Replacement DVD Drive "Plug n' Play"

Speed Racer

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
Looks like the time has come to replace the DVD drive in my Xbox and I've got two questions. One, does anybody recommend a certain brand from the ones that are commonly listed on ebay? And two, are the drives that are listed as "Plug n' Play" actually that simple to install?

Just thought I would update this. I got the replacement drive today and installing it was very easy. The new drive works like a charm. :D

What drive did you get and how much? I just bought a thompson for $34 shipped. The other ones were just way to much.

[quote name='dmes65']What drive did you get and how much? I just bought a thompson for $34 shipped. The other ones were just way to much.[/QUOTE]

I got the Philips drive for $34.60 shipped.

Where did you guys get your DVD's at. I thought it was just my Xbox. I look for a replacement DVD drive and I find out this is a major problem. Microsoft should issue a recall or some kind of replacement. I play my PS2 10-times more than my Xbox and it still works great (got it at PS2 launch). I hope the Xbox 360 isn't made this way.

The Thompson drive on one of my other Xbox systems has started to crap out on me so I went ahead and bought 3 more replacement Philips drives off of ebay. If anyone is debating on whether or not they should replace their own drives I highly suggest you do. Seems like it's inevitable that the Thompson drives will fail and the Philips "plug and play" drives are very simple to install.

Well I had a stock samsung, and started getting ddr everynow and then, then happened with GTASA alot, and things stop loading, after its 6 months old. My friend had his for over 2 years and his sammy is fine.
But, I have a 360 with extended warrenty so im happy.

bread's done
Back