Removing PS Guard

989boi

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Anybody ever encounter this annoying spyware?? I figure it might have got into my pc when my cousin was online on my pc for the whole day. I'm tryin to remove this spyware but none of the spyware prog or mcafee is detecting it. Everytime I load up IE, it would take me to the PS Guard page instead of Yahoo. I even changed the home page directory back to yahoo and still encountered this. Thank goodness that I use Firefox. The most annoying thing about this spyware is that I would also get system alerts about stupid PS Guard. So far I have no luck removin it.

So far I've used Ewido, Ad-adware, Spyware Doctor, Spybot. Spyware Doctor I would reccomend as it detected a lot of other spywares that the other progs didnt pick up. Oh yeah AOL spyware protection picked up some spywares that none of these picked up either. Either way, after using all these spyware progs I still couldn't remove PS Guard from my pc. I've got the pop ups, system alerts, and that triangle exclaimation point icon on the system tray to stop popping up by finding some program named "mssearchnet.exe". After finding it, I went onto safe mode and deleted it from there and it solved most of my problems. Now the only problem I have left is stopping ps guard to hacking my homepage to redirect to theirs. I think I found the file for it and tried deletin it but it keeps coming back with a new file name everytime.

PC mag rates the Spy Sweeper as pretty much the best one out there, however I think it costs like $20. Sounds like you have covered the basics and it still remains. I also use the Spyware blaster which is freeware that was recommended by pcmagazine which can stop the spyware before it can install on your system. Good luck to you.

I think you have to delete some registries to get PS Guard completely off. I had that, and AntiVirus Gold (i think that was the name of it) stuck on my system, and I must say I was really annoyed...I eventually got help on some boards that help you figure out HijackThis logs. So if you want to try: download HijackThis, run a scan and save the log. Post it on a few boards (I posted on geekstogo.com and http://forums.tomcoyote.org) and wait. I only say to post it on boards to get help cause I dunno how much you know about what should and shouldn't be deleted, sometimes it's obvious, sometimes it's not.

Hope you can solve your problem soon!

Problem now SOLVED:

-Reboot into Safe Mode
-Ran Hijack this and checked the ".tmp" file
-Ran SmitRem
-Then ran Ad-aware
-Finally ran Ewido
-Reboot back into XP

It was weird...before this I tried deleting the ".tmp" file and everytime I would reboot it would come back as a diff file name. Now after doin all this its gone.

bread's done
Back