Remember when we all hated Raiden?

saadman

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I was reading an article about Kojima's keynote from the GDC last week
(can be found here: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/966/966725p1.html) and it discussed that the next Metal Gear game could focus around Raiden (which for those of us who played MGS4 sort of expected).

As I was reading it though, I found it interesting that we all have near universal approval of Raiden now. I remember a good 7 years ago, every single fanboy on the planet wanted to rip his face off.

Kojima stated in an interview before MGS4 came out that "for those of you who hated Raiden before, you will finish this game absolutely loving him."

Well done Kojima, well done.

Yeah, he is cool in MGS4. I was waiting the whole time to play as him and never got the chance. I guess we will see in the next MGS, which if you watched Kojimas keynote, it sounds pretty promising.

I never hated Raiden. I thought he was cool going into MGS2. I'm glad he turned out to be an awesome character in the end. I just hope they do justice to him and it's not a crappy spin off.

I never had problems with Raiden. I don't know why people got their panties in a bunch over him. He wasn't that bad.

i didnt like him in mgs2 and i really didnt like him in mgs4. itd have been one thing if you coul dhave used him in mgs4 but you cant so you spend all your time seeing these ridiculous cutscenes with him ninjaing all over the place and what was supposd to be cool looked silly as shit.

at least the first ninja in mgs1 was cool he did his thing an it was awesome to see. raiden just looked like an idiot. ive mgs 1-4 ( didnt finish 3) and imo the characters and boses from the first are the best. not bcause of how they looked but because they were interesting.

theres nothing worse than playing a game and seeing yoru character do something or other characters do things you know you cant do in game.

[quote name='Thongsy']I never hated him, I hated Rose. Calling every five minutes to talk about that day.[/quote]

LOL. I hated Raiden for all of like 5 min. It was all: What the hell? Snake? Snaakke? SNAAAKKKEEEEEEE!! And then I played a bit more and ran into Pliskin. Rose though... Ugh, by the time the game was over I wanted to strangle her.

I'm also ambivalent towards Raiden. I just wanted to come in here and whine about who thought it was a good idea to make MGS4 based around the PS1 era premise that FMV all the time is the way to go...damn...back to playing Subsistence...

[quote name='zenprime'] Rose though... Ugh, by the time the game was over I wanted to strangle her.[/quote]

Maybe the next game you play as her? You follow Raiden around, and spy on him...occasionally calling him. Press "X" to say "Jack, are you OK?" press "O" to say "Jack, whats the matter" press Triangle to say "Jack, I'm pregnant. Should we keep it? I don't know if I'm ready and you've been so stressed at work. Also, I feel like we are just becoming so...distant. You better stay to help me take care of this baby you bastard! Jack? Jack? I love you. Jack, I love you. *cries* You bastard! I hate you! I hate you! ...oh Jack...do you...do you love me?"

Yeah, I dont think it will be as big a hit.

I would like to see Raidens story line from the end of MGS:2 up untill he reunites with snake. I know it wont happen but it would be nice to see, how they found ut where sunny was, and how Raiden managed to rescue her.

[quote name='whitereflection']Am I the only one who thought of Mortal Kombat's Raiden? I always hated his Superman move, you can't even duck under it.[/quote]
On the one hand, I am not alone.
On the other hand, someone beat me to posting this. Dammit!

I never had a problem with Raiden, he was pretty cool.

I probably sympathized with him because I was in my mid teens at the time or something.

He was excellent in MGSIV.

I hated Raiden. He was a whiny bitch of a protagonist. And I still don't really care for him. Kojima redeemed him a little bit by making him a completely different character... completely (and conveniently) dismissing what he was before.

I hated Raiden because it was obvious that Snake's story wasn't done. After everything that Snake had been through up to that point, I don't think anyone actually thought that he drowned in the Hudson after Ocelot stole Metal Gear Ray.

Now that Snake's story is done, I have no problem with Raiden taking over in his place.

I liked Raiden, I felt that he needed his own game, and now I definitely think he needs his own, Ninja Gaiden esq game.

I hated Raiden... he completely ruined MGS2 for me (well, he and that ridiculous "story"). It's was as if I was playing the latest Zelda game but after the first hour, you lose control of Link and have to finish the game playing as Tingle.

But yeah, Raiden was a complete badass in MGS4.

[quote name='whitereflection']Am I the only one who thought of Mortal Kombat's Raiden? I always hated his Superman move, you can't even duck under it.[/QUOTE]

This.:lol::applause:

[quote name='The Crotch']On the one hand, I am not alone.
On the other hand, someone beat me to posting this. Dammit![/quote]
At first I thought he meant the shmup, then I thought of the fighter. The god of thunder gets around in the gaming world.

I've never really cared about any of the MGS characters (or story for that matter). I always thought they got in the way of the great gaming action and, if anything, detracted from the game because they (and the story) were so poorly constructed.

[quote name='lokizz']so raiden is to the mgs what mutt was to the indy franchise?[/quote]
If so, let us hope this next game is not a Crystal Skull.

I still hate MGS2 raiden. it's basically a different character now. you could replace mickey mouse with the terminator for the same effect.

[quote name='manthing']I hated Raiden and still do.

I refuse to beat MGS2 because of him.[/quote]

you didnt miss anything at al. definelty one of the worst all time endings not to mention boss fights ive ever experienced. i think that was when you realized kojima was either buying into his own hype or had fuckin lost his mind.

bread's done
Back