Replaying games

funjoe

CAGiversary!
How often do you actually go back and replay a game? I'm talking about the "story" games, not necessarily sports games or on/offline multiplayer games that have inherent replay value. Most of the time I will resell a game as soon as I finish it, but there are a select few I enjoy enough to hang onto, thinking eventually I will go back and replay it at some point in the future. Yet in my long history of gaming I have never gone back and actually replayed a game from the start. There are just too many new games coming out that I want to play. Thoughts?

You should better define what you mean by replay. Is that going back to a game you have beaten or fail to? And is just playing some parts of the game count as a replay instead of beating again?

[quote name='laaj']You should better define what you mean by replay. Is that going back to a game you have beaten or fail to? And is just playing some parts of the game count as a replay instead of beating again?[/QUOTE]

In this case I would define it as "replaying" story mode (in whole or in part, on a higher difficulty, etc) of a game that you have already completed/beaten.

I keep games that had a strong impact on me the first time through, and in many cases I DO go back and play them; ie Resident Evil 4, Mass Effect, Max Payne 2, Shadow of the Colossus, Condemned, and a few others. But honestly, most I never go back to for the reason you state. Just too many new ones popping up and with time being so limited I just can't find the time any more. I only play about 4-6 hours total a week, so, you can see there is not much time to replay games. Hell, there's not much time to play ANY.

i have played gears 1 & 2 through about 4 or 5 times each, saints row i think 3 times(maybe 4), and saints row 2 twice (i plan on replaying saints 1 and then 2 after that soon). i am keeping fallout 3 to play again. i plan on playing bioshock atleast one more time. so yeah i keep games to play through multiple times, if i like them enough.

[quote name='crzyjoeguy']i have played gears 1 & 2 through about 4 or 5 times each, saints row i think 3 times(maybe 4), and saints row 2 twice (i plan on replaying saints 1 and then 2 after that soon). i am keeping fallout 3 to play again. i plan on playing bioshock atleast one more time. so yeah i keep games to play through multiple times, if i like them enough.[/QUOTE]

Wow. When you play through the second, third time etc do you play the games any differently, or on a higher difficulty?

[quote name='funjoe']Wow. When you play through the second, third time etc do you play the games any differently, or on a higher difficulty?[/QUOTE]

i up the difficulty, but both the gears i have beaten on the hardest difficulty (co-op of course, the first one is so much harder, and so much better :)) saints row and games like that, while i do up the difficulty if it is an option, i mainly play them again because i like free roam gta style games (but i like saints better then gta4) something like fallout, i will take diffrent perks and stuff like that to try and make my character slightly diffrent then before. and fable 2 i played through twice, once evil, and once good. i may get that game again a long time from now and play a third time, but thats kinda doubtfull.

If I'm feeling it, I'll go back and replay. Some linear games I've started up immediately after beating are Mass Effect, Metal Gear Acid 2, and Disgaea.

In sandbox games like GTA IV, Crackdown and Oblivion, I'll still tool around the world a little bit after I've beaten it, just because I really enjoyed the experience and there are hidden things to do.

Sometimes I wish I had fewer games so I'd have more time to replay some of my favorites (hard to replay something when I have so many unplayed games on the shelf). Thanks CAG. :)

I replay few games because I always have a backlog. RE4 and 5 are two I'm big on replaying; I've been through Mass Effect a couple times, but I tried to continue my Insane playthrough and the crappy framerate and technical fuckups that it only lasted five minutes.

Almost never. Exceptions are something with good co-op like Gears of War etc., where I many play through on the hardest difficulty with my buddy. Or playing something like an old Mario game a decade or two later.

Otherwise, I don't get much time to play as is, and would generally rather be playing through something for the first time.

Same with movies, I used to watch a lot of my DVD/BR collection, now I seldom touch those 300+ movies and just watch 1 or 2 movies for the first time from netflix (or in the theater) each week.

What are some games with big benefits of replaying through again and again? (I was actually thinking about this last night, weird)

For example when you beat RE1 you get the unlimited ammo for the magnum, or God of War I think has the best replayabilitly any game that lets you keep whatever you had at the end of the game after your first playthrough then lets you keep adding to it from there on in is awesome in my book.

It's rare for me to replay the same game on the same system. If I play single player, then play co-op, I don't consider that replaying the game, as the experience is different to me.

I will replay games when they are re-released on new systems. I've reaplyed lots of games on the DS, Disgaea, Chrono Trigger, etc.

Rarely do I replay a game immediately after beating it. RE4 being an exception.

Rarely... there are so many RPGs I want to go back and replay. I played most of them when I was young and recently, when I replayed Chrono Trigger, I realized that I missed so many elements of the story.

The only time I replay an old game is if it gets a remake of some sorts... like Metal Gear Solid The Twin Snakes or Chrono Trigger on the DS.

I replayed games to death from childhood up through high school when time was limitless (Final Fantasy 2/4 SNES about 5 times when I was 11 - 15; SNES Chrono Trigger countless times)...once college hit, I slowed down and completed most games once, like FF8 and 9 (I started backlogging games I'd never complete at this time - FFX-2, Viewtiful Joe, Zelda: Majora's Mask).

Now that I'm working full time and supporting myself, I'd be lucky if I have the time to finish a game like Phoenix Wright or any DS fighter. The DS has definitely become my system pick this generation as I rarely play my X360 or Wii.

Never, the only reason I might replay a game is for cheesemints, so if I have 1000 points in a game, I'll never play it again.

There are a few older games I've replayed through things like XBLA.

bread's done
Back