Renting a PS3 console? Ideas/suggestions needed

juubei1i

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I'm starting to plan my 8 yr old son's bday party. I was trying to see if it logistically and financially made sense to get a bunch of his friends together for a PS3 party. PS3 because we have several of those within the family and plenty of flatscreens but I'd still need a few more consoles from somewhere. I don't feel comfortable asking parents to have their young child bring a PS3 with them if they happen to own one.

I know there are party trucks you can rent but each tv on the truck would be split between 4 kids (not much fun) and it'll cost over $300 for 2 hours. I could do one tv per kid or split screen if necessary but need more PS3s at a cheap price for only a few hours on one day. My budget would be approx $200 and that would need to include renting the cheap games from redbox or something.

Anybody have any legit ideas? I don't want to do anything unethical like buy and return. I appreciate any assistance.

Renting a console used to be a common thing but now it seems so weird to suggest doing that.

[quote name='juubei1i']Renting a console used to be a common thing but now it seems so weird to suggest doing that.[/QUOTE]

Blame online play and profiles for that.

I would try mom and pop stores and ask the owner if, with a deposit, you could work out a pay by day on a used console. There are no rental places out here in Mass anymore so that is the only option I can think of

I would also warn about updates and installs...nothing would be worse than sitting them all down and having to wait for games to update before they can play.

I say you just rent the truck and do not have to worry about updating, setting up and charging controllers and moving the tv all over the place and have enough outlets. Over all its up too you but i think just rent the truck and one less thing to worry about.

[quote name='hufferstl']Do you have Family Video's in your town? They rent consoles, I believe.[/QUOTE]

I do have FV's in my area. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into it.

Thanks for everyone's input. I haven't forgotten about updates and charging. I have a large enough living room/dining room to hold all of the tvs and kids, plus miles of extension cords. I plan on calling RAC but what I found online indicates that it is no less than a month rental and costs half the price of a new PS3. The party trucks are a clever idea (wish I would have thought of it) but staring at a tv split into quarters from six feet away just doesn't sound like a good time.

bread's done
Back