Replacement PSP's OK?

craab

CAGiversary!
Feedback
38 (100%)
I returned my PSP to Sony on Friday, and while Sony has been very helpful and friendly throughout the whole process, and gave me no trouble when I requested a return, I keep wondering if the replacement unit will be flawed also.
The one I returned had at least 8 dead pixels; some of which were in the center of the screen.

Does anyone have any experience getting Sony SCAE to replace these?
Are the replacement units typically fine, or should I expect to repeat this process several times before I get a "good" unit?

Thanks!

Was it actually "Dead" pixels or "Stuck" pixels?

There is a difference.

Dead pixels are black, won't light up.

Stuck pixels are stuck on. If it is white pixel, then all three colors are stuck on. If red, only red is stuck on...

Stuck pixels usually will eventually wake up and work again (in my experience). Dead pixels are just that, dead, and there is no hope, usually.

No matter what, give the PSP at least 2+ weeks before you decide the screen is defective. You might be surprised to find out they actually go away.

Just don't expect a 100% perfect screen right after opening up the PSP from the factory packaging.

Well - I guess it was a mix - there were 2 close to the middle that were dead.
Then there were 6 or more that I guess were "stuck" - they showed as white dots while
watching UMD video - and in some games - in others I could not notice it.
Either way - I am hoping sony sends me a "good" replacement, but I have my doubts.

It will be refurbished unit (what ever that means - could just be return from someone else with dead/stuck pixles that Sony feels is not defective).

I guess I was lucky. I bought two. First one had no problems. Second one had 4 stuck pixels, but the guys that work Saturday morning at EB said they would give me a new one after a week and said mine was defective (cool doods!).

Are you sure it will be "refurbished"?
The girl I talked to at Sony said it would be a new unit.
Although they would only be shipping me the unit, battery and AC adapter.
She told me to keep the rest of the stuff that came in the box.
Oh no - I hope I don't get one in worse shape than the one I sent back!
I am starting to regret ever getting a PSP...

[quote name='craab']Are you sure it will be "refurbished"?
The girl I talked to at Sony said it would be a new unit.
Although they would only be shipping me the unit, battery and AC adapter.
She told me to keep the rest of the stuff that came in the box.
Oh no - I hope I don't get one in worse shape than the one I sent back!
I am starting to regret ever getting a PSP...[/QUOTE]

I am pretty sure Sony will be sending you a refurbished unit (new to them since they have been "refurbished").

However, I think I read somewhere on here someone got a new one. If they are just sending you the system only (not original box, sealed, accessories, etc) then I would guess it is refurbished. The only thing you can do is wait and see.

What a screw job...
I pay $250.00 for a PSP that turns out to be faulty - Gamestop will not exchange it - Sony will, but now I get a refurb. I have essentially paid full price for a used system. Sweet. Sony is pissing me off.

You don't have any clue what "refurb" even means, do you? If nobody had brought it up, you wouldn't even be able to tell. They have to be restored to factory condition before they can be redistributed.

Don't worry.

You'll most likely get one in better condition then you had. Even if it is refurbished you probably won't even notice. Just like WSB said, it is restored to factory specifications/condition. Since you said yours had numerous stuck/dead pixels you will most likely get one in with much less.

Just wait and see. Be patient and settle down. Besides this is meant to play games on and enjoy, have fun. Don't worry about a little pixel or two if the unit still functions and you are able to have fun with it.

I hear you. I don't wanna' get too too anal about the whole thing - it is just that it is so damn expensive to have so many problems... If it is even slightly better than the one I sent in, I think I'll just let it be.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']You don't have any clue what "refurb" even means, do you? If nobody had brought it up, you wouldn't even be able to tell. They have to be restored to factory condition before they can be redistributed.[/QUOTE]

Being restored to factory condition doesn't mean it's going to look brand new. That just means that everything is working like brand new, ie the screen, sound, microprocessor or whatever, but it is still essentially used. There's no way to restore the faceplate to the way it was when it was first shipped. On some, there will still be scratches on the case and what not.

For me, i didn't feel like paying shipping to ship it to sony to get a used PSP since i never even played the thing much, so i traded it to blockbuster for 175 in credit.

[quote name='b3b0p']Was it actually "Dead" pixels or "Stuck" pixels?

There is a difference.

Dead pixels are black, won't light up.

Stuck pixels are stuck on. If it is white pixel, then all three colors are stuck on. If red, only red is stuck on...

Stuck pixels usually will eventually wake up and work again (in my experience). Dead pixels are just that, dead, and there is no hope, usually.

No matter what, give the PSP at least 2+ weeks before you decide the screen is defective. You might be surprised to find out they actually go away.

Just don't expect a 100% perfect screen right after opening up the PSP from the factory packaging.[/QUOTE]

There's no such thing as a 'stuck' pixel: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_pixel.:)

Let me know how the process ends.. You said you got no trouble with 8 but Sony's been giving my brother a bunch of sh*t for 6 (though they're not in the center, most are off center but far from the edges).

I think I rec'd 3 replacement PSPs before I got one that I like, which had no stuck/dead pixels. The only thing that sucks about that is paying the shipping with delco and insurance each time.

ALSO, make sure you sent in the paperwork; Sony held my PSP for three weeks without telling me anything because I didn't include a copy of the receipt. I told them "You're the damn people that sold it to me without a receipt!" If you return your replacement PSP, be sure to include a copy of the packing slip, or else wait forever like me.

They'll take it back until the end of time, but it's still a pain in the ass, with zero guarantee that you'll get a perfect console.

I sent in the receipt - followed their instructions to the "T". But I will deifinitely keep ALL the paperwork included with my replacemnt unit. I am worried that I'll get one that is scrathched up, beat up etc... I am already figuring there will be pixel problems.
Did your replacement units seem new/OK, aside form the pixel problems?
I assume you would not return it 3 times if they had sent you a satisfactory replacement the first time.

[quote name='Vinny']There's no such thing as a 'stuck' pixel: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_pixel.:)

Let me know how the process ends.. You said you got no trouble with 8 but Sony's been giving my brother a bunch of sh*t for 6 (though they're not in the center, most are off center but far from the edges).[/QUOTE]

Whatever.

A dead pixel that is lit, according to that article is not dead. Yeah, that makes sense.

I guess I am just a complete idiot though and have no idea what I am talking about, because Wikipedia knows all.

[quote name='b3b0p']Whatever.

A dead pixel that is lit, according to that article is not dead. Yeah, that makes sense.

I guess I am just a complete idiot though and have no idea what I am talking about, because Wikipedia knows all.[/QUOTE]

Wikipedia really does know all...lol...seriously, check it out. It's the combined work of 1 billion + people contributing to update the site every second.

[quote name='Americanpierg']Wikipedia really does know all...lol...seriously, check it out. It's the combined work of 1 billion + people contributing to update the site every second.[/QUOTE]

I know what wikipedia is. However, it has been known to not be right sometimes.

I just got it about ten minutes ago.
I opened the UPS box, and inside was a PSP
box with a sticker on it declaring it contained
a NEW:

PSP
AC power cord
AC adaptor
Battery

Inside I found 2 batteries! Apparently they returned the one from my original, and included a new, sealed battery. Score!
I plugged it in, and turned it on briefly to go through the setup, and it APPEARS that there are no pixel problems with it. I could not find an unlit or stuck pixel.
Now, this may change when I throw some video on it - we'll see. So far, I am very pleased with Sony's customer service. They were easy to handle on the phone, helpful, and the whole process from the time I mailed my old PSP to them, took 10 days. Not too shabby.
I'll let you know how it is. I wanna' play some Darkstalkers!

bread's done
Back