Request, CPU power supply info

auralia

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
i'm not a complete noob i've done little things like ram, but i'm looking to get a new video card (currently looking at radeon x1600 512 card for about 130ish to 160ish) but to get this card i need a new power supply as i have a weak 320. I am looking at 520's and 600's. My question is are all Power supplys the same size? will just about every one out there fit in my computer (i have an hp 1050y media center w/ 2.8 P4 and 2 gig of ram (512x4) w/ 160gb hard drive and rt now i have a radeon 600 256 card w/ 4 pipelines)

the Video card will go in a PCI express slot.

The power supply i'm looking at now is this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16817148002

(i like this one cuz 3 fans w/ adjustable speed)

w/ this card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16814131009

do these sound like they will work?

Cheaper PSU = cheaply made PSU = higher chance of it failing under loads.

Even though you have a lot of spare power, you really don't need all that wattage.. I'm calculating 280 watts needed. But that PSU has great amperage ratings, 35A on the +12V rail is more than enough for a single GPU which is something a lot of people overlook.

What you have will work, definitely.

With a >70% efficient PSU, you should be fine with 400-450 watts so 520 is more than enough... and I wouldn't cheap out too much on a PSU.

I'm not pickey on price of the power supply under 100 bucks would be nice, but in actuality if something is worth the extra it costs I'm willing to pay for it. If I get a good one now there is a good chance it can be "recycled" into my next PC.

Make sure that it is the correct power pin for your mobo. Look where the power supply connects to the motherboard and count how many slots in one row then double it. That's how you get the power pin information, that's really the only compatibility issue.

Sometimes, cases from a vendor like HP will have a nonstandard slot for the power supply. Check to see that your current power supply is a standard size, or if your case will accept a standard power supply. Also, some vendors like Dell will use nonstandard power connectors on their motherboards. Check to make sure your board uses a standard power connector.

[quote name='dafoomie']Sometimes, cases from a vendor like HP will have a nonstandard slot for the power supply. Check to see that your current power supply is a standard size, or if your case will accept a standard power supply. Also, some vendors like Dell will use nonstandard power connectors on their motherboards. Check to make sure your board uses a standard power connector.[/QUOTE]

That's a very good point... my brother has an HP in which he upgraded the PSU and said it was a total bitch move things out of the way to install it but it infact did work.

One thing you should know about PSUs: many times the manufacturer will use generous numbers. Try to find some professional reviews. User reviews are good for personal insight, but professional reviews actually test PSU with equipment to get actual numbers.

what is the standard size for a power supply?

I have been in my case the powersupply is easily accessable (thank god) .... and the pci slots as well, mind that it took me over an hour to install two sticks of ram because they were hidden behind a stupid verticle drive port made to take an external hardrive (don't have one, talk about a rip off the one that "fits" in this slot is about 3x's a generic counter part)....

I do regret not getting a custom built PC or making one myself, but when I bought this it was a reallly good deal it was 2.8 p4 w/ 1gb ram 160 hard drive, x600 256 vid card, Dvd/CDRW, w/ a TV tuner card and windows media center along w/a nice 17inch lcd for less than 800 bucks and this was in septemberish 2004 (had to get the monitor as i was running a laptop before so i couldn't just get a tower and hook it to an old monitor).

bread's done
Back