replayed MGS4's first two acts

Donutkid2222

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
The game is still quite one of the best. I felt it still didn't loose the power of story and tight game play. The presentation value of the game is better then a lot of movies that come out today.

The gameplay felt a bit dated at release and it's worse now IMO. As cool as the BnB crew was, they didn't make for great boss fights. The octocamo didn't improve the MGS gameplay at all, and it was essentially the same stealth gameplay we've had since MGS2 -- which actually did it better since MGS4 encourages weapon usage more.

I think MGS3 was a lot better paced between the cutscenes. MGS4 kind of just felt like a nostalgia fest -- which is cool and all, but I would appreciated a more improved evolution coming from the PS2 era.

i hated that game the only positive to it was the way you could customize weapons. the mp component was hard to get into and i hated all those damn cutscenes. yes you can skip them but when i go through my first playthrough of any game i always watch the cutscenes and doing that in mgs4 was torture. for a game that was supposed to be more about action it was very slow.

I've kept up with the entire Metal Gear: Solid series and have loved the cut-scenes and the story. There isn't much replay value, but if you rank up the difficulty it gets better. I do agree with the mp not being so user friendly or high paced but it was still a try. I know people say that graphics don't make the game, but come on have you seen these phenomenal graphics, I wish this was the standard of all games. Oh and as much as Rising stray's away from the whole stealth genre of the game it still looks badass, I mean come on you're cyborg with a Katana what more could you want?

I did the first two while skipping cutscenes a few months ago...pretty awesome. afraid to go further 'cause that's where it goes nanners

I am in love with the series, but played first act of MGS4 and could not get into it. It was such a departure from the iso-metric arcade feel of the previous games. I think the difficulty was obscuring the things I liked about it. That was a when it first came out, I am going to replay it in a couple months when I get it back from my brother... who co-incedently felt the same thing I did, and never finished it.

I actually just finished the game a few nights ago and was a bit disappointed by the whole thing. I had been looking forward to the game since release but did not pick up a PS3 until a few months ago. What killed the game for me was the huge hype attached to it. Everyone was telling me it was "the best game ever" and the best of the series hands down but after all the hype I felt let down.

Yeah, despite the fact that i had "fun" with it, and did beat the game, I really don't have fond memories of MGS4. Hell, I haven't even touched it since I beat the game.

I understand the complaints about the camera, and the gun play- but the reality of it is that this game takes place in dramatically different environments and scenarios than the previous games. You are in a warzone full of rebels for a lot of the game, and stray gun fire isn't going to cause too much of an alarm (like it would in a facility or even in a normal military facility). That change lead to more acceptible gunplay, and it dictated the camera change.

I think the game still looks amazing graphically. Still better than anything that the 360 offers. The boss fights did suck though. Really boring, except the last 2 boss fights.

[quote name='snowsquirrel']I am in love with the series, but played first act of MGS4 and could not get into it. It was such a departure from the iso-metric arcade feel of the previous games. I think the difficulty was obscuring the things I liked about it. That was a when it first came out, I am going to replay it in a couple months when I get it back from my brother... who co-incedently felt the same thing I did, and never finished it.[/QUOTE]

Funny, that was the thing that ALWAYS annoyed me about MGS, I was always going into first person view to look around for enemies and that lame camera always got me in trouble because I couldn't move it around to see where they were.

MGS3: Subsistence was the first MGS game where I felt I had control over the battlefield and could sneak more effectively than before. I even gave away my copy of Snake Eater because of that and re-bought the newer version.

Sidenote: The main reason for the isometric look was because Kojima and some of his staff got motion sickness playing the game with a movable camera. Stupid reason, but 100% true.

I'm kinda surprised by some of these responses... I'll admit that MGS4 was story heavy but it was one hell of a ride.

Seeing Eva and "Big Boss"? The MGS flashback scenes? Going back to Shadow Moses? Controlling Rex? The microwave scene? Naomi's plans? Raiden showing up as a badass? The big reveal at the end? The even bigger reveal after the end?

Either all of you were asleep during most of the game or you're all dead inside.

[quote name='Vinny']I'm kinda surprised by some of these responses... I'll admit that MGS4 was story heavy but it was one hell of a ride.

Seeing Eva and "Big Boss"? The MGS flashback scenes? Going back to Shadow Moses? Controlling Rex? The microwave scene? Naomi's plans? Raiden showing up as a badass? The big reveal at the end? The even bigger reveal after the end?

Either all of you were asleep during most of the game or you're all dead inside.[/QUOTE]

for me the story quality in mgs games has gone down with each one. i loved and still love mgs1. mgs2 was an amazing graphical /gameplay experience but the story started to get weird there and that ending was a major letdown.

i tried mgs3 but couldnt get pat the annoying camera so i bought the special version and i had some fun but couldnt get into it enough to bother finishing it.

mgs4 came off to me like a game that wanted to be a blockbuster movie and in doing that you were forced to sit through overly long cutscenes while kojima ejaculated all these wild ideas at you while you do your best to wait patiently so you can get into some actual gameplay.

i put mgs4 up there with gow3 and kh2 as games that caused me to not give a shit about the franchise anymore.but to be fair i think i was already half way there with mgs3. mgs4 just dealt the killing blow.

[quote name='lokizz']for me the story quality in mgs games has gone down with each one. i loved and still love mgs1. mgs2 was an amazing graphical /gameplay experience but the story started to get weird there and that ending was a major letdown.

i tried mgs3 but couldnt get pat the annoying camera so i bought the special version and i had some fun but couldnt get into it enough to bother finishing it.

mgs4 came off to me like a game that wanted to be a blockbuster movie and in doing that you were forced to sit through overly long cutscenes while kojima ejaculated all these wild ideas at you while you do your best to wait patiently so you can get into some actual gameplay.

i put mgs4 up there with gow3 and kh2 as games that caused me to not give a shit about the franchise anymore.but to be fair i think i was already half way there with mgs3. mgs4 just dealt the killing blow.[/QUOTE]

All of the MGS games had a cinematic vibe to them... maybe it didn't seem as obvious for the PS1/PS2 games since those systems weren't as technically capable.

bread's done
Back