Report: Gamestop to offer more money for trade ins

I agree that it is bad news for us, but I don't think soccer moms will benefit much. Soccer moms don't have games to trade in, their kids do - hey little Timmy, do you want me to buy you a new game from GameStop? Yes. Hey little Timmy, do you want to get rid of the last game I bought you? No.
Hey Mom I want a new game.

Hey Timmy, you have 20 games already.

Hey mom you can trade these in for new ones.

Hey...ok.

I'm going to dump a bunch of stuff when the 50% coupons go active.

20% increase in all games, then 60% bonus (coupon and pur)...we probably won't see good trade in deals for a while at gamestop

So... I guess it's now ok to mass cancel all those pre-orders we put in just to get the bonuses...????

only in the cooperate world could we have a new company policy that changes the term "trade in" to "buy and sell" under the logic people don't know what trade ins are or that our store does trade ins and has for years now. complete with an example of a confused customer over the world trade in but is now suddenly excited about selling your stuff to us so you can buy stuff from us.

man I love lawyer talk

I'm not worried about this. Really the only competition GS ever had was BB/Amazon. Ebay and other trade/sell sites I would think put a huge dent in their business. Right now everyone is holding to there games while waiting out the gen transition or selling their collections through ebay/craiglist or something. 

Right now it just seems that CAG'ers are taking advantage of their deals and they are feeling the pinch so they have to switch tactics.  In a year or two when the games being released start flowing normally and turn over of used games from regular customers things will get back to business for GS and they offering lower TIV's and bigger bonuses.  It'll probably be a long while tell CAG'ers get a great deal again from GS once this policy takes place.

Well this means I'm going to get more money the week of 8/25 on this stack of games. 20% more on the base value + 50% coupon on the new base, and the 10% PUR. Yayyyy
I got a stack of shit I was gonna eBay. I got a feeling me, you, and a few others are gonna give them some hell with that coupon.

Gamestop has a lot of issues, but their TIVs aren't one.
Agreed. Assassin's Creed has a $2 TIV, they sell it for $10. How much do people really want to get in TIV for a $10 game?

[quote name="Confucius" post="11982713" timestamp="1407199775"]

Also, they announced that 20% more games will be gutted and sold as new.[/quote
I really lol'ed.

I got a stack of shit I was gonna eBay. I got a feeling me, you, and a few others are gonna give them some hell with that coupon.

Agreed. Assassin's Creed has a $2 TIV, they sell it for $10. How much do people really want to get in TIV for a $10 game?
I'm going through the backlog like crazy right now, trying to beat as many games as possible. I thought I was going to get a lot before this. This adds another $30 on top of that. Oh boy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone else going to come up with some funny responses when they tell you cash isn't the only way to pay? Lol
I swear Gamestop has some of the worst transaction punchlines every created. Trust me, nobody working at Gamestop actually wants to say that crap, but when the boss is standing nearby you swallow the bile in your mouth and spit out "have you heard that cash isn't the only way to pay here at Gamestop?" hoping the customer has already made it far enough out of ear shot they can't hear.

As for this program... they are removing the higher end values, which most Gamestop shoppers who USE the system benefit from, and add a larger value to the lower end for the people who have no clue what is happening. How is that supposed to be a smart move that benefits the customer? If they wouldn't make moves that alienate their few remaining loyal customers they might have a shot at holding some of their market share. It is almost like they can't wait to give it away!!

This isn't about us. If it's true at all, it's so that soccer moms and teenagers who trade to fund same-day purchases see Gamestop as a good, no hassle value. Boosting trades from that demo and cutting churn from net loss customers (and let's be honest, a lot of CAG flippers fall into that category) is good business sense.

This seems like a great topic for Shopping Discussions. Specific video game deal, not so much.
Who the fuck comes to the deals section for deals anymore? Come on man, this is the place for game announcements, msrp deals, discussions and free stuff.

Increase the base amount by 20% and still do promotions like trade-in today/towards this title and get an additional XX% credit. 

Don't bother explaining to the average customers/parents of gamers.  They won't complain, if they're getting more money.  The receipt should be enough to do that.

Makes more sense to me for Gamestop to be competitive/offer more incentives, when I have other places to sell my games.  There's Best Buy, Amazon, Target, Ebay, Walmart, and local mom/pop video game stores.

So what will be the better offer? The trade 2 PS4 games get $15 extra or the 20% bonus?
$15 for sure, even for a $30 TIV game a 20% bump will only be $6 whereas the $15 bump is giving you an extra $7.50 per game for 2 games.

The better question is whether waiting till end of the month if you have the 50% bonus coupons, but you are waiting 3 weeks during which TIVs could drop a lot, even after a 20% bump.

I'd rather have them ask me if I want to trade in or preorder a game 20% less.

How is it possible that 2/3 of their customers don't know what "trade-in" means? They legitimately try to molest me with their latest trade in flyer/deal every time I happen to even glance into their store.

I think what they meant by that is customers don't know what trade in promotions should use and ultimately get confused.

I know I had a few customers back when I use to work at Gamestop that would think I've trying to take their money with a promotion. I would tell them to pre-order this and that to get 50% TIV on this game. Simply don't pick up the game. Yeah they lose $5 (assuming they don't cancel) but they make $50+ in TIB. 

They would get confused by that and say "oh you're going to keep my $5", "but I don't want that game", "why can't I just get the bonus without the runaround". And they have great points, why do we need to do all this crap in order to show some imaginary number of pre-orders that ultimately mean nothing.

I prefer this just straight up TIV, no bullshit. But I expect TIV's to drop right now and than magically increase to less than what it is now.

Really wish that they'd also start to turn away copies of games where the discs are scratched to hell, instead of taking them.  Because usually those copies that are sent back to the warehouse to be "refurbished" look like crap and will still have problems.

It might lessen the quantity of copies they have, but it would also drop the amount of their defective returns too.

Yeah I can't see this raising the earnings for gamers too much. I suppose to those who go there often, it's a great thing, but I'll pass on it. Much better alternatives out there than going to GS in my opinion. 

bread's done
Back