Request: HDTV 37" or higher for $600-$800...

Seriously... ?

I just picked up a 37" Olevia for 800 at newegg.com and I thought that was a steal... If you want a 37 I really doubt youll find a decent one for under 1k

I got a 42" plasma @ costco not too long ago for $900. Just check them every now and again cuz they always have good stuff on the cheap.

Costco has a 37-inch Vizio LCD for $899. Looks like an awesome set - completely shames the Plasma sitting next to it whenever I see it in store.

[quote name='chemical']Costco has a 37-inch Vizio LCD for $899. Looks like an awesome set - completely shames the Plasma sitting next to it whenever I see it in store.[/QUOTE]

Seconded. Plus, you can't beat costco's return policy. Ever.

Not sure about Vizio's anymore. I work at Sam's and I used to sell a shit load of these TV's. One day I came into work and found about 7-8 Vizio TV's ( 32 inch, 37 inch, and 42 inch LCD's ) that had just come back from Vizio from being repaired since there was something wrong with them. Sure they have a great price point but I picked up my 37 inch Magnavox at Sam's for 993.00 which is only 100.00 more then the Vizio and the Magnavox had a far better picture then the Vizio.

Seconding Chacrana's comment. I don't know much about TV's, but one thing I DO know is that you're better off saving to buy a good 37" TV than buying whatever you might find for a low price range that's likely to be crap. You'll (hopefully) be using the TV for the next several years so it's better to put it off till you can afford a really nice one or the prices come down.

i picked up a refurb 37" vizio from geeks.com for 700 and it's been great, had it for a couple of months now with no porblems what so ever.

[quote name='BasketCase1080']OP note that is a HD Monitor, and not an HDTV.[/quote]

To clear things up, that only makes a difference if you plan on hooking up an antenna. Most people are going to hook up a cable box for HD.

HDTV Monitor (or HDTV-ready) = No over-the-air tuner

Actually in reality, most people won't change ANYTHING about their current setup and think they're getting an HD signal anyway.

[quote name='getfckedx']he's saying that it doesn't come with a tuner, you would have to buy that seperately if you want to watch normal television channels.

a vcr, or cable box would work as well.. just not cable that comes out of the wall..[/QUOTE]

ahh.

yeah no tuner is built in.

as long as u have cable tv. ur good to go.

OK...

1. I was looking at the Olevia, but it says call for availability which pretty much means its OOS.

2. I dont mind not having a Tuner cause I will be using an HD box.

3. How's the Vizio's quality? Anything about it that bothers you? And whats Costco's policy on returns...

4. Whats everyones opinions on Projection TVs?

Thanks for the responses...

personally, i think if you are looking for HD cheap, you should go with a PROJECTOR

i am not sure what the latest models in vogue are nowadays but i play my 360 in HD in approximately 90 inches of glory

i paid $830 for mine and have been very happy

the one downside to projector life is that you do need to play in a dark room which limits your ability to multi-task

[quote name='andrew333']personally, i think if you are looking for HD cheap, you should go with a PROJECTOR

i am not sure what the latest models in vogue are nowadays but i play my 360 in HD in approximately 90 inches of glory

i paid $830 for mine and have been very happy

the one downside to projector life is that you do need to play in a dark room which limits your ability to multi-task[/quote]

I'd have to strongly disagree here. I currently use a projector (Panasonic AE900U). The projector is native 720p and looks fantastic, however it is not a good choice for most people. You need to have a room where you can control ambient light quite well. I have a home theater, so this isn't an issue for me. It's nice to have a 120" screen, but you have to have the appropriate setup for it. Not only do you need a dark room, but you also need to worry about bulb life. Bulbs are anywhere from $200-$450 and are commonly replaced after 1000-2000 hours.

That being said, OP, I would check fatwallet or slickdeals. I've seen lots of lower-end tv's on there in the past few weeks for $700-$900. You may also want to check your local Home Depot. They had a 42" magnavox plasma the last time I was in there (last week) for $897.

[quote name='ZForce']Seconding Chacrana's comment. I don't know much about TV's, but one thing I DO know is that you're better off saving to buy a good 37" TV than buying whatever you might find for a low price range that's likely to be crap. You'll (hopefully) be using the TV for the next several years so it's better to put it off till you can afford a really nice one or the prices come down.[/QUOTE]

How old is this theory? It hasn't been true of ANY electronics in years. Anyone who honestly thinks paying twice as much for a TV automagically makes it better needs to gets slapped out of their commercialized fantasy world.

Or, better yet, stay in it, your negative savings rate is keeping this country afloat. Good job American consumer!

the vizio is great, especially for the money.

i did alot of research on it and was on the fence for quite awhile.

however, SD sources dont look so hot, and i get some ghosting every now and then. but with the 360 and my dvd player everything looks fantastic.

Office Depot had the Olevia 437 which is a 37" with built in tuner for $999 with a $200 mail-in rebate. Some people were having success pricematching it to hhgregg.com for $799 and then sending in the rebate for a final price of $599. Even at $800 I would reccomend this TV. Olevias really do have a great picture and the only lacking feature is 1080p support... but TV is only broadcast in 720p anyway.

If you want to spend a bunch of money for a big brand name TV, go right ahead... but it's usually not worth it.

The Olevia on Frys is backordered. Does anyone know if that was a one time shipment thing, or do you think they would get more in?

[quote name='One51']The Olevia on Frys is backordered. Does anyone know if that was a one time shipment thing, or do you think they would get more in?[/quote]
I would also like to know this, I ordered this TV from Fry's about a week ago and have been calling everyday since to ask about their next shipment. I can never get thru to them I always get music for 20 minutes.

My new Vizio 37' OWNS both my Olievia 32's. I like watching TV while I play 360 side by side. With the built in tuner and standard direct connect cable I can still watch the HD stations without a box. The Colors are also Truer on the Vizio.

So far I have had

Samsung CRT HDTV 27'
Samsung Plasma EDTV 42'
Olevia LCD HDTV 32'
Samsung DLP HDTV 42'
Olevia LCD HD monitor 32'
Olevia LCD HD monitor 37'
Vizio LCD HDTV 37' (current)

[quote name='Michaellvortega']My new Vizio 37' OWNS both my Olievia 32's. I like watching TV while I play 360 side by side. With the built in tuner and standard direct connect cable I can still watch the HD stations without a box. The Colors are also Truer on the Vizio.

So far I have had

Samsung CRT HDTV 27'
Samsung Plasma EDTV 42'
Olevia LCD HDTV 32'
Samsung DLP HDTV 42'
Olevia LCD HD monitor 32'
Olevia LCD HD monitor 37'
Vizio LCD HDTV 37' (current)[/quote]
wait, you can play and watch on 1 TV?

[quote name='pop311']wait, you can play and watch on 1 TV?[/QUOTE]

Yeah it's pretty awesome, half the TV for 1 input and half the tv for another input. You can switch the audio between at will too. I use this when I'm in Que for a Halo match. For all the features the Vizio has and at a $800 out the door price, it was really a steal PLUS Sams Club 3 year warranty was $60 and the whole purchase was 3 years no interest. I will deffintaly buy a bigger Vizio later in the year when I move.

[quote name='Michaellvortega']Yeah it's pretty awesome, half the TV for 1 input and half the tv for another input. You can switch the audio between at will too. I use this when I'm in Que for a Halo match. For all the features the Vizio has and at a $800 out the door price, it was really a steal PLUS Sams Club 3 year warranty was $60 and the whole purchase was 3 years no interest. I will deffintaly buy a bigger Vizio later in the year when I move.[/quote]are you being sarcastic? I am serious, i am very gullible.

[quote name='ZForce']Seconding Chacrana's comment. I don't know much about TV's, but one thing I DO know is that you're better off saving to buy a good 37" TV than buying whatever you might find for a low price range that's likely to be crap. You'll (hopefully) be using the TV for the next several years so it's better to put it off till you can afford a really nice one or the prices come down.[/QUOTE]

See saving for a better tv used to be true. But we live in a time where all manufacturs buy there LCD screen, adn sets from the same 3 manufactures in China. Vizio which is at costco, and sams. Are new in the market under the name Vizio. But they make Maganovox, and Westinghouse lcds. The point is find a tv you like the looks of then do research and look up reviews to see if its the best one to have. Thats the best thing you could do.

Anyone know anything about the 37" Magnavox that Target B&M sells?

I work at Target, so I'd like to get an HDTV there in-store with my discount. I don't usually like buying stuff this fragile and expensive online.

I've lost over a hundred bucks just shipping back defecive units in these last few weeks.

bread's done
Back