Regular and GH/PH/PC Version of Games Switched At Used Retail

Cleaner7

CAGiversary!
Feedback
52 (100%)
So I was at Gamestop last week looking for some older PS2/Xbox/GC games and managed to pick Fable: The Lost Chapters along with a few other games. I already own Fable, but figured I'd see what new content was in The Lost Chapters before Fable 2 comes out.

Right now I decided to test Fable: TLC and when it loaded up it looked the same as the regular Fable disc. You see I figured the main menu might appear differently than the regular Fable disc. Anyways, I signed into Live and when I tried to see if the "Demos" section worked, the game froze. Naturally, I turned off my 360, restarted it, and took the disc out.

This is when I took a long hard look at the disc and realized it had no Silver/Platinum lining across the top of it. All of my Xbox games are non-PH so I didn't know if maybe Microsoft didn't mark their PH discs like Sony marked their GH disc with the red lining at the top, but that idea sounded odd as well. Next I decided to look for a picture of the Fable: TLC disc online.

Found a picture on eBay here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Fable-The-Lost-Chapters-Xbox-Complete-Excellent_W0QQitemZ150147281506QQihZ005QQcategoryZ62053QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
and it's definitely different than the regular Fable disc and has a clearly visible platinum lining at the top. The manual looks the same as the regular manual w/ no markings, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Basically, GameStop sold me the Fable: TLC case, but the regular Fable disc + manual.

Just curious if this has happened to anyone else. And also wanted to use this opportunity to warn any other potential buyers of this game or similar deals about making sure they get the correct disc/game.

Anyways, the GS that I went to had 2 other cases for TLC so I'll go back tomorrow and see if maybe the guy just grabbed the wrong disc or if they have any of the real TLC discs.

P.S. I did a search and didn't find anything about people's games being switched for the wrong version. Sorry if I missed any previous threads on this topic.

I haven't bought a used game from EB/GS in a long, long time until yesterday, when I asked for one of those $9.99 used PS2 games. Thing is, I specified non-Greatest Hits from the start and got the case, manual and disc all non-GH. That's probably something to look out for next time before they just take a copy of the game out from their massive array of drawers and shelves.

The person working probably just gave you the regular Fable disc on accident.

All the used games are put in sleeves and then put in the drawer. They probably had a mix of TLC and regular editions of Fable in there.

Also keep in mind that Fable and Fable TLC are the same SKU in GS's system... The Lost Chapters disc could possibly be long gone since then...

Just take it back and ask if they have a lost chapters disc to swap it with, if not, just return it.

[quote name='Radioactive_Man']Actually GS only has one sku for Fable in used. The person just made a mistake.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm I was wondering about that. After I noticed the switch/mix-up I looked at my receipt and noticed it just said Fable.

This isn't surprising. Sometimes they usually don't carry reprinted versions of games that have extras in the reprints to avoid situations like this (hence why you will NEVER find a Greatest Hits version of Dragon Ball Z Budokai 3 in GS). Unfortunately, it's bound to happen anyways. I had the exact same thing happen to me. I bought TLC and ended up with just Fable. Returned it and tried to swap for TLC. They didn't have any used copies (yet had the case), so they just tossed a new copy my way instead since it is being considered as the same game in the system.

If there's nothing different about the games between the GH/PH/PC and normal versions, i'll grab whatever's cleanest. If they complain and say that they want a non-greatest hits disc, no problem. But the majority of people just want the game and don't care either way.

This is why you check everything you've bought either before you leave the store, or in the car in the parking lot. Employees make mistakes, it happens. Im sure they will give you the correct disc if you explain to them what happened.

And stuff like this has happened to me before. Most recently I bought Call of Duty 3: gold edition (or whatever the special ed is called) for the 360, and they gave me the regular cod3 disc. Luckily I checked as I was walking out of the store and they quickly swapped in the correct disc.

bread's done
Back