Request: Deal on a 5.1 or better audio receiver.

jagwire1141

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Hello all. I'm in need of a 5.1 audio receiver for my tiny dorm room of course. Who wouldn't need surround sound in a closet? I'd mainly be using it to obviously listen to music and enjoy some dvd's and games. It doesn't need to be too amazing it just needs to do 5.1 and as well as the features I listed below. Anyway my budget is $200 although hopefully less.

The receiver needs to have the following features:

-5.1 surround sound output, optical in (for my 360)
- The speaker outputs need to be for speaker wire and not for RCA type cables (I'm not sure if this is an issue but it's always better to be clear)
-3 RCAs in for other electronics. 3 isn't set in stone, the more the better and if there's only two then I'll live.
-I'd like the receiver to be able to decode DTS cd's as many David Bowie cd's are available in that format.
-500 watts sounds about right although no lower than 400 and the higher the better.

Please feel free to recommend your personal experience with your receivers and let me know of any options that I didn't list that I might appreciate. I have my eye on the Sherwood RD-6500 although I'm not sure if that's a reputable brand. I ran it through pricegrabber and I can get it for about $140 shipped.

Don't worry about speakers or anything. I'm picking up some huge 'ol speakers at some thrift stores and I'll buy a good set for Christmas. I'll also just buy a few spools of speaker wire off monoprice but if anyone has any better suggestion feel free to speak up. I'm not sure if you can do much better than the Sherwood RD-6500 but I'd love to be proven wrong.

bread's done
Back