Renting a car for a day, any pitfalls?

Reality's Fringe

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
My personal vehicle is smoked, and I need to go out of town overnight on Tuesday for urgent business.I'm probably going to have to rent a car, and I was wondering if there are any issues I should look out for before I call around for prices. I'm under 25, if that makes any insurance difference.

Thanks.

Some might rent to under 25 but at a higher rate. Definitely call around to several different places since prices can sometimes vary quite a bit. One day during the week shouldn't be too expensive. If you're a AAA member be sure to ask if they offer a discount.

They will rent to you, but you will just pay more, so call around for the best deal. More important is to avoid the insurance charge scams they run. First check with your own insurance company that you are covered for a rental. You almost certainly are if you have collision, but only up to the value of your car. If the car you rent is worth more than your own car then obviously you could be liable for the difference if you total the rental, but unless your car is a complete junker the chance that any accident would exceed the coverage you already have is small. Also check your credit card; many cards include free rental car insurance as a perk.

There's another type of scam-surance they try to sell you as well. Basically they tell you, yes your own coverage may pay eventually, but we can demand the money from you right away so you have to pay us a fee so we dont do that. Personally I never pay this, but if you have absolutely no savings then theoretically at least they could screw up your credit rating if something did happen, so you have to decide.

Last point, check over the car carefully when you get it. Some places will try to screw you over and blame you for little dings that were there when you rented the car. Make sure they note it down on the rental form before you leave.

If this makes all car rental places seem like scum, well, all the big chain places are scum. Some (only a few) of the small independent places may actually be decent human beings, and to them I apologize.

Also make sure you return the car with a full tank of gas, instead of letting them fill it. Most places charge extra if you don't, like so much over the actual price/gal of gas, so find the cheapest gas station on your way back in and top off the tank!

Don't listen to that other guy. Get the insurance and then do the Jackass thing and take it to a demolition derby. When you take it back, be sure to tell them " but I got the insurance."

[quote name='donkeydrop']They will rent to you, but you will just pay more, so call around for the best deal. More important is to avoid the insurance charge scams they run. First check with your own insurance company that you are covered for a rental. You almost certainly are if you have collision, but only up to the value of your car. If the car you rent is worth more than your own car then obviously you could be liable for the difference if you total the rental, but unless your car is a complete junker the chance that any accident would exceed the coverage you already have is small. Also check your credit card; many cards include free rental car insurance as a perk.

There's another type of scam-surance they try to sell you as well. Basically they tell you, yes your own coverage may pay eventually, but we can demand the money from you right away so you have to pay us a fee so we dont do that. Personally I never pay this, but if you have absolutely no savings then theoretically at least they could screw up your credit rating if something did happen, so you have to decide.

Last point, check over the car carefully when you get it. Some places will try to screw you over and blame you for little dings that were there when you rented the car. Make sure they note it down on the rental form before you leave.

If this makes all car rental places seem like scum, well, all the big chain places are scum. Some (only a few) of the small independent places may actually be decent human beings, and to them I apologize.[/QUOTE]

Word. My grandma and I got a rental car as part of some hotel package when we went to Orlando. It was supposed to be like 30 bucks a day and when we get there the guy says that the car we want is to small for us and that we have to get this fucking luxury car for 240 bucks a day PLUS insurance. I was like "you can go fuck yourself man. Rip somebody else off." and he's like "When you wreck that car your going to owe us $33,000." It was a fucking 5 year old Chevy Aveo. I laughed in his face and told him that I'd wreck it on purpose, give him 6 grand and I'd let him kiss my ass for free.

All kidding aside, get the insurance. Also INSPECT THE CAR FOR ANY DINGS AND DAMAGE before you sign off on it. If you find anything, make a note of it on the contract.

[quote name='Xevious']All kidding aside, get the insurance. Also INSPECT THE CAR FOR ANY DINGS AND DAMAGE before you sign off on it. If you find anything, make a note of it on the contract.[/QUOTE]

Which insurance?The supplemental liability, or damage?

I should just take a bus :/

bread's done
Back