Regular memory cards for DC?

Limitbreaker02

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Were there any regular 1st party memory cards for the DC...and not the VMUs because I don't like the idea of it using batteries.

I just got a hold of a used DC with one controller and would like to purchase 3 more controllers and a memory card or two.

I don't think there were any 1st party memory cards that weren't vmus. But with you're still able to save with the vmu even without the battery. My vmu batteries died out a long while ago and I haven't had any problems. If you do decide to go 3rd party, stay away from the Interact Mega memory card, its a POS.

[quote name='dcfox']I don't think there were any 1st party memory cards that weren't vmus. But with you're still able to save with the vmu even without the battery. My vmu batteries died out a long while ago and I haven't had any problems. If you do decide to go 3rd party, stay away from the Interact Mega memory card, its a POS.[/quote]

Cool, I didn't know it still saved even if the batteries died. It helps to know that.

And thanks Tom, I'm getting 3 preplayed DC controllers and a VMU from ebgames.
Total - $9.32 thanks to the CAG15 and SAVER codes. And to think I was going to buy them used off of ebay...

Yes there was, it was a larger card. Dunno how hard they are to find now tho.

But like dcfox said, the batteries aren't necessary to save, only to play the mini-games with the card out of the system. While the card is plugged into the controller, it's fully powered by the system.

And I think the VMUs are sexy anyway. ;)

[quote name='Limitbreaker02'][quote name='dcfox']I don't think there were any 1st party memory cards that weren't vmus. But with you're still able to save with the vmu even without the battery. My vmu batteries died out a long while ago and I haven't had any problems. If you do decide to go 3rd party, stay away from the Interact Mega memory card, its a POS.[/quote]

Cool, I didn't know it still saved even if the batteries died. It helps to know that.

And thanks Tom, I'm getting 3 preplayed DC controllers and a VMU from ebgames.
Total - $9.32 thanks to the CAG15 and SAVER codes. And to think I was going to buy them used off of ebay...[/quote]

Damn only $9.32, maybe I'll do the same thing. (I also picked up a DC with just one controller and no VMU.) Don't really have any games I want to play on it though :)

[quote name='argyle']Yes there was, it was a larger card. Dunno how hard they are to find now tho.

But like dcfox said, the batteries aren't necessary to save, only to play the mini-games with the card out of the system. While the card is plugged into the controller, it's fully powered by the system.

And I think the VMUs are sexy anyway. ;)[/quote]

I have 2 of these big ones made by Sega. They aren't VMUs (no LCD display screen) so they are only good for saving games. They became very hard to find shortly before Sega discontinued the DC. These cards rock, great for archiving your saves. For regular games I still recommend using the normal VMUs though, since the big cards do not support LCD interaction during gameplay.

dc4xmemcard.jpg
It like the off brand 4x cards, but didnt do the bad compression thing.

[quote name='Wshakspear']
dc4xmemcard.jpg
It like the off brand 4x cards, but didnt do the bad compression thing.[/quote]

Thats very nice! Never seen one before. Where did you find that?

[quote name='TomCloud9']Thats very nice! Never seen one before. Where did you find that?[/quote]

That pic i found at dreamcast history (i think).

I never actually owned one. I have 10 VMU's, so i really have no use for it right now :)

Sega did make a larger card. The problem with that is that it was 4x the size of a VMU but it was broken into 4 piecies. To switch to a diffrent section you would have to hit a button on the top of the card. A corresponding light would indicate what bank you were on. It was pretty cool. I believe I paid $30 for it when they first released it. Now it sadly rests in the bottom of my closet with my other DC stuff.

RIP Dreamcast.

I got an Sega brand 4x card for like 5 bucks at Gamestop. Like the last poster said, when the sega 4x card came out it cost alot.

bread's done
Back