a next gen console not freeze at least once (I'm looking at you, Xbox 360 # 3, which I guess is also technically a refurbished system).

My slim PS3 that I got back in August or September(soon after they came out) has frozen a handful of times on me and the top of the case(towards the back mainly) gets VERY warm(almost hot) after being on for 30-45 minutes.

Other than that I had controller sync issues, but those were caused by that crappy 3.10 firmware they put out a while back. It caused many PS3 slim owners to have the sync issues with controllers.

If you're having any issues with freezing, you might want to restore the file system, which is pretty easy to do.

Just hold down the reset/power button on the PS3 until you hear 4 beeps(3rd n 4th are quick ones) and the menu for reformatting and all comes up. Choose to restore file system and let the system do it's thing.

It takes maybe a minute, after which the system automatically restarts. I believe you may have to plug in your controller and resync it via pressing the PS button after doing this, but that's a minor inconvenience.

You should notice games loading faster after doing this.

If it's an official sony refurbished slim PS3 I say buy it. It's just as good as one off the assembly line. If it's a store refurbished item (i.e. done in house and not by sony) then I say pass on it and just buy a new one.

Apple IMO is the master at refurbishing items. Seriously they give you an item that is as good as new. New screens, metal, casing, and internals. It's pretty much a brand new item. Any time an iphone or ipod is broken they just hand you over a newly refurbished one. They don't even repair your old one for you.

Electronics will break no matter what. There is always a few bad apples in the group of many good ones.

[quote name='Space Cowboy YGI']Any refurbished slim (as Bad stated) was probably a display model (on about 12 hours a day), an impulse buy or a defect. Either way you're taking your chances (even on a damaged box model).[/QUOTE]

The display models are different than the retail versions with their own custom firmware and limitations, so that's out. I know because I have one, and it's limitations piss me off.

------

Nonetheless, I'd do it. I've bought TONS of refurbished products from Fry's Electronics from TV's, Systems, Games (Guncon2), Reciever etc.
I've never had a problem with any of it. In fact, I've had more issues with new products than I have any of my refurbished ones.

If you think about it, refurbished have already been in the shop for the rare error issues that happen when buying a new product. I think it'd be even safer to buy (as long as you still have the default manufacutuer warantee)

-FrankCastleAZ

My slim's been doing quite well. I've not had any problems with it except for controller sync issues. I haven't noticed it getting hot or anything bad.

bread's done
Back