rent games by mail?

I think renting games like this is a waste... $17 or whatever it costs a month and nothing to show for it at the end. Plus some months are busier than others and there's less time to play games.... I guess for an old fart like me who has a job and not a lot of free time it isn't that good of a deal. Maybe if I was still in college or something...

so many games are just not worth a second look though

this may be a good way to try them all and buy (used) the cream of the crop

for instance... Castle of shikagami(sp?) for PS2
rent it from them for a couple of bucks and then they let you keep it for like ten bucks if you like it!
That's a great policy! and good for games i don't want to track down by doing the footwork.

Just finnished up at trial with gamerang.com, took a couple of days for me to get my games but it took 5-6 days for them to recieve the games back after I put them in the mail. Which is really disappointing because they get sent to NJ which shouldnt take 5 days

[quote name='javeryh']I think renting games like this is a waste... $17 or whatever it costs a month and nothing to show for it at the end. Plus some months are busier than others and there's less time to play games.... I guess for an old fart like me who has a job and not a lot of free time it isn't that good of a deal. Maybe if I was still in college or something...[/quote]

Old fart with a job & not a lot of free time?? What are you, a whopping 24?!?
I would rather try multiple games out for $20 a month and get a discounted price on them if I want to keep them than take a risk at buying a total piece of crap.

I highly recommend it (Gamefly). This recommendation comes from an "old fart" that works ALL THE TIME (hence my low post number).

I tried GamerANG free for a month....it was HORRIBLE...cancelled before the month was up

Now, I have a month long GAMEFLY account. It is ok, but I will NOT continue with it. Jus tnto really worth it to me. I get free rentals through blockbuster.com (2 free in-store rentals per month if you use the service)

I guess it's good if you rent a LOT of games a month....since it's like $6 to rent a game these days for a week.

I only can recommend it if you rent games often.

EGM did a one-month study on this very subject last year with 5-6 different online/through-the-mail game rental services, and the results were relatively disappointing all-around. Most games took too long to arrive (if they arrived at all), and EGM's editors were for the most part left wanting.

If Blockbuster, Netflix, et. al. can provide online/through-the-mail movie DVD rentals with fairly good service, I don't understand why game disc rentals can't be done the same. Perhaps online game rentals haven't gotten big enough yet for a big enough company (with enough money) to get involved.

I had tried gamefly.com, gamerang.com and gameznflix.com and so far gamefly.com is the best to me. gameznflix.com is the worse because during my 14 days trial I've only received 6 games from them and I'm on the 6 out per time plan. gamerang.com is ok, the shipping is a little slow (I get about one game per week and I'm on one out per time plan). gamefly.com is the best in my experience, fast shipping (I get about 4 games per week and I was on two games out per time plan). I love to rent games by mail, it is a great way to try all those games. Many games are just ok and I'm glad I rent them and not buy them.

Gamefly was fantastic for me. Great shipping, great selection, great service. The only reason I don't subscribe to them now though is a severe lack of time, especially now that I have my DS, GTA San Andreas (thanks to my girlfriend), and Roller Coaster Tycoon 3.

bread's done
Back