REGION FREE Mushihimesama Futari Ver 1.5 (Platinum Hits) $38.80 shipped @Play-Asia

limelight022

CAGiversary!
Feedback
69 (99%)
Last edited by a moderator:
@joshnorm, I hear ya man. That's why I said in my post if people like this game, they should get it. I have no problem with people getting something they enjoy. I just personally wasn't too thrilled about this kind of an offer. That's why I asked what the big deal was earlier and apparently people aren't too friendly about that sort of thing here.

[quote name='IronZombie']@joshnorm, I hear ya man. That's why I said in my post if people like this game, they should get it. I have no problem with people getting something they enjoy. I just personally wasn't too thrilled about this kind of an offer. That's why I asked what the big deal was earlier and apparently people aren't too friendly about that sort of thing here.[/QUOTE]

So are some aren't its the internet.

[quote name='IronZombie']Nope, you're not the only one. I asked earlier why this kind of game is 80$ (I had no idea about the exchange rate) and I got chewed out by some idiot with a big e-peen apparently.

But I still don't get what the big deal is for this kind of a game. It looks like it's not worth 40$ (at least not to me). If people like it though, I have no problem with them buying it and enjoying it. I just personally did not get it is all. Don't hate on me for that.[/QUOTE]

Just to add...it's generally the replay value and few different modes on the console release that makes shoot'em ups well worth the admission price. Yes, you can credit feed and beat the games in 30 - 40 min, but that's not the point.

On a more on topic note...the Platinum Collection of the game does not come with the Black Label or 1.01 DLC on the disc. You'll still need to buy BL from the marketplace (good luck trying to find an unused 1.01 DLC card without paying an insane price)

[quote name='superdry']Just to add...it's generally the replay value and few different modes on the console release that makes shoot'em ups well worth the admission price. Yes, you can credit feed and beat the games in 30 - 40 min, but that's not the point.

On a more on topic note...the Platinum Collection of the game does not come with the Black Label or 1.01 DLC on the disc. You'll still need to buy BL from the marketplace (good luck trying to find an unused 1.01 DLC card without paying an insane price)[/QUOTE]

Is the DLC on the US marketplace? Or do you need to get Japanese MS points?

While it's region free, will it be in english when I play it on my console or the menu navigation will be easy to understand?

Achievements are in japanese, as is the manual. Afaik the game itself doesn't dive too deep into how scoring works so its best check here (http://www.cave-stg.com/forum/index.php?topic=3.0). Like I said earlier...Id only consider picking this up if your into score attack, the scoring system is a lot of fun once you understand most of it. I wouldn't be fooled by the genre though, the game has a very deep scoring system and modes that make it more than worth a full priced game. Me personally, I wouldve paid hundreds for the game (as a lot of people have in the past for the arcade kits of other Cave games). I guess it all comes down to how much you love them shmups!

As for the DLC, it is available in the US marketplace...id suggest playing 1.51 and arrange on the disc before buying black label...its a great addition and really fast paced, but beginner shmup fans may not think its worth the extra $15.

If you are on the fence, I'd suggest reading up on how to play here (http://www.cave-stg.com/forum/index.php?topic=3.0), maybe youtube some videos, and neogaf put a really nice 1st post together about the game here (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=376352)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='hendrickfan24']am i the only one who thinks $40 is still too much for this game?? i mean it looks like an arcade game to me....but then again im no weaboo[/QUOTE]
Yeah, it looks like an old shooter I'd play at the arcades, maybe a $10/15 XBLA game, but not a $40 game. My only conclusion is that those underaged Japanese animation-style girls are the main selling factor of this game among the people extolling it.

Cool for them, but I kinda grew out of cartoons years ago.

[quote name='IronZombie']Wow.. you HAD to add that last part didn't you..? It's hard I guess for people on forums who think they're above everyone else to be friendly to eachother. You're SOOO cool because you're not a "newbie"! I guess I can't ask a legitimate question about something I don't know without getting called out on it by some loser.
[/QUOTE]

You got the jab because you said something dumb. If you hadn't insulted the genre, no one would have become annoyed with you.

Let's look at why it's dumb (or at least rude) real quick. Game starts at 100% of its retail price. Game is discounted to just under 50% of the original retail price. That's a deal, and it's the kind of thing we post here at CAG. As I said before, Japanese games typically cost a lot, so it's exciting to find a deal on one (especially from a somewhat popular developer). You don't like shooters? That doesn't really factor into why other people are happy about the deal, now does it? When you see a deal that doesn't appeal to you, the best choices are either to politely explain why or just be quiet and move on.

Of course Artego's post was even more ignorant, but apparently I'm going to be here all day if I take apart the thread ****ers.

[quote name='artego']Yeah, it looks like an old shooter I'd play at the arcades, maybe a $10/15 XBLA game, but not a $40 game. My only conclusion is that those underaged Japanese animation-style girls are the main selling factor of this game among the people extolling it.

Cool for them, but I kinda grew out of cartoons years ago.[/QUOTE]
Umm wow. So then Im a pedo for liking a shooter!? Thats like saying people only play GTA for the hookers. Maybe you only play Football games to see men in tight pants? you sir are the definition of a TROLL, why else are you lingering around a thread of a game genre you dont like? Why dont you go to the Madden threads and say football suck? Just LEAVE this thread.

Back on topic: Shooters Rock, "Cartoons" (aka 2D art) Rocks, Cave Rocks. ;)

I never said I didn't enjoy shooters. I in fact enjoy playing different types of shooters. From Black Ops to Ikuraga and Rez which I bought on XBLA, and I did enjoy for a limited time.

I was just commenting on the rationale behind people willing to put $80+ on this kind of game, and what I could conclude was the art was likely the main reason (don't be ashamed cuz sex sells, even 2-D cartoon types!)

[quote name='ultramanJ']Just ordered a copy, that's a tremendous deal! Between this and Guwange I'll be in shooter heaven. I still need to snag a copy of Death Smiles, and hopefully Dodonpachi hits the US XBLA at some point.[/QUOTE]

If you've got a PS3 you can get a Hong Kong PSN account easily and get ps1 DonPachi and DoDonPachi cheap as hell. Plenty of other shooters as well.

[quote name='artego']
I was just commenting on the rationale behind people willing to put $80+ on this kind of game, and what I could conclude was the art was likely the main reason (don't be ashamed cuz sex sells, even 2-D cartoon types!)[/QUOTE]

You should post less. Also note that the deal is $38, not $80.

Was referring to the original version, not the Platinum Hits.

I'm not judging you if you like your cartoon girls, eastx, I'm just commenting. Don't be so uptight ;)

This is one of the best games on the 360. Top five easily.

[quote name='artego']I never said I didn't enjoy shooters. I in fact enjoy playing different types of shooters. From Black Ops to Ikuraga and Rez which I bought on XBLA, and I did enjoy for a limited time.

I was just commenting on the rationale behind people willing to put $80+ on this kind of game, and what I could conclude was the art was likely the main reason (don't be ashamed cuz sex sells, even 2-D cartoon types!)[/QUOTE]

Give me one reason why this game shouldn't be full price.

[quote name='eastx']You got the jab because you said something dumb. If you hadn't insulted the genre, no one would have become annoyed with you.

Let's look at why it's dumb (or at least rude) real quick. Game starts at 100% of its retail price. Game is discounted to just under 50% of the original retail price. That's a deal, and it's the kind of thing we post here at CAG. As I said before, Japanese games typically cost a lot, so it's exciting to find a deal on one (especially from a somewhat popular developer). You don't like shooters? That doesn't really factor into why other people are happy about the deal, now does it? When you see a deal that doesn't appeal to you, the best choices are either to politely explain why or just be quiet and move on.

Of course Artego's post was even more ignorant, but apparently I'm going to be here all day if I take apart the thread ****ers.[/QUOTE]

What did I say that was so rude? I realize it was discounted by 50%. I asked why the original was worth 80$ to people. In my opinion, (and I said this) I didn't understand why people thought it was worth it.

If you had stopped to read any of my other posts you would've realized that it doesn't bother me if other people enjoy the game. I was simply asking what the big deal is. You completely misinterpreted my post and thought "OMG this guy is hating on my game, BLAST HIM" and you couldn't resist but to be a dick about it. And "thread ****ers"? Excuse me? You're the only ignorant one here starting a flame war after I made a simple comment about not understanding what the big deal was on this game. But I guess since you're not a "newbie" then your opinion is much better than mine right?

There are a lot of free games like this and I started loving it. One of them, if I'm correct, is called Touhou Project.
I'm quite intersted in this game, but I'm not sure if they are worth the price for people like me who enjoys Touhou Project.

Japanese cartoon girls aren't my cup of tea, but I wouldn't mind it much as long as the gameplay is good. So leaving that aside, are there any problems for this game? Perhaps, lack of contents?

[quote name='IronZombie']What did I say that was so rude?[/QUOTE]

"Am I the only one here who doesn't get it..? lol. I don't see the value in this game at all. It's a super ridiculously hard space fighter type game from Japan and it costs 80$? Why..?"

It's the attitude and phrasing of your question. You basically dropped in and said, "who would buy this stupid thing?" even though you've admitted that you don't know anything about it.

Anyway. The reason people are willing to pay for this game is that it's a Cave shooter. Where games like R-Type are comparatively slow and atmospheric, Cave's shooters are chaotic as hell and keep you on your toes while blasting loud music. They're also a bit difficult, or at least prohibitively expensive, to track down because up until recently, Cave basically didn't release games outside of Japanese arcades.

Progear no Arashi, ESP Ra.De and DoDonPachi are playable on MAME, and Japanese PS2 ports exist of Espgaluda, DoDonPachi Dai-Ou-Jou, Ibara and Mushihimesama, but the latter two are pretty poor emulations that are filtered and blurry to the point of being virtually unplayable. That was it. The alternative, and still the only option to play a lot of their games, would have been to pay anywhere from $450 (for an older title) up to $2200 (for a newer title) for an original arcade board, plus the cost of the necessary equipment to run it if you didn't already have that stuff. This is not cheap.

The last couple of years have been a bit different, with Cave putting a surprising amount of support behind the 360, and for the first time ever, actually reaching out to U.S. audiences. We haven't gotten everything Japan has, but DeathSmiles was the first Cave game ever released over here, and for Cave to follow up by making Espgaluda II and Mushihimesama Futari region-free is a pretty exciting thing for those us who like their games.

[quote name='insektmute']"Am I the only one here who doesn't get it..? lol. I don't see the value in this game at all. It's a super ridiculously hard space fighter type game from Japan and it costs 80$? Why..?"

It's the attitude and phrasing of your question. You basically dropped in and said, "who would buy this stupid thing?" even though you've admitted that you don't know anything about it.

Anyway. The reason people are willing to pay for this game is that it's a Cave shooter. Where games like R-Type are comparatively slow and atmospheric, Cave's shooters are chaotic as hell and keep you on your toes while blasting loud music. They're also a bit difficult, or at least prohibitively expensive, to track down because up until recently, Cave basically didn't release games outside of Japanese arcades.

Progear no Arashi, ESP Ra.De and DoDonPachi are playable on MAME, and Japanese PS2 ports exist of Espgaluda, DoDonPachi Dai-Ou-Jou, Ibara and Mushihimesama, but the latter two are pretty poor emulations that are filtered and blurry to the point of being virtually unplayable. That was it. The alternative, and still the only option to play a lot of their games, would have been to pay anywhere from $450 (for an older title) up to $2200 (for a newer title) for an original arcade board, plus the cost of the necessary equipment to run it if you didn't already have that stuff. This is not cheap.

The last couple of years have been a bit different, with Cave putting a surprising amount of support behind the 360, and for the first time ever, actually reaching out to U.S. audiences. We haven't gotten everything Japan has, but DeathSmiles was the first Cave game ever released over here, and for Cave to follow up by making Espgaluda II and Mushihimesama Futari region-free is a pretty exciting thing for those us who like their games.[/QUOTE]
All you're doing is speculating on my "attitude." My wording did not diss anyone for wanting to play the game. I never referred to it as a stupid game. I did say it looked like a ridiculously hard space shooter. Is that synonymous with "stupid?" I don't know where you learned English but I don't believe the 2 are related.

And you know something, what you said, explaining why people like it and all. That's the kind of answer I was looking for. That's the kind of answer I wanted after asking my question. The other guy completely took it the wrong way and started throwing out names and attacking me personally. I just don't understand some people.. can't have an opinion on video games anymore without people getting mad.

[quote name='IronZombie']All you're doing is speculating on my "attitude." My wording did not diss anyone for wanting to play the game. I never referred to it as a stupid game. I did say it looked like a ridiculously hard space shooter. Is that synonymous with "stupid?" I don't know where you learned English but I don't believe the 2 are related.[/QUOTE]

It has nothing to do with speculation, but how you present yourself. Like your response above, particularly the "I don't know where you learned English" bit? It's a pretty rude and condescending way to reply to someone who could have just said something nasty to you, but instead made a pretty clear effort to write a level-headed response.

Maybe you are being misinterpreted, but if this many people didn't understand that you meant it as an innocuous question, then shouldn't that tell you that you probably didn't phrase your question very well?

[quote name='insektmute']It has nothing to do with speculation, but how you present yourself. Like your response above, particularly the "I don't know where you learned English" bit? It's a pretty rude and condescending way to reply to someone who could have just said something nasty to you, but instead made a pretty clear effort to write a level-headed response.

Maybe you are being misinterpreted, but if this many people didn't understand that you meant it as an innocuous question, then shouldn't that tell you that you probably didn't phrase your question very well?[/QUOTE]
Who is "this many people" exactly? It's you and that other guy. Nobody else seems to have a problem with a simple question that I asked. And I know I was a bit condescending in my remark but that's because I'm being met with condescending remarks for no reason. See, this is how flame wars start. This never had to happen. I don't understand why people have to start stuff like this.

We've explained it pretty well (and we includes more than two people, at that). If you still don't understand, you may just never get it. But Insektmute's response was very patient and detailed, so maybe you should reread it and adjust the way you communicate here accordingly. If you're as sensitive as you purport, it would definitely be smart to speak/type less abrasively. That would reduce the chance of people becoming annoyed, chastising you, and subsequently hurting your feelings.

So tempted to get this... I actually really enjoyed Deathsmiles; I think I prefer side scrolling shmups to vertical ones, but I'd love to finally play it. Thanks OP!

If you're looking for another more economical 360 bullet hell game, Triggerheart Exelica is on the U.S. Live Marketplace for 800 Microsoft Points. It has a demo, too.

[quote name='eastx']We've explained it pretty well (and we includes more than two people, at that). If you still don't understand, you may just never get it. But Insektmute's response was very patient and detailed, so maybe you should reread it and adjust the way you communicate here accordingly. If you're as sensitive as you purport, it would definitely be smart to speak/type less abrasively. That would reduce the chance of people becoming annoyed, chastising you, and subsequently hurting your feelings.[/QUOTE]
I believe you need to take some of your own advice. I became annoyed at you for being condescending and flat out arrogant in your first response. That's all. You had nothing better to do apparently than flame me for asking about your precious bullet hell game, so I followed it up with my own condescending response. I think you should reread your own responses and adjust your way of communication, you seem to be annoying people just as much as you claim I'm annoying people.

Whatever though, I understand why people want this game, it was explained about a page and a half ago. But nobody's truly explained why you're such a jack***. I guess that's something we'll never know ;) good day sir.

Finally was able to get an order in. Play-Asia does not like my credit card for some reason. It took my wife's no problem. Thanks to Mana for the 5-off-50 coupon - I paired the game with the Pokemon Black/White soundtrack, which I hope my kids will be thrilled about. They can't get the game for xmas in English, but they can have the soundtrack and they like pokemon music.

i'm going to wait until i'm done playing black ops and hot pursuit to get this. it'll most likely still be available for a while.

Man some(not all) of the newbies in this forum need to post less they sound ridiculous. $38 for this game is a steal.

This game is not for the average xbox 360 halo kid that dies every second or the guy I can beat in marvel by triangle jumping repeatedly.

This game is for people that enjoy a challenge, scoring, and going for a 1cc.(just like a CAG said earlier)

[quote name='mrbomb']I'll probably pick this up if Do Don Pachi Resurrection is region locked.[/QUOTE]

Espgaluda and futari are the only ones that are not region locked

[quote name='clickpow']This game is not for the average xbox 360 halo kid that dies every second or the guy I can beat in marvel by triangle jumping repeatedly.

This game is for people that enjoy a challenge, scoring, and going for a 1cc.(just like a CAG said earlier)[/QUOTE]

Hey now, just cause some games can be mashable, doesn't mean there's no skills involved. People like different things.

However, there are people who buy madden every year at release. And people who don't know Japanese prices. Single dvd volumes are like $30-$50+.

[quote name='macuseros9']damn, i just bought this at bookoff for 5500 yen two months ago.
Well worth it though.[/QUOTE]

I scooped up the LE for ¥6200 (used) from Sofmap in Akihabara a few weeks ago while on vacation.... I'm assuming it was impossible to find a SE because of the re-release... basically got me a $30 soundtrack... oh wells ^_^

[quote name='dn3g3l']are there any games like this that's out for the ps3?[/QUOTE]

I don't believe by CAVE. SHMUPS have been really focused on the 360 this generation.

[quote name='joshnorm']I don't believe by CAVE. SHMUPS have been really focused on the 360 this generation.[/QUOTE]

Which is very strange considering how unsuccessful the 360 has been in Japan......

[quote name='dn3g3l']are there any games like this that's out for the ps3?[/QUOTE]

Check out the Gundemonium Collection on PSN.

[quote name='Gabrius']Which is very strange considering how unsuccessful the 360 has been in Japan......[/QUOTE]

I think it's because they're really easy to port to 360, and what little Japanese userbase the 360 has is very hardcore.

[quote name='Gabrius']Which is very strange considering how unsuccessful the 360 has been in Japan......[/QUOTE]

These companies know that they have a dedicated, niche following of 10-20k people. Once these games started coming out on 360, the audience was established and that's where all of the support went.

IIRC, Arika tried to release Ketsui on the PS3 after they canceled the PS2 version, but they were denied because Sony didn't want old 2D games on their new HD console.

If you all enjoy this, I recommend checking out Guwange, also by Cave, on the XBLA. It was released last week and is only $10. It got no support anywhere (not even a mention on the dashboard) so it seems a lot of people didn't even realize it was out.

Its different compared to their other shooters, but imo its still a lot of fun.

[quote name='darkslime']i'm going to wait until i'm done playing black ops and hot pursuit to get this. it'll most likely still be available for a while.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't count on it. Once this sells out that's it, and then the only available copies will be on ebay, where the prices are around $80.

[quote name='eastx']I think it's because they're really easy to port to 360, and what little Japanese userbase the 360 has is very hardcore.[/QUOTE]

I believe the reason was because they were allowed to port them over in straight ports while PS3 wanted something else. I could be wrong about that but I think I read that somewhere (which means it could be absolute BS)

[quote name='eastx']I think it's because they're really easy to port to 360, and what little Japanese userbase the 360 has is very hardcore.[/QUOTE]

Not really. Sony had Cave had a trouble.
Sony requires any shooters to achieve certain "quality" and apparently they don't think of Cave's shooters as one of the kind.
They are very strict about this type of genre.

To put the whole Arika/SCE PS3 mess in perspective, this happened at the very early stage of PS3 development when developer kits were still scarce.

Sure it sucks that Arika got snubbed, but anyone in SCE's shoes at the time would have prioritized developers making original HD titles for PS3 launch as opposed to someone doing a port of an SD title for a niche (even in Japan) market.

Mamoru-kun is being redone for the PS3. Not so much as a bullet-hell shooter, but more like Pocky and Rocky (Kiki Kaikai).

Just to add to the discussion:
CAVE and 5pb wanted to release games on XBLA, but Microsoft denied them (something about cutting down on faithful arcade ports for XBLA)...thus the games getting a retail release. In way, it was a blessing getting these game as retail packages instead of downloading them. It jives more with the collector mentality shmup players have.

I do wonder why MS ok'd Guwange for XBLA....

[quote name='enforcer2003']To put the whole Arika/SCE PS3 mess in perspective, this happened at the very early stage of PS3 development when developer kits were still scarce.

Sure it sucks that Arika got snubbed, but anyone in SCE's shoes at the time would have prioritized developers making original HD titles for PS3 launch as opposed to someone doing a port of an SD title for a niche (even in Japan) market.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but Sony has always done stuff like that to developers. They've holding back 2D games for years, especially in America.

Hella excited for my copy to show up. Between this and Espgaluda II being region-free, and Guwange and DeathSmiles being localized, I'm really hoping this is a sign that Cave wants to bring more over. I won't get my hopes up, but it would especially nice if we could get Pink Sweets & Muchi Muchi Pork and/or DoDonPachi Daifakkatsu over here.

bread's done
Back