Renzo's Target Rant

Renzokuken

CAGiversary!
I went into my Target today to use my raincheck for 31% on THUG for PS2. I wanted to get the suffering for xbox. I first talked with the Team Leader and she said i am able to use this raincheck on a $39.99 price because the raincheck states it with the "regular priced item" part. She then says that i can use this on ANY console. And after this whole situation, i found out the written policy about the Rain Checks are only on the receipts.

She then gets ahold of the Store Manager for me:

StoreManager: You can't use a PS2 raincheck on an XBOX game.
Me: It doesnt state that on the raincheck. Not even fine print.
SM: We have THUG on XBOX
(Upon saying that line, it seems as if hes suggesting i get the game on xbox. Hes constantly changing his decisions.)
Me: But the raincheck states I have some options to use this raincheck. One of them to use a game as a substitute with the same % off.
SM: You cannot use it on an xbox title. Can you play XBOX games on the PS2?
Me: No
SM: Well there you go. You cannot substitute a PS2 game for an XBOX.
Me: But Im trying to get a multi-title game(suffering). This game on both consoles is similar to each other. No storylines or gameplay is changed. On this raincheck it states "shirt for shirt". Thats like saying you cant use a long-sleeve raincheck on a short-sleeve shirt.
SM: Each Target has their own policy. We can alter rules at any time.
Me: But this raincheck policy has been approved and written by Corporate.
SM: Well go ahead and contact Corporate. Your're not going to be accomplishing anything complaining to me or them. You might as well drop it.

Obviously I became pissed and left. The Manager was awfully rude to me probably because i do look like im a little nuisance kid (im 17). I am not BSing this whole situation. The convo is longer but i decided to keep it short for your sake. I know contacting Corporate may not do anything, but i just really have to get this thing off my back. Thanks for reading.

Travel to the next closest Target, and you'll probably have better luck there.

Steve A.

[quote name='Renzokuken']I went into my Target today to use my raincheck for 31% on THUG for PS2. I wanted to get the suffering for xbox. I first talked with the Team Leader and she said i am able to use this raincheck on a $39.99 price because the raincheck states it with the "regular priced item" part. She then says that i can use this on ANY console. And after this whole situation, i found out the written policy about the Rain Checks are only on the receipts.

She then gets ahold of the Store Manager for me:

StoreManager: You can't use a PS2 raincheck on an XBOX game.
Me: It doesnt state that on the raincheck. Not even fine print.
SM: We have THUG on XBOX
(Upon saying that line, it seems as if hes suggesting i get the game on xbox. Hes constantly changing his decisions.)
Me: But the raincheck states I have some options to use this raincheck. One of them to use a game as a substitute with the same % off.
SM: You cannot use it on an xbox title. Can you play XBOX games on the PS2?
Me: No
SM: Well there you go. You cannot substitute a PS2 game for an XBOX.
Me: But Im trying to get a multi-title game(suffering). This game on both consoles is similar to each other. No storylines or gameplay is changed. On this raincheck it states "shirt for shirt". Thats like saying you cant use a long-sleeve raincheck on a short-sleeve shirt.
SM: Each Target has their own policy. We can alter rules at any time.
Me: But this raincheck policy has been approved and written by Corporate.
SM: Well go ahead and contact Corporate. Your're not going to be accomplishing anything complaining to me or them. You might as well drop it.

Obviously I became pissed and left. The Manager was awfully rude to me probably because i do look like im a little nuisance kid (im 17). I am not BSing this whole situation. The convo is longer but i decided to keep it short for your sake. I know contacting Corporate may not do anything, but i just really have to get this thing off my back. Thanks for reading.[/quote]

SM: I am altering the deal, pray I do not alter it any further.

Sucks for you man, I got the same run around from my Targets. Blame the jerks that cashed in like a dozen rainchecks; this is why we can't have nice things.

I had the exact same problem yesterday. The clerk gave me the same line about different games and consoles and such...I vowed revenge. :)

So I went back today and a different clerk was working. He didn't question a thing. I used a PS2 raincheck for a gamecube game...walked out with Zelda Four Swords for 27.50. Thanks Target!

although i'm not defending the store manager, i will say that he did have a valid argument in the "We have THUG on XBOX " (if you ignore the fact that he is contradicting himself). it would have been interesting to see where the argument would have taken you if you tried to get a different ps2 game.

If you're really pissed and have time it might be worth it to file a complaint with the BBB, I don't know if it will help you any, but it sure can't hurt.

yea, i went to many targets during the Madden Fiasco and I got quite a few different stories some of them silly, about how rainchecks may or may not be applied. I really wish there was some sort of consistent and clear policy. Lets see....heres some

-You can only use it on PC games (madden 04 pc raincheck)
-You can only use it on games that are the same price
-You can use it for only one titile, not both titles I brought to the counter.
-Madden 04 has to be out of stock (which we promptly took care of by buying all the copies)
-You can only exchange it for a PC football game
-But Madden 04 for other consoles are in stock

So I dont mess with rainchecks anymore, just because of the sheer hassle.

I find it frustrating when the managers wont budge at all. I always wonder why the have to give you a hard time- like the money's coming out of their pocket. THey make the same $8.50 an hour no matter what, so you'd think they would want to make everyone happy if they could. Instead they have to give you a hard time and leave you frustrated.

Please try to remember that these clerks are people, and that when you come here whining about what they do, they probably go home and complain about a pushy jerk that came into thier store that day and started demanding things.

Deals are good things, but when you have to stomp all over other people to get them, is it really worth the hassle?

There wouldnt be a hassle if clerks didnt give you a hard time every time.
Plus its not like were trying to steal from them or ask them to Give us an item for cheaper just because we feel like it. If you have a legit deal, even though it may be cheaper than normal, theres no reason that they should give you a hard time.

They are people trying to do thier job.
What people are doing when they try to use the raincheck exploit goes beyond the norm of day to day procedure. When confronted with extraordinary circumstances, people will react differently. Since the videogame section itself is such a diverse class of product, it allows for several different judgements to be drawn from the same knowledge base.

Never get a manager involved on this. I haven't had any problems because I pick and choose when to redeem it. If an employee gives you crap then just walk away nicely and return another time with another employee. There are two younger guys at mine that don't care so it works. I dealt with one guy that was completely confused by it but luckily he didn't call the manager for help.

I do agree they are doing there job so I don't hassle them. It's not their fault that Target has left a policy wide open to interpretation. As for the manger, he is held responsible for the store and what happens there. It may not come out of his pocket, but he will pay for it.

Perhaps you need a decoy cart full of stuff so that it will seem like they'll be losing a larger sale than they actually are...

In any case, I would indeed write corporate, and be sure to mention the manager by name in the letter. Explain that you were abiding by the terms they themselves set on the raincheck and the manager started changing the deal at a whim.

My Target was probably going to give me the same shit had I decided to get a game like Ninja Gaiden or Splinter Cell PT on Xbox with my Ghost Recon Jungle Storm raincheck, because the guy who gave me the raincheck said I could only use it on PS2 items. I thought that was kind of stupid, but on the other hand I got La Pucelle Tactics, a game with a price that will never drop below $50 (just like Disgaea). So it's all good. At least they didn't give me shit about wanting a substitute, right?

I understand your point Sweeney....my point is what ever happened to the customer is always right? What happened to satisfying the customer? Before big retail stores took over the world, stores used to care about keeping each person as a customer. Now people dont get paid enough to care. If you dont shop there, so what. The large corperation still makes their money. And that attitude reflects down to the employees who dont care.
I agree that the whole raincheck is stretching the rules, but is it worth making a scene in front of other customers over? I dont think so.

[quote name='jmcc']Perhaps you need a decoy cart full of stuff so that it will seem like they'll be losing a larger sale than they actually are...

In any case, I would indeed write corporate, and be sure to mention the manager by name in the letter. Explain that you were abiding by the terms they themselves set on the raincheck and the manager started changing the deal at a whim.[/quote]

Of course, you do run the risk of them tightening the rules on rainchecks as it pertains to videogames by doing this. Corporate has obviously seen what went on with the Madden rainchecks, and it would not be that far-flung to think that they may alter the policy.

Of course, if it bothers you that much, that's likely a risk you'd take

Stories like these is why I don't bother with rainchecks or the BB gift card. The last thing I need is to have an argument with some store employee -- I'd rather pay more for the darn game than go through that crap.

[quote name='redgopher']My Target was probably going to give me the same shit had I decided to get a game like Ninja Gaiden or Splinter Cell PT on Xbox with my Ghost Recon Jungle Storm raincheck, because the guy who gave me the raincheck said I could only use it on PS2 items. I thought that was kind of stupid, but on the other hand I got La Pucelle Tactics, a game with a price that will never drop below $50 (just like Disgaea). So it's all good. At least they didn't give me shit about wanting a substitute, right?[/quote]

Well, you know, them not wanting to subsitute a XBox game on a PS2 raincheck doesn't seem wholy unreasonable to me. I actually think that's one of the big problems with Target's rainchecks... the subsitution policy on the back is fairly abigious and often will call for a judgement call, and that judgement call will be on Target's terms. This will obviously cause some upleasant situtaitons at some point. I wonder if Target has a more globally emcompassing raincheck policy that is available to be viewed (at thier stores, website, etc). It just seems like bad business to have such vague wording on a document.

I hate all of these goddamn rants about stores. You know, they are providing you with a service, and you are giving them money. They don't have to sell you anything, and you don't have to buy anything. So shut up.

I understand your point Sweeney....my point is what ever happened to the customer is always right? What happened to satisfying the customer? Before big retail stores took over the world, stores used to care about keeping each person as a customer.

Not exactly. Stores would never blatantly let you take advantage of them.. hence the limiting of things like double and triple coupons and such.

Now people dont get paid enough to care. If you dont shop there, so what. The large corperation still makes their money. And that attitude reflects down to the employees who dont care.
I agree that the whole raincheck is stretching the rules, but is it worth making a scene in front of other customers over? I dont think so.

Respect goes both ways. Yes, stores would be more accomidating to extraordiary requests in the past... of course, people would be less apt to ask for that type of consideration. That, and exploits didn't travel near as fast or as far as they do today. Giving one person a really good deal thanks to a raincheck is one thing. After you've sold your 10th or 20th piece of product at a loss, you're not going to be so free and giving when it comes to honoring them in the future.

[quote name='Tromack']I hate all of these goddamn rants about stores. You know, they are providing you with a service, and you are giving them money. They don't have to sell you anything, and you don't have to buy anything. So shut up.[/quote]

Take your own advice Tromack....were discussing something here. If you cant handle the discussion then stay out of it.

[quote name='Ericnmel99'][quote name='Tromack']I hate all of these goddamn rants about stores. You know, they are providing you with a service, and you are giving them money. They don't have to sell you anything, and you don't have to buy anything. So shut up.[/quote]

Take your own advice Tromack....were discussing something here. If you cant handle the discussion then stay out of it.[/quote]

Wow, I was unaware that you were providing a service and I was paying you. Except for the sex, of course. I'm entitled to state my opinion. Just as you are entitled to state yours. I'm just letting you know that I think that all of this whining about the store not giving you some great deal, is just about the most self-centered thing, I have ever come across.

[quote name='JSweeney']
Respect goes both ways. Yes, stores would be more accomidating to extraordiary requests in the past... of course, people would be less apt to ask for that type of consideration. That, and exploits didn't travel near as fast or as far as they do today. Giving one person a really good deal thanks to a raincheck is one thing. After you've sold your 10th or 20th piece of product at a loss, you're not going to be so free and giving when it comes to honoring them in the future.[/quote]

Thats true. I think the point and the truth as you said before is that target has a WAY to vague raincheck policy. Obviously the consumer is going to want the better price when the store is going to see it their way and use their "we can change the rules" policy. Im surprised that they havent change the raincheck rule yet. Time will tell if they do i guess...

[quote name='Tromack']
Wow, I was unaware that you were providing a service and I was paying you. Except for the sex, of course. I'm entitled to state my opinion. Just as you are entitled to state yours. I'm just letting you know that I think that all of this whining about the store not giving you some great deal, is just about the most self-centered thing, I have ever come across.[/quote]

Im just saying that you dont have to bring down the conversation to your level just because you dont like it. nobody else is tellinig anyone to shutup or making jokes like a 12 year old about sex. And im not saying you cant have your opinion. You just dont need to interupt the thread by being rude.

[quote name='Ericnmel99']my point is what ever happened to the customer is always right? What happened to satisfying the customer? Before big retail stores took over the world, stores used to care about keeping each person as a customer. Now people dont get paid enough to care. If you dont shop there, so what. The large corperation still makes their money. And that attitude reflects down to the employees who dont care.[/quote]

in my experience, the customer is usually wrong.

[quote name='thatstoobad']in my experience, the customer is usually wrong.[/quote]

Sad to say, I have to agree. It seems some people just leave their brains at the door when they enter a retail store.

Hey that rhymed.

[quote name='JSweeney'][quote name='redgopher']My Target was probably going to give me the same shit had I decided to get a game like Ninja Gaiden or Splinter Cell PT on Xbox with my Ghost Recon Jungle Storm raincheck, because the guy who gave me the raincheck said I could only use it on PS2 items. I thought that was kind of stupid, but on the other hand I got La Pucelle Tactics, a game with a price that will never drop below $50 (just like Disgaea). So it's all good. At least they didn't give me shit about wanting a substitute, right?[/quote]

Well, you know, them not wanting to subsitute a XBox game on a PS2 raincheck doesn't seem wholy unreasonable to me. I actually think that's one of the big problems with Target's rainchecks... the subsitution policy on the back is fairly abigious and often will call for a judgement call, and that judgement call will be on Target's terms. This will obviously cause some upleasant situtaitons at some point. I wonder if Target has a more globally emcompassing raincheck policy that is available to be viewed (at thier stores, website, etc). It just seems like bad business to have such vague wording on a document.[/quote]

I think that is unreasonable. On the raincheck it clearly states that you can use it on like items (i.e. tv for tv.) So what? Now you can only use rainchecks on tvs that are the same brand? It's clear that all video games are like items.

I was able to use my Manhunt raincheck on Half Life for PC and before the clerk even began to argue with me, I stated that it says you can use it on all like items and in this case, it was game for game.

As long as the price of a new Xbox game isn't far greater than the price of a new PS2 game, it shouldn't matter. It's not like Target is losing any more money out of the deal.

I think that is unreasonable. On the raincheck it clearly states that you can use it on like items (i.e. tv for tv.) So what? Now you can only use rainchecks on tvs that are the same brand? It's clear that all video games are like items.

Unless my understanding of the numbering system Target uses is flawed, I thought all Xbox games, PS2 games, Gamecube games, and GBA games had thier own product catagories. If that's the case, then people are arguing from a mistaken premise, and they've just be filling the rainchecks to appease customers. It would be like filling a raincheck for pants when shirts are on sale because they fall unter the blanket catagory of "clothes".

Of course, If I'm wrong in my understanding of the numbering scheme, then there really shouldn't be a problem, and it's a training issue.

Could anyone provide valid information as to the truth or falsehood of that information? ( The different poduct catagory numbers were an explanation given to me by a clerk at Target, and it seemed a very valid reason for not honoring a raincheck subsitution. It could have just been a line of BS, but I'd like to assume that they wouldn't stoop to the point of lying.)

I was able to use my Manhunt raincheck on Half Life for PC and before the clerk even began to argue with me, I stated that it says you can use it on all like items and in this case, it was game for game.

Yes, but if the product catagory codes were different, that wouldn't be the case.

As long as the price of a new Xbox game isn't far greater than the price of a new PS2 game, it shouldn't matter. It's not like Target is losing any more money out of the deal.

You can't state that to a certainty unless you know the price per unit Target is paying it's vendors for the software. For all we know, they could have made a deal with the company to purchase say 10,000 copies of Madden for $10 less per unit. Target would be able to sell those games without realizing a loss at the promo price, but if you bought a game that just came out that week for the promo price, they'd probably be losing a nontrivial sum per unit.

Unless my understanding of the numbering system Target uses is flawed, I thought all Xbox games, PS2 games, Gamecube games, and GBA games had thier own product catagories. If that's the case, then people are arguing from a mistaken premise, and they've just be filling the rainchecks to appease customers. It would be like filling a raincheck for pants when shirts are on sale because they fall unter the blanket catagory of "clothes".

I still don't see what the issue is. Even though it may be in a different product category, it is still a like item and they should honor it. If they do use different categories for games and have a problem with applying rainchecks on different systems, then they should reword their rainchecks.

You can't state that to a certainty unless you know the price per unit Target is paying it's vendors for the software. For all we know, they could have made a deal with the company to purchase say 10,000 copies of Madden for $10 less per unit. Target would be able to sell those games without realizing a loss at the promo price, but if you bought a game that just came out that week for the promo price, they'd probably be losing a nontrivial sum per unit.

Right, but I highly doubt that electronics clerks know for sure what profit Target is making off each individual game. Since they may not know, they shouldn't be worried if you cross platforms with the raincheck.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']If they do use different categories for games and have a problem with applying rainchecks on different systems, then they should reword their rainchecks.[/quote]

Ultimately, I think this is what The Sweeney(TM) is getting at.

I still don't see what the issue is. Even though it may be in a different product category, it is still a like item and they should honor it. If they do use different categories for games and have a problem with applying rainchecks on different systems, then they should reword their rainchecks.

It all depends upon the way rainchecks are. You could take any product in Target and elevate up to a superset of it an try to claim that you should get the discount.

Say you want pants, and and a shirt is on sale:
Shirt (Pants)---> Clothes.
DVD Player( Digital Camera)--->Electronics
PC Game(Xbox game)---->Videogames

Yes, the wording is vague, and probably should be rewritten.
But the standard to be applied is applied by the clerk, the manager, or representative of Target... not the customer.

Right, but I highly doubt that electronics clerks know for sure what profit Target is making off each individual game. Since they may not know, they shouldn't be worried if you cross platforms with the raincheck.

That has no bearing whatsoever on whether or not you should be given the raincheck. I stated that to answer this red herring you suggest:
It's not like Target is losing any more money out of the deal.
Whether or not Target is losing money is immaterial to whether or not they should allow cross platform raincheck fullfillment.

[quote name='PsyClerk'][quote name='Grave_Addiction']If they do use different categories for games and have a problem with applying rainchecks on different systems, then they should reword their rainchecks.[/quote]

Ultimately, I think this is what The Sweeney(TM) is getting at.[/quote]

Yeah. That's the best way to deal with it. Leave absolutely no subjective judgement on the application of the raincheck at all. The subsitution policy is fine, but as long as it's vague, you'll have clerks deny sales and people go to internet message boards and complain.

[quote name='Ericnmel99']I understand your point Sweeney....my point is what ever happened to the customer is always right?[/quote]

That basically went out the window right around the time websites went up describing how best to exploit loopholes in store policy and capitalize on store mistakes. The people who get a bajillion rainchecks so they'll never have to pay full price for a game again hurt all of us.

[quote name='JSweeney']

It all depends upon the way rainchecks are. You could take any product in Target and elevate up to a superset of it an try to claim that you should get the discount.

Say you want pants, and and a shirt is on sale:
Shirt (Pants)---> Clothes.
DVD Player( Digital Camera)--->Electronics
PC Game(Xbox game)---->Videogames

Yes, the wording is vague, and probably should be rewritten.
But the standard to be applied is applied by the clerk, the manager, or representative of Target... not the customer.

You can't state that to a certainty unless you know the price per unit Target is paying it's vendors for the software. For all we know, they could have made a deal with the company to purchase say 10,000 copies of Madden for $10 less per unit. Target would be able to sell those games without realizing a loss at the promo price, but if you bought a game that just came out that week for the promo price, they'd probably be losing a nontrivial sum per unit.[/quote]

Okay, but even at their basic level, a shirt is a shirt, a dvd player is a dvd player and a video game is a video game. If Target states that all like item items are available to be substituted, then they should honor all like items. Denying shirt for pants is reasonable because it is not a like item. And neither is a dvd player and a camcorder.

But they're not like items. As the manager in the original post said, can you play an XBox game on a PS2? No, they're not like items. Can you wear a shirt on your legs instead of pants? Nope, they're not like items. They may have some similarities, but you can't use them interchangably like you can a shirt and a shirt.

Okay, but even at their basic level, a shirt is a shirt, a dvd player is a dvd player and a video game is a video game. If Target states that all like item items are available to be substituted, then they should honor all like items. Denying shirt for pants is reasonable because it is not a like item. And neither is a dvd player and a camcorder.

This is the crux of our disagreement. If it does have a different product catagory number, it's not the same item. It would be an Xbox game, and a PS2 game, and a Gamecube game, etc.

If that is the case they are their own specific entities, and not the global "videogames".

In that sense, denying Xbox game for PS2 game is no different than denying shirt for pants.

If you want to get technical like items could apply to the same game on the same system. It all depends on how people want to interpret the ambiguous wording.

[quote name='Tromack']If you want to get technical like items could apply to the same game on the same system. It all depends on how people want to interpret the ambiguous wording.[/quote]

Actually, that specific occurance could never occur because it competely defeats the purpose of a subsitution policy. Even the most addle brained clerk in the world would never suggest such a thing.

Honestly their best bet is to get rid of the subsitution policy alltogether. That way theres no question as to what you can for your raincheck.

[quote name='JSweeney']

Of course, If I'm wrong in my understanding of the numbering scheme, then there really shouldn't be a problem, and it's a training issue.

Could anyone provide valid information as to the truth or falsehood of that information? ( The different poduct catagory numbers were an explanation given to me by a clerk at Target, and it seemed a very valid reason for not honoring a raincheck subsitution. It could have just been a line of BS, but I'd like to assume that they wouldn't stoop to the point of lying.)[/quote]

I can confirm this. I had a clerk give me the same explanation when I tried to use a PS2 game raincheck on a Gamecube game. I Agree, this is a VERY valid reason to deny a raincheck. I think this issue is core to the ambiguity of the raincheck and how clerks choose to interpret the policy. Whereas this particular clerk said no, the clerk I delt with the following day didn't even question the raincheck. I can only assume he accepted the raincheck on the basis that, in his mind, any video game from any system is a like item....and now we've come full circle. Again, I think YMMV sums it up best.

bread's done
Back