Removing Sticker Residue

Kekumba

CAGiversary!
Yeah, I know, search button.. whatever.

Anyway, what do you guys use to get that damn sticker residue off your game cases? Usually I just say forget it, no big deal, but after putting dents in my MLB 09 case while trying to get it off...I'd figured I'd ask, it's driving me nuts.

Rubbing alcohol and a cotton ball works great quickly. Another good one is peanut butter. Cover the residue in peanut butter and let is sit for a couple of hours. The oil in the PB will break down the sticker goo. Then just wipe it off.

In both scenarios, do remove the case insert and the manual beforehand so you don't get them wet/greasy :)

I use a substance called Goo Gone. Just make sure whatever you use, you take the cover, disk and book out of the case and give the case some time to dry before you put them back in

The best solution I have found is to go out and buy bumper sticker remover. You can find it at most hardware/automotive stores. I personally got mine from Canadian Tire. All you have to do is spray that stuff on and wait a minute or two, and then the sticker and all it's residue comes clean off. It's quite amazing really. Obviously as mentioned above remove any cover inserts and such before applying.

[quote name='Corizzle']I use a substance called Goo Gone. Just make sure whatever you use, you take the cover, disk and book out of the case and give the case some time to dry before you put them back in[/QUOTE]

Yup, Goo Gone is fantastic.

Nail polish remover, Goo Gone and Bumper sticker remover are all very good. I prefer the Bumper sticker remover but if i recall its a bit pricey.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Goo Gone is great for that. It's really just a great product to have around the house, in general.[/quote]

This and this again.

For two and a half toonies, you get just about a life time supply of the stuff; just don't sniff the fumes
too much

Winnopeg: Different residue, but you can bunch it up into a clump with your finger then either take it off with your fingers or with a piece of tape.

Yeah I just use Goo Gone and it works really well. Does leave your case smelling like oranges for a little while though.

[quote name='bs000']I use cellophane tape. Take a piece and rub it on the sticker and peel it off. Repeat until it's clean.[/quote]

I do almost the same thing, only I use the same sticker that was already on the case, peel it off, then put it back on and rip it off again faster, and repeat till its all gone.

[quote name='FarmhouseMedia']Yup, I have to agree. Lighter fluid works great.[/quote]

I also use lighter fluid, only downside is that it doesn't smell very good once you're done! :lol:

I am going to add another recommendation to Goo Gone.

PC267090.jpg

This thing has been a godsend for my days of rummaging through used games.

[quote name='Winnopeg']Somewhat related: what about the residue left by the sticker on Rogers discs? Same thing?[/QUOTE]If it's the shiny sticker with black/clear lettering, just use the same sticker to take the remaining residue off.

[quote name='JaredFrost']I do almost the same thing, only I use the same sticker that was already on the case, peel it off, then put it back on and rip it off again faster, and repeat till its all gone.[/QUOTE]

+1. This works for me over 90% of the time and you don't have to resort to chemicals.

[quote name='WillGabriel']+1. This works for me over 90% of the time and you don't have to resort to chemicals.[/quote]

Yeah, I do this too. Just stick it back on, peel, and repeat several times.

The lighter fluid removed the sticker residue from my case, but also melted some of the plastic. Is this common? :lol:

One tip. When I trade in game I usually go through all my games to see if I have any games I plan to keep that have stickers on the cases. My trade in games are usually have new case because I bought them cheap just to try them out. I trade the cases of used games for new ones and send the sticky stickered cases back to EB to let them deal with them.

There's a clone to Goo Gone which is exactly the same, but comes in a bottle with a scraper-cap (end of cap with a scraper) and it is dispensed through this... sponge thing. I don't know what to call it, but basically you can hold the bottle upside down and none will come out. However, you dab it on the case and just a little comes out. You can control how much to use, and it lasts so much longer. I still have 1/4 a bottle left even after removing stickers from hundreds of my games when I went through a month ago to clean them up. Also, it's very nice for GBA boxes (so you don't stain the box with too much liquid, although it doesn't seem like the substance would stain the box for whichever reason)

If anyone wants to know the brand, I can take a look at the bottle when I got home.

Goo Gone may ruin your plastic, as will many of the chemical methods listed.

Using tape is a great method if you can get it to work.

I've had some luck with Puffs + Lotion tissues (or any derivative).

I am a little OCD if you couldn't tell.

One of the best ways I've ever encountered was using a hair dryer and then dabbing the sticker against the residue after.

[quote name='willardhaven']Goo Gone may ruin your plastic, as will many of the chemical methods listed.[/quote]

Kind of doubt that, considering I've used it on about 3 dozen cases over the last couple of years without any issues. If anything, I'm sure it could, if you just let it sit there for a few hours, but I don't think anyone plans on doing that.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Kind of doubt that, considering I've used it on about 3 dozen cases over the last couple of years without any issues. If anything, I'm sure it could, if you just let it sit there for a few hours, but I don't think anyone plans on doing that.[/quote]

Goo Gone will take the shine right off jewel cases (PS1, DC). Try running your finger across a case that was treated with Goo Gone.

[quote name='willardhaven']Goo Gone will take the shine right off jewel cases (PS1, DC). Try running your finger across a case that was treated with Goo Gone.[/quote]

I can say first hand that the Goo Gone will make PS2/This Gen cases feel very smooth. They won't ruin the plastic, but the feeling of the petroleum will be there. Goo Gone is still the best thing to remove sticker residue if you ask me.

Goop.

http://www.goophandcleaner.com/

The original hand cleaner cream is awesome. Non-caustic, non-toxic, and thick enough so it won't run. And as far as I can recall, it will not damage plastic in any way, even if you use quite a bit of elbow grease. I've always used it around the house for removing paint or grease from my hands.

If you're taking the sticker off yourself (not sure it works if the sticker's already off and the residue is there) I use a hair dryer to get the area really warm, then use some brown packing tape to try to pull off any residue, because packing tape is really sticky.

[quote name='willardhaven']Goo Gone will take the shine right off jewel cases (PS1, DC). Try running your finger across a case that was treated with Goo Gone.[/quote]
This is true for old CD jewel cases it seems to make them look not as shiny and it changes the color slightly. I used goo-gone on one my copy of Resident Evil 1 and it has changed the shine/color slightly but it still is better than sticker residue as over time the sticker residue tends to pick up lint ect and generally looks dirty. As far as new game cases go (DVD style or Blu-Ray) I don't think goo-gone effects it at all as I have done many cases over the last 3 years and seen no negative effect.

That's why you just dab enough of the stuff to soak the sticker, let it sit for a few minutes then peel off. At worst there'll be a residue which can easily be cleaned off with a dab of soap and a wipe.

I find the tape method works without resorting to any chemical. Make sure you have large surface of tape to peel off the residue.

bread's done
Back