'Renting' Rock Band 1 from GameStop?

fldash

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
With GameStops 7 day returned policy on used games, is it frowned upon to go and buy Rock Band 1 then return it after I import the songs into Rock Band 2? Will they ask me strange questions?

I just got Rock Band 2 yesterday, have GHWT Band Kit... and... wow... Even though it doesn't use the orange symbol, I think the RB2 gameplay is much better and all I've done is play quick play (after unlocking all the songs). I don't get why it feels so much different but it does...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure they'll know exactly why you'd be "borrowing" RB1 from them, though it is in the terms of the return policy.

Do realize that they may ask you to pick up a replacement title in place of RB1, as they've done to other people that "return" a used game within 7 days.

[quote name='tindall311']you could probably get away with it

but yes, it would be frowned upon. i would practically call it stealing.[/QUOTE]
How is it stealing? All you have to do is say you didn't like it and they will refund your money. It isn't your fault that Gamestop has the policy.

I did this when I first got Rockband 2. Just be warned it costs 400 MS points to download the songs.

It's not his fault they have the policy, just like it's not the fault of those who ruined the original policy to begin with.
This worked at one time with new games, but was abused. Now if I buy a game on occasion that truly sucks, I have to either eat the cost completely or get trade in value.

I'm not a becon of innocence myself, just hate to see Gamestop start to suck any more than it already does.

[quote name='cdeener']How is it stealing? All you have to do is say you didn't like it and they will refund your money. It isn't your fault that Gamestop has the policy.

I did this when I first got Rockband 2. Just be warned it costs 400 MS points to download the songs.[/QUOTE]

It's within policy, but come on now, do you go to the store and buy a cd or dvd only to return it after you rip it and burn your own copy?

I had a copy and traded it out only to lose my HD data so I faced a similar situation. I considered what you have but decided against it. You're gonna get about 55 songs out of it for around $25 so just pony up the cash. It won't hurt to keep around in case you lose your data and if you're anxious to get rid of it, put it up for trade on here or another trading site.

[quote name='fldash']With GameStops 7 day returned policy on used games, is it frowned upon to go and buy Rock Band 1 then return it after I import the songs into Rock Band 2? Will they ask me strange questions?

I just got Rock Band 2 yesterday, have GHWT Band Kit... and... wow... Even though it doesn't use the orange symbol, I think the RB2 gameplay is much better and all I've done is play quick play (after unlocking all the songs). I don't get why it feels so much different but it does...[/QUOTE]
Gamestop doesn't rent games, silly. Try GameFly or Blockbuster.

Seems to me they've caught on to this and have amended their policy not to include RB1 for this very reason. I would maybe call a GS to ask about this policy and ask if there are any games that are not covered by it. If they say all games are covered then make sure you get the guy's name and return it to him.

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']Seems to me they've caught on to this and have amended their policy not to include RB1 for this very reason. I would maybe call a GS to ask about this policy and ask if there are any games that are not covered by it. If they say all games are covered then make sure you get the guy's name and return it to him.[/quote]I'm sure Oblivion GOTY is the same way, because you can just install the additional DLC content from the 2nd disc and never need the disc again.

i'd probably do it also if i didnt own the original RB. but its stealing in a way. obviously the policy does not state anything about this so its loophole.

[quote name='QiG']It's within policy, but come on now, do you go to the store and buy a cd or dvd only to return it after you rip it and burn your own copy?

I had a copy and traded it out only to lose my HD data so I faced a similar situation. I considered what you have but decided against it. You're gonna get about 55 songs out of it for around $25 so just pony up the cash. It won't hurt to keep around in case you lose your data and if you're anxious to get rid of it, put it up for trade on here or another trading site.[/quote]It cost $5 to d/l the export key so Harmonix still gets the money.Do it OP.

[quote name='snakelda']It cost $5 to d/l the export key so Harmonix still gets the money.Do it OP.[/quote]

:roll: Well, we can argue til we're blue in the face but by the letter of the law, you should own the RB1 disc to be using the songs. In my mind, it's no more severe than downloading a mp3, but if you're set on trying this, don't bother asking next time.

He didn't ask for your ethical views on the matter, he asked if GS would give him any trouble.

And OP, as far as I know they won't say anything. I've gotten and returned used games before for various reasons, and I've always just said I don't like the game and that was that.

Returning Rock Band without the instruments might seem weird to some people.

If anything, just simply say someone got Rock Band 2 for you and you're going to go with that instead of the first game.

I've had an employee tell me to do it before, so just do it and return it. Say you were unsatisfied with the product. Nothing more, nothing less.

[quote name='cdeener']How is it stealing? All you have to do is say you didn't like it and they will refund your money. It isn't your fault that Gamestop has the policy.

I did this when I first got Rockband 2. Just be warned it costs 400 MS points to download the songs.[/quote]

Sometimes you have to be responsible for your own actions. ;)

Just because you can doesn't mean you should...

[quote name='darkslime']Don't do this, do you really want GS's return policies to get stricter, and it is stealing...[/QUOTE]

No it's not. He's not stealing anything.

[quote name='whoknows']No it's not. He's not stealing anything.[/quote]are you kidding me...it's like if he borrowed a new DVD that you paid $20 for, burned it, and gave it back...things like that piss me off...if you want to "rent" a game just for the songs, go to blockbuster, pay the $5 to rent it for a few days and go that route...it's people like you that are going to ruin this 7 day grace period for games that truly suck

Ohh please, everyone here is acting as if this is some sort of criminal offense punishable by death. Take a reality check. The majority of people on here hate Gamestop because they are absolute ass holes and scumbags. I know my self and the majority of others would jump at the chance to scam those bastards out of a few bucks. It's not even if as if this some how goes around the policy. It's within it and shouldn't be frowned upon. Grow some balls.

[quote name='breakingcustoms']are you kidding me...it's like if he borrowed a new DVD that you paid $20 for, burned it, and gave it back...things like that piss me off...if you want to "rent" a game just for the songs, go to blockbuster, pay the $5 to rent it for a few days and go that route...it's people like you that are going to ruin this 7 day grace period for games that truly suck[/QUOTE]
Well the Blockbuster route is nice way to do it but it is flawed for the fact most of them don't even carry RB1. That is what happened in my case because no Blockbuster within 25 miles of me had this for rent. So, the only course I had was to get it from Gamestop.

I haven't done this, haven't decided if I will either. I may call Blockbuster/Family Video and see if they carry it. If so, I'll go that route, if not, I may try GameStop... I'd consider re-selling it on eBay but that's a huge hassle.

I highly doubt that me buying and returning one game will be the death of the 7 day return policy... it'll be the first time I've EVER used that policy.

[quote name='breakingcustoms']are you kidding me...it's like if he borrowed a new DVD that you paid $20 for, burned it, and gave it back...things like that piss me off...if you want to "rent" a game just for the songs, go to blockbuster, pay the $5 to rent it for a few days and go that route...it's people like you that are going to ruin this 7 day grace period for games that truly suck[/quote]

It isn't stealing at all. You are buying a used copy of RB1. You take it home and pay the $5 fee to transfer the license to use the music onto your hard drive for other Rock Band games. You return the game within your 7 day window given to you by Gamestop. No stealing occurred. You paid the LICENSING FEE which allows you to use that music. When you rip a dvd and return it you have paid no fee and have therefore stolen the content on the dvd.

I don't think you understand how media works. You never own media. You just purchase the license to use it.

they tell you straight up when you buy the game, "if you don't want or don't like it bring it back with 7 days" I even had one guy tell me one time, "GT5 prologue is very short, you'll definitely be back within 7 days".

OP buy the game do what you have to do and return it, he bought a game and is returning the game, nothing is missing. They usually don't care as long it's within their 7 day return period.

The point of the policy is not to rent games. I don't care what other people do, but I find it funny when I see all of the justifications people try to throw out. You're doing something wrong if you're purposefully using the policy like that. Just say that to yourself and do it.

You people who are saying it's stealing/wrong/whatever are ridiculous. I'm sure you're all not the saints you try to make yourselves out to be. It may not be what the policy is meant for (as far as RB goes anyways), but it's far from stealing.

Now if he saw the game still in the case at a GS and walked out with it, then yeah, that's stealing.

I talked to GS employee once about this and they don't mind as long as specific people don't keep coming into the store and abusing the seven day policy.

That being said... THIS IS CHEAP ASS GAMER. I understand that people are on different moral levels, but this isn't morally wrong, this is just a cheap shortcut that is well within the bounds of legality.

Yeah, although usually I don't approve of many things people do on here, this one's not so bad in my opinion. It's well within the rules of gamestop's return policy; you are fully entitled to whatever content may be on the disc and are allowed to return it for whatever reason. As far as morality goes, and please correct me if I'm wrong, this doesn't seem to affect any party involved... as long as it's returned in the same condition, gamestop isn't losing out(well maybe their credit card processing charges, but that's a petty risk all stores face with return policies) and Red Octane is still getting their money for the upload service.

[quote name='whoknows']I'm sure you're all not the saints you try to make yourselves out to be.[/QUOTE]

agreed, the same people who are riding the moral high horse on here and bashing the OP are the same who are minimizing this window and checking how far along their torrents are.

[quote name='fldash']With GameStops 7 day returned policy on used games, is it frowned upon to go and buy Rock Band 1 then return it after I import the songs into Rock Band 2? Will they ask me strange questions?

I just got Rock Band 2 yesterday, have GHWT Band Kit... and... wow... Even though it doesn't use the orange symbol, I think the RB2 gameplay is much better and all I've done is play quick play (after unlocking all the songs). I don't get why it feels so much different but it does...[/quote]

genius!

[quote name='fldash']
I highly doubt that me buying and returning one game will be the death of the 7 day return policy... it'll be the first time I've EVER used that policy.[/QUOTE]

Where I work, we typically have a 40% off one item coupon in out ad. We used to keep extras in the store, that way if you lost/forgot your ad, or don't get a newspaper, you could get the coupon.

People figured out they could pick up extra ads to get extra discounts. I do not blame them for this. I'm sure most people only did it a few times, and only took 1 or 2 more coupons. Not a big deal. Except- damn near EVERYONE did it. 90% of the people who came in the day and ad broke grabbed a second or third copy. Couple that with the few jerks who'd take 12-15, and we went through a week's worth of ads in about 3 hours.

Corporate sees the pattern, and quits sending us ads- knowing most folks will just pay the extra 3 bucks their extra coupons saved. Plus, policies are amended, forcing us to be much more strict about the '1 coupon a day' rule we could ingore beforehand. In order words, no more extra discounts.

Moral of the story: you aren't doing anything wrong, and no one at your local GS will even care... but don't be surprised when corporate's rush to close this loophole screws up for future prospects for other returns.

bread's done
Back